Gasoline prices

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Wormdiet wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I walk.
Enjoy it while you can - seriously. That's one of the best things about college - best commute you will ever have.
Haha. I was just talking (like, two minutes ago) to another Chiffer about my having to sell my bicycle and wishing I hadn't. :P

I really want one of those floater glass bubble things that the Jetsons ride around in. I wouldn't have to worry about running over dogs or small children that way.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Cranberry wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I walk.
Enjoy it while you can - seriously. That's one of the best things about college - best commute you will ever have.
Haha. I was just talking (like, two minutes ago) to another Chiffer about my having to sell my bicycle and wishing I hadn't. :P

I really want one of those floater glass bubble things that the Jetsons ride around in. I wouldn't have to worry about running over dogs or small children that way.
Oh no--start hanging out at Goodwill or Salvation Army until you can find another bike. That's how I traveled around at college. I'd spend a LOT of weekend time out exploring the back roads. I never would have covered that much ground on foot.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Jack

Post by Jack »

mvhplank wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Wormdiet wrote: Enjoy it while you can - seriously. That's one of the best things about college - best commute you will ever have.

Oh no--start hanging out at Goodwill or Salvation Army until you can find another bike. That's how I traveled around at college. I'd spend a LOT of weekend time out exploring the back roads. I never would have covered that much ground on foot.

M
Ok...you must be reading our PMs, because I just mentioned that, TOO! :boggle:

I'm going to ask if I can give my phone number and have them call me whenever they get a bicycle in.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

As fuel prices rise I'm looking forward to a bit more company on the bus to work. :)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

$3 a gallon! Oh you Merkans have it soooo tough!

On Sunday July 10th, the UK average price of Unleaded fuel passed the £4 a gallon barrier for the first time ever. Average prices for all regions are now over £4 a gallon. That's over $7.20

Diesel is even more expensive, on average about 18 pence a gallon dearer than unleaded petrol.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
TomB

Post by TomB »

GaryKelly wrote:$3 a gallon! Oh you Merkans have it soooo tough!

On Sunday July 10th, the UK average price of Unleaded fuel passed the £4 a gallon barrier for the first time ever. Average prices for all regions are now over £4 a gallon. That's over $7.20

Diesel is even more expensive, on average about 18 pence a gallon dearer than unleaded petrol.

Uh, yeah, but there is the issue regarding size of the country, and also public transport availability.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

So our fuel costs more than double yours because we don't have a decent public transport system and our country is smaller than yours? :o Who'd have thought!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Perhaps we could send our Chancellor over to run the US economy. That'll larn'em. :D
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

GaryKelly wrote:So our fuel costs more than double yours because we don't have a decent public transport system and our country is smaller than yours? :o Who'd have thought!

No, you are missing my point, actually. It's the U.S. that doesn't have a decent public transportation system. I simply meant that it seems to me that you have to rely on your cars a whole lot less than we do, that's all.

I'm not saying that here in the U.S. we are not spoiled and waste to much fuel. I'm simply saying that a Country the size of the U.S., if gas costs $7.00 or $8.00 a gallon, the strife and poverty that would cause here would be beyond compare.

I didn't mean that you should pay that much $$. Don't you think that type of cost is crazy???? :boggle:

Tom
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

TomB wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:So our fuel costs more than double yours because we don't have a decent public transport system and our country is smaller than yours? :o Who'd have thought!

No, you are missing my point, actually. It's the U.S. that doesn't have a decent public transportation system. I simply meant that it seems to me that you have to rely on your cars a whole lot less than we do, that's all.

I'm not saying that here in the U.S. we are not spoiled and waste to much fuel. I'm simply saying that a Country the size of the U.S., if gas costs $7.00 or $8.00 a gallon, the strife and poverty that would cause here would be beyond compare.

I didn't mean that you should pay that much $$. Don't you think that type of cost is crazy???? :boggle:

Tom
What's public transport got to do with it? Ours is crap, actually, and it's more expensive to get a bus from one town to another than it is to drive, actually.

We have to rely on our cars less than you do? Oh, my goodness! What in the world? is that about??

If you mean by that we'll walk a few hundred yards to the local shops for a pint of milk rather than drive our lazy fat arses to the mall and then drive around for an hour waiting for a parking-space to appear right next to the doors (rather than parking 20 yards away and having to walk to those doors) then granted, perhaps you're right.

But if you work 30 miles away from your home and there's no public transport (or it takes you two hours and three changes of bus and costs more than owning a car if there *is* public transport) then 8 bucks a gallon for petrol I would suggest causes as much feckin pecuniary hardship here as 3 bucks a gallon does for you lot there, if not more, actually.

Why do you think food is so expensive over here compared to the lardass-all-you-can-eat-for-10-bucks you get? Because our "food miles" cost a bloody sight more than yours ever will for one thing.

Oh it really breaks the cockles of my heart to hear you might have to pay £1.50 a gallon for petrol. :roll:
TomB

Post by TomB »

GaryKelly wrote:
TomB wrote:

Tom
What's public transport got to do with it? Ours is crap, actually, and it's more expensive to get a bus from one town to another than it is to drive, actually.

We have to rely on our cars less than you do? Oh, my goodness! What in the world? is that about??

If you mean by that we'll walk a few hundred yards to the local shops for a pint of milk rather than drive our lazy fat arses to the mall and then drive around for an hour waiting for a parking-space to appear right next to the doors (rather than parking 20 yards away and having to walk to those doors) then granted, perhaps you're right.

But if you work 30 miles away from your home and there's no public transport (or it takes you two hours and three changes of bus and costs more than owning a car if there *is* public transport) then 8 bucks a gallon for petrol I would suggest causes as much feckin pecuniary hardship here as 3 bucks a gallon does for you lot there, if not more, actually.

Why do you think food is so expensive over here compared to the lardass-all-you-can-eat-for-10-bucks you get? Because our "food miles" cost a bloody sight more than yours ever will for one thing.

Oh it really breaks the cockles of my heart to hear you might have to pay £1.50 a gallon for petrol. :roll:

Never mind, Gary. It's not worth it.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

TomB wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
TomB wrote:

Tom

Never mind, Gary. It's not worth it.
That's nothing Tom, amateur stuff. If you really want to hear a top notch, grade A, world beating rant then just ask Steve Shaw how much fuel he wastes following caravans round Cornwall. :lol:
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

S'okay Tom. I just ate half a hard-boiled egg which was off. Not even the corporate coffee can get the taste out of my mouth. Cost me 35p too, that egg. Probably explains it.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:S'okay Tom. I just ate half a hard-boiled egg which was off. Not even the corporate coffee can get the taste out of my mouth. Cost me 35p too, that egg. Probably explains it.
Bugger! That's just made me realise I missed lunch. Ya gotta be a special kind of stupid to do that. Maybe I've been traumatised by those 'fat hobbit' comments. :cry:
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wow. I never saw Gary get that angry.

This is a time when I like to tell a little story.

My daughter came back from a missions trip to the highlands of Mexico. She told me about the poverty she encountered and how fortunate she was.

I asked her, "So now you'll quit complaining about how miserable your life is?"

"No." she replied, "I don't live there. I live here and when I complain I compare myself to the people around me."

There you have it. We complain about $3.00 gas prices because we're not in England. We compare it to what we are used to here.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm