Recorder holes, whistle sound...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recorder holes, whistle sound...

Post by ninjaaron »

I would give my right testical for a chromatic, keyless whistle (not that anyone makes keyed whistles except Jubilee).

Anyone know anything about this?
Everyone likes music
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Recorder holes, whistle sound...

Post by brewerpaul »

ninjaaron wrote:I would give my right testical for a chromatic, keyless whistle (not that anyone makes keyed whistles except Jubilee).

Colin Goldie makes a 10 hole D whistle which plays chromatically except (for some reason) for a Bb. As often as you need that note, you can half hole it, or maybe find a cross fingering.
I don't think he takes testicles in payment though...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I know Skip Healy does it with Flutes, Fifes, and Piccolos. They have the overton on Bigwhistle and I am pretty sure they take check, dredit, or paypal you might have to ask about testicals. XOXXXX first octave and XOXOOO second octave works well for Bb on most whistles but the Overton has a bottom pinkie hole which would probably make the cross fingering for that note a lot easier.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Chris Abell does them, too, but I assume he's happy with his own testicles (he does have two children).

I have one in Madagascar rosewood that I'd sell for $425.
~JessieD
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

JessieK wrote:I have one in Madagascar rosewood that I'd sell for $425.
This is really more a case of window shopping. I'm currently saving money so I can eat durring the school year (a nobel cause, no doubt, to feed the starving scholar), and the testicel won't easily be parted with either. You never know when one will get cancerous and you need a spare. If I didn't have to eat through the coming semester, I would take you up on it. There will be no expensive whistles for me unless this flute buisness of mine takes off (which it seems like it might).
Everyone likes music
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

ninjaaron wrote:I would give my right testical for a chromatic, keyless whistle (not that anyone makes keyed whistles except Jubilee).

Susato makes a line of recorders that some feel sound more like whistles than does the typical Baroque recorder. I don't think they accept payment in genitalia, though.
Reasonable person
Walden
Henke

Post by Henke »

Make one for yourself. Maybe a Hybrid of some sort. And please, don't buy a Susato :D (Is it not enough that when you buy a Susato whistle, you get whistle holes, recorder sound? Horrible)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

JessieK wrote:Chris Abell does them, too, but I assume he's happy with his own testicles (he does have two children).

I have one in Madagascar rosewood that I'd sell for $425.
Do NOT tempt da Cat!

(She who now has a perfectly lovely F, a piccolo that needs learning, and enough D's to satisfy the average music store)

Oh yeah....Sweetheart will make a keyed whistle, but I don't think they do more than two or three keys. G#, F and C I think.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Walden wrote:Susato makes a line of recorders that some feel sound more like whistles than does the typical Baroque recorder.
That seems ironic, for some reason.
Perhaps Susato has hit the exact middle ground between the whistle sound and the recorder sound...
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Talk about a serious case of Whoa!

I think it would be in your best interest if you keep both testicles.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

"This is really more a case of window shopping."

Which is exactly why more makers aren't offering such a beast......

Tell ya what, for 3 grand I'll sell ya a boxwood and Ivory "Whistle" that looks suspiciously like a recorder :P
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I figure if you put enough holes on a whistle to give it a fully chromatic, 2-octave range, you can either:

(a) put keys on it to cover the extra holes, and so you've re-invented the 6-key flageolet, or

(b) limit yourself to the number of holes your fingers can reasonably control, design a fingering system around them, then alter the fipple to make the fingering system work...and you've re-invented the recorder.

Part of the charm of the whistle is that it is basically a diatonic instrument with a simple fingering system. As you move away from that, you move away from what makes a whistle a whistle.

That said, I'd love a 6-key flageolet. The idea of being able to play session tunes in any key on one whistle is pretty appealing to me.

All of this is my own $.02 worth, and probably really worth exactly what you paid to read it. 8)

--James
Denny

Post by Denny »

Now gentlemen...give the lad a chance.
I'd bet that within a year he reinvents the saxophone.

However, I don't have any idea how long it will take him to figure out what testicals are for.sorry Aaron
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Denny wrote:Now gentlemen...give the lad a chance.
I'd bet that within a year he reinvents the saxophone.

However, I don't have any idea how long it will take him to figure out what testicals are for.
Or, at least, to figure out how they're spelt.
Reasonable person
Walden
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Okay, in all seriousness: Making such an instrument is simple - it's just a matter of putting more holes in an already working design, problem is, not enough folks want to pay for this, nor do they want to deal with learning the additional fingering (although for some reason that doesn't daunt recorder players) it's as simple as that.

Loren