We're moving! And I'd like some advice

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

We're moving! And I'd like some advice

Post by izzarina »

I hate to bother everyone with this, but I think I'm finally to a point where I could use a bit of advice, as it seems to be a forgone conclusion that we are indeed going to move. I've been kind of sitting on the whole thing for a while now (and I'm not one who likes to keep secrets of this caliber ;) ), because it was always prefaced with an "if". Now, it seems that the "if" has become a "when".

Anyway, now that I've bored you all to tears, I'll get to the point. It seems that we are moving to Ireland (Co. Mayo to be specific) hopefully by the spring. At this point it will only be for a year, but we are hoping that it will eventually turn into a long term thing. We have to establish residency first, and then we can look into citizenship if it seems to be working out (for us, as well as the "powers that be" in the government). I actually have done quite a bit of homework on the topic, and I know the logistics behind it all for the most part. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this type of thing. I've never moved this far...I've been all over the U.S. but of course that is a completely different thing entirely. State to state can't be compared to country to country. I'm really not sure what to ask specifically here, so I'm kind of hoping that my starting this thread will spark some questions in my head to ask. Has anyone from the U.S. moved overseas? If so, what did you encounter? I'd love any and all input. Oh, and for the record, this isn't for "sentimental" reasons. In other words, we're not wanting to move there to live in some quaint little cottage and let my kids chase after the leprechauns. Although the cottage part doesn't sound too bad....I'd love to find one that needs to be fixed up and not put too much in the way of "updates" into it.
I do know that Moxy had looked into this, but I don't believe that she ever went through with it (a good friend here has already forwarded me the link to that discussion way back when ;) ). I'd love to know how far she actually got, which means that I hope she reads this thread ;)

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

That's far-freakin'-out Izz.
Are you going to give us a hint as to why?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Tag/flea/garage sale everything that you possibly can. Give away even more. Get rid of EVERYTHING possible that doesn't have deep sentimental value.

Of the remaining items, carefully box, label, and store nearly everything else.

Take with you only what is absolutely necessary. (Some may be deeply sentimental or 'non-useful' but it must be necessary for your mental health.) Don't bring ANY clothing that you haven't worn in the past year.

A friend who did this move said that he tried to think like his grandparents did when they crossed the ocean in the other direction. He arrived in his new home with what was necessary, and enough cash to buy what he needed, and have shipped what he missed. He moved back two years later (again leaving pretty much everything behind) pulled his furniture out of storage, and went on with his life.

Good luck to you in your new endeavor!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

There are a couple of really good books out there that I highly recommend. Both are intended for people moving to Ireland. One is "Culture Shock! Ireland" by Patricia Levy and the other is "Adapter Kit Ireland" by "Steenie Harvey. The first is to help you get used to the very different cultural standards, the second is a practical guide to moving, living and working in Ireland.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well done Izzy, I'm proud of ye :)

When you get to Mayo make sure you have plenty of raincoats and wellies for the kids it rains a fair bit over there.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

My advise: TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!-------- PUH-LEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!!

I promise to be good. Really I do. I'll do ANYTHING. I even do windows. JUST SAY YOU'LL TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! I'll be as quiet as a church mouse, and you'll never know I'm there. But, PUH-LEEEEEEEEEZ ----- oh, pretty please, with sugar and honey on it!!!

So . . . do I get to go???? Huh??? How about it??? C'mon . . . be a sport!!! Take a chance!!! Whadduhya say??? Hmmm-mmm-mmm . . .???

Your very best friend,

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Re: We're moving! And I'd like some advice

Post by avanutria »

izzarina wrote:Has anyone from the U.S. moved overseas?

Hiya Izzy, can I come visit you? Please feel free to email me any questions, my situation was different than yours but I'd be glad to help if I can.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Izz, do you have room in your boxes for your ol' friend Ad and two more children?? :D

Seriously, I am SO thrilled that this has materialized for you-- I was sending all the good energy towards it that I could muster. You must be so excited and nervous, along with a whole myriad of other emotions. I'm doing a happy dance for you and your whole family! Good on you, LLT!!!!

~Ad
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Whatever you have in boxes, use those file boxes (from Costco or wherever) so they are uniform and stack easily. A potpourri of box sizes is a nightmare. Mark 'em well and whether they end up in a storage facility or at your new home, you'll know what's in 'em. This helped me a lot when I had to move 24 years of my stuff. Much of it went into a storage facility for several years. I wonder if they have those places (or something like it) in Ireland?

If so, and if you can afford it, it sure helps you to get yourself into the new place without being overwhelmed by the stuff. I take it you are shipping most of your possessions in a container by sea, right?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Ok, trying to answer lots of stuff in one post (yes, rather unlike me, I know ;) ).

Emm...there are actually quite a few reasons. First off, this country is a mess, as many of us well know. And before anyone thinks I'm turning this into a political post, let me explain a bit. A while back we had a discussion on culture, particularly on the culture here in the US. I think it was Bloomfield that summed it all up so well when he said that our culture is a Fast Food culture (major paraphrasing here....sorry about that Bloo. I'm no good at searching). I'm not a fast food type of person, and I crave simplicity in a big way. I like things to be more slow paced in my life...I don't like to have to jump into my car to drive for 10 minutes or more just to get a gallon of milk. I would much prefer a more pedestrian lifestyle. Unfortunately, I'm finding that type of life to be lacking in this country. Everything we do is dependent upon a freeway and a car, and it seems that all I do is run. I want my kids to understand what it means to have simplicity. Now granted, this is not a concept that I myself have achieved as of yet, so I may not be able to achieve it at all. But I'm willing to try. I do know that there is a slower pace in European countries (at least from what I have been told by people who live there...they always seem to be so appalled by our always on the go lifestyles). The reason why it came down to Ireland is more because of the language than anything else. If I knew how to speak another language, I might be inclined to look elsewhere, but I cannot, at least not fluently, so I was stuck with the places that had English as a primary language. Also, I know people in Ireland, which doesn't hurt.
Also, we have to move anyway. I have 2 sons with asthma which has been severe this summer. I can't tell you how many times I've had to take them to the ER when I thought it was all under control. So staying where I am is not an option (Steel country....there's coal dust everywhere). So, if we have to move, why not do something more bold and adventurous and move overseas? :) My oldest will be 18 in a little over a couple of years, so if we're going to do this as a family, now is the time to do it. Plus, what makes it easy is that we don't have to worry about work (hubby's job comes with him) and so we won't be sapping the economy (well, except for school, because I'm thinking I may send the kids there). Even insurance will be taken care of because after we sell our house, we'll be able to purchase it and not have to rely on the gov't run type.
Hopefully that answered your question....I just looked up and good grief it got long!

Tyg, thank you SO much for that advice. Much of it I knew, but I was kind of content thinking that I could take most of our stuff anyway. Relaying what your friend did made so much sense, and it made me think about it all some more. With the size of this family, I need to make sure that I take as little as possible.

Red, thank you for the book recommendations. I found one of them in our inter-library loan, and I should have it by the end of the week. The other I may have to purchase on Amazon or something, but it seems like it would be beneficial to read it, so I'm willing to do just that :)

Dub, your post made me think of how much I'm really going to have to change to properly "assimilate" :o I've never put "wellies" on my kids in my life. Does this mean that I'm going to have to be humoUred from now on as well? And will my kids have to play ROUNDERS??????? And btw, thank you for the vote of confidence, it means a lot to me :) It's kind of surreal that it's all coming together...I was beginning to think this was some pregnancy induced type thing too :lol:

Will, I promise to take along a suitcase big enough to fit you, as well as Ad and her two :) You don't mind being in baggage, do you? ;) Either that or I'll have to make sure I tell you every detail and you can live vicariously through me :lol:

Beth!! I may have to tap your brain! :) I do know that Mr. Izz may decide to go to school at some point. Your expertise may come in handy. And of course, you are always welcome to come for a visit! :)

Ad, you know that the good energy was much appreciated! You are definitely going to have to pack up the kids and come for a visit, ok?

Weeks, I'm not sure what they have over there in terms of storage facilities. I do know that packing and sending a container is very expensive, and so I think that Tyg has it right that less is much better. I'm just going to have to get rid of virtually everything, I think, and then worry about getting replacements later. The thing is we'll be renting (letting....lol) for a year first. Most places are furnished, so those types of things won't be too much of a worry right away (thankfully!).

Thank you all so much! The whole thing is actually kind of scary, but exciting. And of course there is still the possibility that it may not happen in the end, but it sure is looking like it will at this point. I think my biggest worry is that the kids will be made fun of because of their "accents" ;)

I'll keep you all update (if that's ok) when I know more. I do have to start looking into passports (now you all know how I stumbled across the whole "needing passports to go to Canada" thing :lol: ).
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

So I guess this means I won't be able to persuade you to learn Gaeilge and start helping us out on IGTF! http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/ :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like a well-thought-out decision, and I wish you all the best. If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Ireland, you may find me on your doorstep...I'd love to see Mayo!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Izz, here's what I carried with me to London:

It probably doesn't look like it but it all fit on the plane. A bit of my stuff is still at people's houses in the states, but most of it I sold last summer. Ebay for little things and craigslist.org for larger things - like a piano!

Your plans sound great, though I have one small question - have you and your family visited Ireland and/or the Mayo area? I only ask because before my Ireland trip in 2003 I was seriously entertaining the idea of trying to move there, but after I had visited I decided that it wasn't the right place for me. Just because it didn't work for me at the time doesn't mean the same will be true for you, of course - I'm just curious. Not meaning to put a damper on anything, I think it's great you guys are taking this step. It's really amazing to live abroad.

(And who knows, maybe I'll end up wanting to live in Ireland someday!)

When I was in Ireland I met a lady named Kare who was considering a move from Utah to Cork with her husband and four children, so it certainly happens. And there are several online forums for american expatriates, maybe there is an Ireland-specific one.
BigDavy

Moving to Ireland

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Izzarina

There is one major consideration to a move to Ireland (or for that matter the UK) is that the cost of living here is significantly higher than in the US.
You will find that everything -fuel, clothing, food etc costs at least 50% more than you would pay in the US.

Avanutria should be able to give you chapter and verse about the prices in the UK. My friends in the republic say that the way prices are going there that even the UK is cheaper and that is saying something. Maybe Peter Laban may be able to comment here.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Where in Mayo are you going, there's vast stretches that are beyond the back of beyond there :wink:

www.oasis.gov.ie is a major source of government information especially the part on moving to ireland will come in handy: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/ ... fcb935fcfe

The rest of it is no big deal: we bought a house and moved in. If you have any specific questions, give me a shout.

Reading your post more thoroughly:

If your sons have astma, do consider the climate, the damp, the dusty and mouldy conditions in houses. Ireland is NOT an easy place for their condition. It's in fact probably one of the worst places to move t oif you have chest problems.

I strongly recommend you have a look around before you move, see if you can bear the climate and the condition under which you'll be living.
Life is extremely expensive here and social conditions are very different from what you are used to. Quite a lot of people who make the move don't last if they haven't some dedication to stay in the place.
The cottage idea is very nice ofcourse but the cottages that nobody wanted twenty years ago (which you could pick up for 5000 pound: I bought ours ten years ago for 13K) are now holiday homes and and you'll be lucky to find even a derelict one under 150-180K.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:If I knew how to speak another language, I might be inclined to look elsewhere, but I cannot, at least not fluently, so I was stuck with the places that had English as a primary language.
Did you consider New Zealand?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."