Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Peter - I was going to go back and edit my original post to explain, but I will do so here instead.....

I was answering the question of why I don't feel comfortable posting in the whistle forum. My quotes were in no way to a slam at you - and they were in no way trying to show anything "taken out of context" - I was trying to show why I'm not comfortable. That's all. I wouldn't be comfortable answering how I find duet and harmony parts, because I don't know what is acceptable from the ITM point of view.

However - I feel that name calling, and telling me I "better" explain myself is going a bit over board.

As I originally said - I don't know a lot about whistles, or a lot about ITM. I just play music, I play things that I like in the way that I like. We (my husband and I) are known to do things in very NON-traditional ways.

I've seen this same type of discussion on another email board I'm on, and I'll henseforth do the same thing I do there - I answer off list (in this case pm) when I have something to contribute, so I don't get flamed.

The question was asked why people don't post to music thread. I was answering the question from my point of view. I wasn't singling out your post other than to show why I feel uncomfortable. Calling me names hasn't done a lot to improve that feeling.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Karina wrote:... I debated with myself about replying to this thread. I don't bother with stuff like that, most of the time. Personally, I agree with Jack, though he could be more tactful in the way he says things. But that's not his personality. He's still a nice guy. I'd like to suggest that perhaps one of the biggest problems we have, in general, is simply assuming the worst of anyone--that they're an obnoxious bigot, recorder-lover, whatever--instead of trying to assume the best. We may not always be right when we do that, but it prevents a lot of unnecessary offense. Instead of trying to take whatever anyone says with a malicious intent, assume you misunderstood their intent and they really ARE human, after all. This goes both ways and applies to all people. Just my two cents. *yawn* I'm bored with my post. That's why I let the other people do the talking.
Boy howdy! That would make the world go 'round a bit less stickily, indeed. Glad you roused yourself to post that! :) (that's the 'I mean it in a totally friendly way' smilie)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Agh, cripes, when I finally spot this thread, it's already 13 pages long and it's far too late for me to contribute something new, not to mention just read the whole damn thing.

Anyway, how about an "Old Curmudgeon's Corner" forum, only accessible for those of us who joined in 2001?

;)

Cheers,
Jens

(about 80 posts in the last year :) )
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:Agh, cripes, when I finally spot this thread, it's already 13 pages long and it's far too late for me to contribute something new, not to mention just read the whole damn thing.

Anyway, how about an "Old Curmudgeon's Corner" forum, only accessible for those of us who joined in 2001?

;)

Cheers,
Jens

(about 80 posts in the last year :) )
That would be awesome. Ahhhh the good old days, when "cheapies vs expensive whistles" and "learning by ear vs learning by dots" were the reasons for the most torny, spicy debates, instead of the US invasion of Iraq.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Folks, what I find so fascinating about this thread is that even if the moderators agreed that the board has deteriorated, that there is too much off-topic, that there are too many threads and too many off-topic posts--even if there was a consensus among the membership that this were the case--what do people imagine could be done about it that would be constructive? A "no off-topics" policy? A "fewer off-topics" policy? (How would THAT be implemented?) No posts that irritate or make people mad? Fewer members? What? Just throw out everyone who has joined since the "good old days"? Shut it down and start over again?

This is the fastest-growing, most hotly debated, entirely moot thread I've ever seen.

Dale
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Nah, I don't think we should do anything. I think Murphy needed to scream his outrage and anger out loud, and now he feels better, as the other folks who agree with him.

It's like, you know, your foot hurts and you suddenly scream "ARGHHHHH IT FREAKING HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and suddenly feel a little better about it, ever happened to you? :lol:
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Azalin wrote: It's like, you know, your foot hurts and you suddenly scream "ARGHHHHH IT FREAKING HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and suddenly feel a little better about it, ever happened to you? :lol:
Wow, in this thread I've learned you are a homosexual, have a foot fetish and are a masochist to top it off! I say, to each his own. Good on you for not being embarrassed! :wink:
No I'm not returning...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I just PM's MurphyStout to make sure he knows I have no problem at all with him stating his opinion and starting the thread. I was just commenting on the absence of a solution to a possible problem and my interest in the apparent passion of people about something that turns out to be moot.

Dale
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

DaleWisely wrote:Folks, what I find so fascinating about this thread is that even if the moderators agreed that the board has deteriorated, that there is too much off-topic, that there are too many threads and too many off-topic posts--even if there was a consensus among the membership that this were the case--what do people imagine could be done about it that would be constructive? A "no off-topics" policy? A "fewer off-topics" policy? (How would THAT be implemented?) No posts that irritate or make people mad? Fewer members? What? Just throw out everyone who has joined since the "good old days"? Shut it down and start over again?

This is the fastest-growing, most hotly debated, entirely moot thread I've ever seen.

Dale
Go Dale! Go Dale! (doin' the Colonel dance)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

DaleWisely wrote:I just PM's MurphyStout to make sure he knows I have no problem at all with him stating his opinion and starting the thread. I was just commenting on the absence of a solution to a possible problem and my interest in the apparent passion of people about something that turns out to be moot.

Dale
Dale, don't you read the political threads? Same thing there.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

MurphyStout wrote:
Azalin wrote: It's like, you know, your foot hurts and you suddenly scream "ARGHHHHH IT FREAKING HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and suddenly feel a little better about it, ever happened to you? :lol:
Wow, in this thread I've learned you are a homosexual, have a foot fetish and are a masochist to top it off! I say, to each his own. Good on you for not being embarrassed! :wink:
Now now, don't play the innocent man. You slept close to me many times before and always seemed to enjoy it!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:This is the fastest-growing, most hotly debated, entirely moot thread I've ever seen.
It may be a moot thread, but at least it's not an Entmoot thread. Then it would be the slowest-growing, longest-lasting, most solemnly debated, entirely moot thread you've ever seen. Talk about boring...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Azalin wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:
Now now, don't play the innocent man. You slept close to me many times before and always seemed to enjoy it!
Damn! I've been outed!
No I'm not returning...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

DaleWisely wrote: This is the fastest-growing, most hotly debated, entirely moot thread I've ever seen.
Dale
Hey, what's the matter with moot? :lol: I like moot. Well, the word anyway....

And don't worry, its about to slip down the page. It's neither cutie-pie or religious in nature.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Hi izzy---You are a responsible person in real life and so now you feel responsible for driving away the "old timers". GET REAL DUDETTE!!!

I second this, Izz! It wasn't you who drove away the "old timers." Nope. Far from it.

Clearly, it was ME, with my pretense of innocence and misunderstanding.
Cotelette d'Agneau