Taylor style keys

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
texasbagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Taylor style keys

Post by texasbagpiper »

I've only seen the flat style Taylor keys in pictures and I love the way it looks.. From what I have reasearched in pictures, It looks as if the mounts are somewhat teardrop shaped and do not wrap all the way around the bottom on the regs... I can see the hole for the pin that holds the key but wonder how these bad boys are mounted to the wood....

I'd like to try this method just need some of the seasoned guys to chime in on this topic.... :)
No E

Post by No E »

Perhaps you should get a copy of the article titled "Taylor Style Keywork" by David Quinn that has appeared in serial form in the last several issue of "The Pipers' Review." Surely you subscribe.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

No E wrote:Perhaps you should get a copy of the article titled "Taylor Style Keywork" by David Quinn that has appeared in serial form in the last several issue of "The Pipers' Review." Surely you subscribe.

No E
Thanks, I already have that one....

See http://www.hotpipes.com/pipe0022.html
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

For info and a few pics:

http://web.telia.com/~u46103557/taylor.html

For images of the K&Q Taylor-style chanters, this is the best link I know of:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_k&q.html

The latter contains photos of PD'A's set but also a boxwood K&Q chanter in the Taylor style (Paddy Keenan's?)
Last edited by PJ on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Seth, if you are current member of the Irish Piper's Club, and receive the Piper's Review, you can ask Wally Charm for back issuse of the publication (I think it is 10 cents a page?). It is all brought to light there by one D. M. Quinn.

Failing that, write Mr. Quinn and ask for the information you desire.... what's it gonna hurt?
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I know I have it at the house. I'll have to find it and read it again, its been a while.. Thanks Guys
malanstevenson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Tex,

you could also purchase D.M. Quinn's CD (advertised in the latest Piper's Review), which has an amazing amount of visual documentation of the details of various Taylor and Taylor-style sets, as well as past articles he's written on that and other topics that have appeared in various places.

The pics also make dandy screensavers.

Cheers,
Mark
Joseph E. Smith

malanstevenson wrote:Tex,

you could also purchase D.M. Quinn's CD (advertised in the latest Piper's Review), which has an amazing amount of visual documentation of the details of various Taylor and Taylor-style sets, as well as past articles he's written on that and other topics that have appeared in various places.

The pics also make dandy screensavers.

Cheers,
Mark
Thanks, I think that I will..... ummmm... next month, as funds allow. :D

Seth,

I cannot think of anyone, ANY-one (beyond K&Q), who have done more in bringing the Taylor's work to light. Contact DMQ... again... what have you got to lose?
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

The recent series of articles on Taylor-style keywork I wrote for the Seattle Irish Pipers' Club's Piper's Review explain in prolix detail how I go about making keys in that style, but nobody can be exactly sure how the Taylors did it. The best we can do, at this stage, is to look carefully at what the Taylors left behind, and then figure out how to do something similar. Looking at and handling the real thing is very revealing, and one can form a great steaming pile of false conclusions and surmises by looking at photographs which may have been intended to show the piper rather than the pipes. Been there, got the steaming pile to prove it.

But to stay in a constructive vein: the bearing plates are let into the wood and then riveted in place.

These photographs are of a regulator (still rough in the pictures) I made a couple years ago with the express purpose of getting Friar D'Arcy to pop the lakhs of rupees he paid for his set. It worked.
djm

Post by djm »

Wow. The colour shots reveal the detail much better than the low-res b&w images in Pipers' Review. Does the CD have the colour shots?

Also, is there any finallity of your writing with this CD, or does it just represent a milestone? I am seriously thinking of getting a copy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

I would think it is a work in progress...
billh

Post by billh »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I would think it is a work in progress...
Let us hope! :-)
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

The CD has all of the ur-images from which the B&W illustrations in the Review were made, as well as another 1000 or so.

I spend a few minutes almost every morning writing about the work, so I'm guessing the stuff will keep piling up.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

DMQuinn wrote:The recent series of articles on Taylor-style keywork I wrote for the Seattle Irish Pipers' Club's Piper's Review explain in prolix detail how I go about making keys in that style, but nobody can be exactly sure how the Taylors did it. The best we can do, at this stage, is to look carefully at what the Taylors left behind, and then figure out how to do something similar. Looking at and handling the real thing is very revealing, and one can form a great steaming pile of false conclusions and surmises by looking at photographs which may have been intended to show the piper rather than the pipes. Been there, got the steaming pile to prove it.

But to stay in a constructive vein: the bearing plates are let into the wood and then riveted in place.

These photographs are of a regulator (still rough in the pictures) I made a couple years ago with the express purpose of getting Friar D'Arcy to pop the lakhs of rupees he paid for his set. It worked.

Lovely, I think I need to get the CD ... Thank DQ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I have the CD and I can assure you it is a deep and rolling ocean of information. Thousands of photos and literature. A priceless resource to any piper interested in the very fine art of pipemaking and just piping in general. I would imagine it is of interest to most pipers.

YES!

Patrick.