Do you skip breakfast?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you skip breakfast?

Yes
31%
No
45%
Sometimes
24%

Total votes: 42

Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Do you skip breakfast?

Post by Tyler »

This was in the Salt Lake Tribune this morning, I thought it was interesting enough to share with you all....
Skipping breakfast to catch more sleep?
Try these quick and easy meals. Your body will thank you
By Kathy Stephenson
The Salt Lake Tribune

. (Paul Fraughton/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Most people assume they have to rise early to make a healthy breakfast.
And for our sleep-deprived nation, that just doesn't sound appealing. So we opt to try for extra shut-eye and settle for a bowl of sugary cereal or a glazed donut from the corner convenience store.
No more excuses. An energizing breakfast is just five minutes away.
That's all it takes to fill a whole-wheat pita with scrambled eggs and low-fat grated cheese and pour a glass of orange juice.
It takes even less time to heat a frozen pancake in the microwave, spread it with peanut butter and roll it around a peeled banana. With a glass of milk, you have a well-balanced breakfast.
Spend a few minutes of preparation before going to bed to make breakfast even quicker. Oatmeal soaked in milk and juice overnight is soft by morning (see recipe on Page D2). And pancakes, waffles and even crepes can be made ahead and frozen. They take only a few minutes to reheat in the microwave or toaster.
"Time is no excuse to skip breakfast," says Elizabeth Sommer, a registered dietitian and author of The Food & Mood Cookbook: Recipes for Eating Well and Feeling Your Best (Henry Holt and Company, $18).
Sommer and co-author Jeanette Williams say there are three simple rules for creating a quick, energizing breakfast:
l Combine high-quality carbohydrates, like whole-grain cereal, toast and waffles, with a little protein such as milk, yogurt, low-fat cheese or an egg. Then add two servings of fruits or vegetables - a glass of orange juice and a cup of canteloupe, for example.
l Avoid high-sugar and high-fat foods.
l Don't use time as an excuse.
The small amount of time you invest in breakfast will pay big dividends. Breakfast eaters, according to studies, have the best memory, thinking ability and problem-solving skills.
Eating a nutritious morning meal also is the key for anyone wanting to lose weight or improve their health. People who eat a nutritious breakfast tend to have lower fat and cholesterol intake throughout the rest of the day, according to the July issue of the Mayo Clinic Health Letter.
But most of us can't get past the idea that breakfast should be bacon, eggs and hash browns, says Margaret Braae, pediatric outpatient dietitian with Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City.
In Great Britain, she says, breakfast often is something as simple as baked beans and milk.
"There's nothing wrong with making a peanut butter sandwich in the morning or grabbing a piece of cheese," she says. "People just need to be creative."

Breakfast in less than 5 minutes:
l The New York special: Toast a sesame bagel, fill it with smoked salmon, fat-free cream cheese, sliced onions, tomatoes and green peppers.
l Nutty wraps: Spread peanut butter on a slice of whole-wheat toast, wrap around a peeled banana and serve with yogurt and milk.
l Perfect pockets: Stuff half a whole-wheat pita with fat-free cottage cheese and sliced peaches, pears or pineapples. Serve with juice.
More quick breakfast ideas

l Peanut butter crispies: Microwave 2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter just until it starts to get runny. Pour over 1 cup fiber-rich cereal. Top with sliced banana.
l Morning burritos: In a microwave-safe dish, combine one beaten egg and chopped ham. (Pre-sliced deli ham works great.) Cook for 30 seconds. Stir and return to oven 20 to 30 seconds or until cooked. Place in a warmed tortilla with shredded cheese and salsa.
l Leftover scramble: In a microwave-safe pie plate, combine pieces of cooked vegetables and meat (potato, onions and chicken are good) with beaten eggs and desired seasoning. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Cook on high 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Let stand covered for 1 minute.
l Breakfast split: Peel and split 1 banana. Place in a serving bowl. Top with fresh strawberries, vanilla yogurt and nuts.
l Fruity parfait: In a glass, layer your favorite fruit, low-fat yogurt and low-fat granola.
l Berry smoothie: In a blender, combine 1 cup fruit juice or milk with 1 cup frozen berries and a large, ripe banana. Blend until smooth and thick.
l French toast: Beat together 1 egg, a tablespoon of milk, a dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla flavoring. Dip a piece of whole-wheat bread in egg mixture. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Top with fresh fruit.
- "The Food & Mood Cookbook: Recipes for Eating Well and Feeling Your Best"
Overnight oats with fruit
2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup milk
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup blanched almonds, pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 tart green apple, cored, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise, for garnish
1 (6-ounce) container flavored yogurt, for garnish
1 cup fresh raspberries or blueberries, for garnish
In a bowl, stir together oats, milk, apple juice, honey and cinnamon. Cover and chill overnight or until oats are soft. (This mixture will keep up to 2 days in the refrigerator.)
Stir in nuts. To serve, spoon mixture into 8-once glasses. Top with apple slices, yogurt and raspberries.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine, August 2005
Basic crepes
Crepes:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus additional to coat pan and cook crepe
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
Fillings:
Fresh fruit or jelly and whipped cream
Combine all the crepe ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
Place a nonstick or seasoned crepe pan over medium heat. Coat pan with a little butter or nonstick spray. Pour about 2 tablespoons of butter into the heated pan. Tilt and rotate pan so that batter forms an even, thin layer. Cook until top is set and underside is golden, about 1 minute. Turn with a spatula or your fingers. Cook until the second side is lightly browned. Remove crepe to a piece of wax paper. Continue process with remaining batter. Stack finished crepes between sheets of wax paper. Can be used immediately, or let cool and wrap them in airtight bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
(Crepes can be thawed, still wrapped, in the refrigerator overnight or warmed in the microwave for a few seconds, just long enough to make them soft enough to peel from the wax paper without tearing.)
To serve, place desired filling down the middle of each crepe. Roll up and serve.
Makes about 12 (7-inch) crepes
- "The Joy of Cooking," by Irma S. Rombauer
Easy microwave breakfast casserole
1 slice bread, cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup cooked diced ham
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
Combine all ingredients in a 6-inch microwave-safe serving bowl. Blend well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Poke a few small holes in the top to vent. Cook on medium high (80 percent power) for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes. Halfway through cooking, turn dish halfway. Let stand covered for 30 seconds to finish cooking. Serve with fresh fruit or juice.
Makes 1 serving.
(This dish can be prepared in advance. Simply cover and refrigerate overnight. Cooking time may be slightly longer if dish is cold.)
- Diane Rattray's Guide to Southern U.S. Cooking at http://www.about.com
Microwave breakfast cobbler
1 (16-ounce) can sliced peaches, drained*
1 (16-ounce) can pear halves, drained*
1 cup dried plums, cut in half
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups low-fat granola cereal
Plain yogurt, if desired, as garnish
In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, combine peaches, pears, dried plums, orange peel and juice. Top with granola. Cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve with plain yogurt, if desired.
*Two (16-ounce) cans of fruit cocktail can be substituted for peaches and pears.
- California Dried Plum Board
Strawberry blender
breakfast
2 cups frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 envelopes vanilla flavored instant breakfast mix
2 tablespoons honey
In a blender, combine strawberries, milk, yogurt, breakfast mix and honey. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping blender and stirring as necessary. Pour into glasses and serve.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.
- http://www.cooks.com
Potato and egg scramble
1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green or red pepper, chopped
4 eggs
1/4 cup nonfat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
Dash of garlic powder
Combine potato, onion and peppers in a 9-inch microwave-safe pie plate. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Cook on high 4 to 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
Combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a medium bow. Beat slightly. Pour over potatoes into pie plate. Cover with microwaveable plastic wrap and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Let stand covered for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
- "The Disease Prevention Cookbook," by Clara Schneider (Small Steps Press, $14.95)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

I can't. I wake up hungry.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I never eat breakfast... beyond a cuppa caffiene.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I don't eat meals. I just eat all day long.
mukade

Post by mukade »

For me, every morning there is an epic battle between sleep and hunger.

Sleep usually prevails.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Breakfast is my favorite meal. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd probably adopt the hobbit custom of multiple breakfasts. As it is, I make do with one.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Congratulations

Re: Do you skip breakfast?

Post by Congratulations »

I haven't eaten breakfast in a very long time. It's not necessarily because I don't wake up in time (though that is part of it), but more because I just don't want to eat early in the morning. I seem to wake up with a slightly upset stomach, and can't bring myself to eat anything.

For a while I would drink a glass of milk for breakfast, and that seemed to work pretty well. I'll have to start that again.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I used to skip breakfast frequently.

Now there is medicine I have to take every morning with food. Sleepling through breakfast is no longer an option.

But a lot of time it's "quick-n-dirty," for instance a banana, or a handful of cheese & crackers, or sometimes even just a couple of cookies.

--James
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I always eat breakfast; it's easy. I usually have bread and peanut butter, or else a quickbread -- banana bread w/cream cheese or zucchini bread, either plain or with butter.

I almost never eat lunch -- I usually run instead.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

I'm never hungry whenever I wake up. I just wait till lunch and eat more :lol: ! just kidding
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My old Dad used to say that if you skipped breakfast you'd get Spot on the Lung.
It sounded like "...the following day," the way he said it.

But I have no choice in the matter. My daughter hides the skipping ropes so I don't find them till after lunch.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I believe that breakfast is an important meal, and I enjoy cereal with fruit and soy milk. However, lately, I wake up feeling guilty for the thousand calories that I consumed compulsively the night before (after dinner). I have a weighing scale that sits on the kitchen floor, and it is my guide for how big my breakfast will be. When I look at the numbers on the scale, I have been getting by with half of a hard boiled egg and coffee.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I believe that breakfast is an important meal, and I enjoy cereal with fruit and soy milk. However, lately, I wake up feeling guilty for the thousand calories that I consumed compulsively the night before (after dinner). I have a weighing scale that sits on the kitchen floor, and it is my guide for how big my breakfast will be. When I look at the numbers on the scale, I have been getting by with half of a hard boiled egg and coffee.
Try standing on the scale immediately after dinner; perhaps it would help curb your compulsive nighttime consumption. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

No breakfast for me, my stomach doesn't like food until I've been awake
for a couple of hours.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Turtle wrote:No breakfast for me, my stomach doesn't like food until I've been awake
for a couple of hours.
Ditto. Breakfast is usually a couple of cups of tea. Cycling six miles to work on a full stomach is no joke.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing