Smilies

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Smilies

Like them.
62%
Hate them.
10%
Don’t care.
28%

Total votes: 29

Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

I definitely need smilies... English is not my mother's language, and it's the only way to avoid being misunderstood. (When I am not sure I understand, I just say nothing ;) )

It was also said, when AndrewK was removed from the board, that he should have used more smilies...
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Okay, since my comment was used to start this thread, let me clarify:

I was trying to be careful with my words when I made that comment. I was thinking specifically of an individual on this board who uses emoticons in every single post, the rolling eyes emoticon in particular. I've come to loathe that rolling eyes emoticon, so when expressing sarcasm, and not being given to thinly veiled sarcasm, I guess I just hope the readers will understand. I use the emoticons on occasion and in general don't mind when others do. I don't hate them, just try to limit my personal use of them.

Susan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Matt_Paris wrote:when AndrewK was removed from the board, that he should have used more smilies...
Dang, you mean that's what that humongous argument was about?? :lol:
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Cynth wrote:
Matt_Paris wrote:when AndrewK was removed from the board, that he should have used more smilies...
Dang, you mean that's what that humongous argument was about?? :lol:
Maybe not only for that reason... :D I can't remember who wrote that... But I read it on the flute board, I think.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I wish we had more different smilies.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oh. And I voted "Like them." ;)
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

susnfx wrote:Okay, since my comment was used to start this thread, let me clarify:

I was trying to be careful with my words when I made that comment. I was thinking specifically of an individual on this board who uses emoticons in every single post, the rolling eyes emoticon in particular. I've come to loathe that rolling eyes emoticon, so when expressing sarcasm, and not being given to thinly veiled sarcasm, I guess I just hope the readers will understand. I use the emoticons on occasion and in general don't mind when others do. I don't hate them, just try to limit my personal use of them.

Susan
I have to agree with your feelings about the rolling eyes emoticon, Susan. If expressing sarcasm and the need for an emoticon is there, then the wink does it for me. Rolling eyes, as in face-to-face interaction, translates to disgust, condescension, dismissing someone's opinion/statement; basically saying "how can you be so stupid". While in some circumstances it could be applicable, it's use towards another person is very rude. Ask any parent how they feel when their teenager uses it during a conversation.

Emoticons can be entertaining and fun. I've definitely seen some here that made me laugh. Maybe we should concentrate on better communication from time to time. Someone once told me that if I can't understand what they're saying without emoticons, then either I need to read more carefully, or they need to learn how to write.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

My favorite use of the rolling eyes emoticon is to make fun of myself, as in, "Yeah, I was stupid. :roll: " It's also useful in a joke thread, when everyone already knows you're being sarcastic. It can be downright insulting in a serious discussion, though.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack

Post by Jack »

jsluder wrote:My favorite use of the rolling eyes emoticon is to make fun of myself, as in, "Yeah, I was stupid. :roll: " It's also useful in a joke thread, when everyone already knows you're being sarcastic. It can be downright insulting in a serious discussion, though.
:roll:

;)

There also seem to be people who are offended at the emoticons which resemble Adolph Hitler and the ones that resemble his brother, Satan.

edit: I just realised that the Adolph Hitler smileys have been removed but not the Satan ones. Why not?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Cranberry wrote:There also seem to be people who are offended at the emoticons which resemble...Satan.
How do they know?!? :o
Jack

Post by Jack »

susnfx wrote:
Cranberry wrote:There also seem to be people who are offended at the emoticons which resemble...Satan.
Well, :devil: and :moreevil: don't exactly resemble Mother Teresa...
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:
susnfx wrote:
"Saaaaaataaaaan."
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cranberry wrote:
susnfx wrote:
But they don't necessarily resemble Satan either. Do you know what Satan looks like? :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
susnfx wrote: How do they know?!? :o
"Saaaaaataaaaan."
That's creepy.

But I was kinda serious in wondering why the Hitler ones got removed but the Satan/Devil ones didn't. It seems weird that Hitler is more offensive than the Devil.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Cranberry wrote:
susnfx wrote:
I thought :moreevil: was just the Lincoln Imp in a bad mood.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)