100 of Britain's dirtiest placenames

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

100 of Britain's dirtiest placenames

Post by fearfaoin »

Apparantly, England has some placenames that can be mistaken for very dirty words indeed. In fact, someone has written a book about 100 of the most misconstrueable placenames in England:
http://tinyurl.com/9zm54

According to the article,
It was inspired by a story of a young couple who moved out of their new home on Butt Hole road after taxi-drivers and delivery people refused to visit, believing them to be pranksters.
Some of my favorites:
- Mudchute, London
- Old Sodom Lane, Wiltshire
- Friars Entry, Oxfordshire
- Titty-Ho, Northamptonshire
- Sandy Balls, Hampshire
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I don't know if anyone has tried collecting them, but Ireland is full of blue Gaelic placenames. They differ very much from the English names for the same places. One of my favourites is a place called "Turn Your Arse to the Wind".

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: 100 of Britain's dirtiest placenames

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:
Some of my favorites:
- Mudchute, London
- Old Sodom Lane, Wiltshire
- Friars Entry, Oxfordshire
- Titty-Ho, Northamptonshire
- Sandy Balls, Hampshire
Now I know why I like Brits so much!
I think I'll stop on down to Ye Old Amazon.com real quick... :lol:

I'd love to know how some of these places got their names!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

When we were in St. Albans, our group of sixth graders got a tremendous tickle out of a sign that read "humps" (meaning speed bumps). 'Course, it doesn't take much to get a 12-year-old's mind thinking of the dirty deed! :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

If you go to the village of Ludford, just a few miles down the road from me, the locals will try and tell you that Fanny Hands Lane (number 12 on the list) is named after a local teacher but us Ludensians don't believe 'em. :wink:

The Lincolnshire pronunciation of the village called Folkingham raises a few eyebrows as well. If you want to practice yellowbelly talk, it's Fuk'n'em.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Redwolf wrote:When we were in St. Albans, our group of sixth graders got a tremendous tickle out of a sign that read "humps" (meaning speed bumps). 'Course, it doesn't take much to get a 12-year-old's mind thinking of the dirty deed!
The entire North American contingent of the international student body last September started giggling when this image was shown during orientation:

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Redwolf wrote:When we were in St. Albans, our group of sixth graders got a tremendous tickle out of a sign that read "humps" (meaning speed bumps). 'Course, it doesn't take much to get a 12-year-old's mind thinking of the dirty deed! :lol:

Redwolf
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, you gotta love kids!
Did they think it was a warning or an invitation? :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The link goes to the "Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph".
Is there really a place called Scunthorpe and if so, what kind of person would want to live there???????

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:The link goes to the "Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph".
Is there really a place called Scunthorpe and if so, what kind of person would want to live there???????

Slan,
D. :D
given the picture...isn't that self answering?
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Careful there Dubh, They are watching you. :o
(BTW, my name is John)
mukade

Post by mukade »

They aren't naughty names, but there are two villages close to where I was born called 'Pity Me' and 'No Place.'

Proof>>

http://www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk/Pla ... to%20O.htm

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

mukade wrote:They aren't naughty names, but there are two villages close to where I was born called 'Pity Me' and 'No Place.'

Proof>>

Mukade
I remember my Mum telling me that on a visit over that way she'd once seen a very overloaded bus with Pity Me written on the front.
(BTW, my name is John)
mikk

Post by mikk »

My surname is Skinner. When I was in Cornwall a few years ago. I posed against this sign baring my not so sunny side
Thankfully I seem to have lost the photo now !!
I can expect the situation to improve not worsen !!
mukade

Post by mukade »

jbarter wrote:
mukade wrote:They aren't naughty names, but there are two villages close to where I was born called 'Pity Me' and 'No Place.'

Proof>>

Mukade
I remember my Mum telling me that on a visit over that way she'd once seen a very overloaded bus with Pity Me written on the front.
:D

True Story:
One day many years ago, my father's friend was delivering a goat, as one does, to an acquaintance in No Place. The friend was a Welshman with a rather strong accent.

That day, with the goat sticking its head out of the rear window bleating for all it was worth. he pulled up to several people and asked, 'Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to nowhere?'

Mirth and laughter ensued.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I wonder how they missed Ticklepenny Walk in Louth.
(BTW, my name is John)