And while I'm at it - Jon C. flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

And while I'm at it - Jon C. flute

Post by herbivore12 »

Even before I got the Gallagher which came yesterday, I received a blackwood flute from Jon C. (with his trademark fancy engraved rings). An embarassment of riches (due to timing; I ordered the Gallagher some time ago, last autumn; Jon's flute came about six weeks or so after I ordered it, I think.).

I've had this flute for some weeks now, and really like it. It's a large-holed Rudall model (Rudall & Carte, I think?), also with a partially-lined headjoint and nifty screw-cork adjuster (again, a surprise thrown in by the maker!).

It's a great player, and one of the best deals I've seen in flutedom. It turns out I'm more of a big-holed flute guy (I sold my excellent Bryan Byrne flute, for example, but have kept Jon's larger-holed flute), and I find this flute play beautifully. The flute plays well in tune, is capable of plenty of volume, and is comfortable to hold and to play. It's a substantial flute, bigger in diameter than even my Gallagher Pratten. Deep embouchure chimney, nicely softened toneholes, and those lovely rings (everyone comments on them).

I'd heartily recommend one of Jon's flutes to anyone looking to get into the wooden-flute game. Considering that I just payed about five times for the Gallagher what I paid for Jon's flute, it's a bargain! I paid extra to get the blackwood and the silver rings; I think you can get them even cheaper from Jon in alternate woods and with different rings.

And mine came shipped in fancy Tupperware, with each section neatly placed in a gym sock! Boy, I hope Jon washed them first!

A great option for a new flute player, or for anyone wanting to try a larger-holed Rudall-style flute.
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

My Jon C. flute of similar design also came in a tupperware, but with the pieces wrapped in what appeared to be a retired sweatshirt. :)
I've had it for about 4 months, and I can really open up the sound now. It's got a nice tone that seems to cut through particularly well. I couldn't be happier.
Mike
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I didn't get any of Jon's clothing...I feel left out, Jon...maybe some dirty underwear?

In all honesty, Jon's flutes have, time and again, blown me away. I've tried many other flutes and love the Blackwood R&R flute I got about 7-8 months ago from him. Aesthetics are incredible and the flute only gets better with age.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

michael_coleman wrote:I didn't get any of Jon's clothing...I feel left out, Jon...maybe some dirty underwear?

In all honesty, Jon's flutes have, time and again, blown me away. I've tried many other flutes and love the Blackwood R&R flute I got about 7-8 months ago from him. Aesthetics are incredible and the flute only gets better with age.
Me too, no tupperware, or underwear! Don't really want either, by the way, thanks just the same!

I got what I wanted; a beautiful wooden flute (Bocote) at a great price, that sounds wonderful (actually sounds the best of all the flutes I've played)!

You may meet a nicer guy that makes flutes, but I doubt it. Thanks, Jon! Keep doing what you do best, and keep the underwear!
~~~~
Barry
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: And while I'm at it - Jon C. flute

Post by Jon C. »

And mine came shipped in fancy Tupperware, with each section neatly placed in a gym sock! Boy, I hope Jon washed them first!
I didn't realize the tupperware would get such raving reviews! Those were nice socks too! And clean...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Jon,

Do you have a webpage or some place that I could look at pictures of your flutes and maybe hear some clips?

Thanks!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

dow wrote:Jon,

Do you have a webpage or some place that I could look at pictures of your flutes and maybe hear some clips?

Thanks!
Hi Dow,
No website, but here is a webshot picture album.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jon_sparky
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Thanks Jon. Very nice work.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Jon,

I don't like your pictures of my flute. :oops: They really don't do it justice. No offence intended. But, your flutes are truly spectacular and deserve better presentation. These photos are a little better. Don't mind the spit in the head joint; it's hard to handle this flute without playing it. :)

This is also one of his large-holed Rudalls. It plays well in tune, with plenty of volume, and can easily yeild a deep hollow tone or something more reedy by slight adjustments of embouchure.

Thanks Jon!

Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

WhOA there, enough of this picture posting. it's going to lead me to sin.
Everyone likes music
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Story of my life.