Pat Robertson at his finest

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Walden wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Blackwood wrote:what i don't get: why are so many Christian conservatives for the death penalty? How is that in any shape or form consistent with the 10 commandments?
People like Pat Robertson are (sadly) inept when it comes to Christian Theology, despite the fact that they hold themselves up as authoritative.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not really pro death penalty, but they assume it's consistent with the Decalogue because execution's prescribed in the same portion of Exodus where you find the Commandments.
I do understand where they get it, I just do not agree with their opinions on it for Christ Himself said otherwise (the whole "an eye for an eye" thinking). And it's that part of Christian theology that I disagree with him (Robertson) wholeheartedly on.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Blackwood wrote:what i don't get: why are so many Christian conservatives for the death penalty? How is that in any shape or form consistent with the 10 commandments?
People like Pat Robertson are (sadly) inept when it comes to Christian Theology, despite the fact that they hold themselves up as authoritative.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not really pro death penalty, but they assume it's consistent with the Decalogue because execution's prescribed in the same portion of Exodus where you find the Commandments.
I am anti-death penalty because I believe Jesus' overall message in the Gospels to be one of love, mercy, and kindness. Any verse taken out of context can lead to any viewpoint, pretty much--I have come to the conclusion that abortion, the death penalty and war are all three contrary to Jesus' overall message.

I didn't really want to be anti-abortion. It's not easy to have to change your position on such a heavy issue. I didn't want to go from pro-choice to pro-life (it's hard on the ego, for one thing). But Jesus wants me to be anti-abortion. So I am. Violence in any form is simply contrary to his message as I see it, and I want to obey him.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

But Jesus wants me to be anti-abortion
How did he communicate that to you?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Blackwood wrote:
But Jesus wants me to be anti-abortion
How did he communicate that to you?
It was just something I came to realise, slowly, over a long period of time.

There were no puffs of glittery smoke or anything like that.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm vocal about my oposition to the death penalty, but I don't know the answer to your question either. I've heard conservatives talk about how they don't think the government ought to be entrusted with, say, for example, people's tax dollars, but they are more than happy for, say, the state of Alabama to have the power to take someone's life. Go figure.

Recent poll data still shows a substantial majority of people favor the death penalty, in spite of the fact that a substantial majority of THOSE acknowledge that there have been cases in which innocents were executed. I can't begin to wrap my head around that one.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

If there is irrefutable evidence such as multiple eye-witnesses or video
etc. then I think the death penalty should be enforced. If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed. I
dont believe that the tax payer should have to support a proven murderer
for the rest of his of her natural life. I believe that when a person preys
on others that he gives up those same rights that he takes away from his
victims.
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:
I'm vocal about my oposition to the death penalty, but I don't know the answer to your question either. I've heard conservatives talk about how they don't think the government ought to be entrusted with, say, for example, people's tax dollars, but they are more than happy for, say, the state of Alabama to have the power to take someone's life. Go figure.

Recent poll data still shows a substantial majority of people favor the death penalty, in spite of the fact that a substantial majority of THOSE acknowledge that there have been cases in which innocents were executed. I can't begin to wrap my head around that one.
Mabey it is because people are inherently flawed, evil, and tainted with sin to the point that the easier way out is to kill instead of love.

And as a whole we don't want the government touching our money because it's ours but that poor black man down the street--he isn't ours, so we don't care if the government puts him to death. You know The Dollar is more important than people, after all. Jesus must have said so himself, to watch these people claim to be his followers yet have their brothers killed so matter-of-factly and still gripe about tax breaks! :roll:

:sniffle:
TomB

Post by TomB »

Walden wrote:IIn the end, I don't think it's worth the unchristian crowd getting in a huff over. I don't believe he's made the USA, or anywhere else, a more Christian country.

Well, I agree with most of what you've said in your post except this last part. Why do you say the "unchristian" crowd? I guess I'm missing your point. What it is worth though, is the "Christian" crowd getting in a huff over it and calling him out on it.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Turtle wrote: If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed.
I was under the impression that if there was even a shadow of a doubt the accused goes free...
Jack

Post by Jack »

OnTheMoor wrote:
Turtle wrote: If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed.
I was under the impression that if there was even a shadow of a doubt the accused goes free...
In theory, but not necessarily in practice.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Pound to a penny that Robertson is also "pro-life" :boggle:
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
Hmmm, someone aughta ask him...

If he was pro-life and pro-death penalty, could he be called pro-anti-life? or pro-lifedeath? or anti-deathlife? or pro afterlife? anti-afterpro-life?
I'm confused :boggle:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
Hmmm, someone aughta ask him...

If he was pro-life and pro-death penalty, could he be called pro-anti-life? or pro-lifedeath? or anti-deathlife? or pro afterlife? anti-afterpro-life?
I'm confused :boggle:
It's called being inconsistent.

And that's what bothers me about most Republicans and Democrats. They're pro-life in one instance (abortion or the death penalty) and usually pro-death on the other. It doesn't make sense because it is fundamentally illogical.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Turtle wrote:If there is irrefutable evidence such as multiple eye-witnesses or video
etc. then I think the death penalty should be enforced. If there is even
the shadow of a doubt however, a life sentence should be imposed. I
dont believe that the tax payer should have to support a proven murderer
for the rest of his of her natural life.
I believe that when a person preys
on others that he gives up those same rights that he takes away from his
victims.
FYI It's much cheaper to imprison someone for life than to go through the legal process of killing them.

I believe that a fundamental purpose of the prison system should be correction - eliminating the issues which cause criminals to commit crimes in the first place. IE rehabiliation. It isn't, which sucks.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:Pound to a penny that Robertson is also "pro-life" :boggle:
He would say that he is, but it's more correct to say that he is "Anti-Abortion" for he is not against CP and unless I am mistaken (which I could be...) he is also pro-Iraqi war. Most GOP Christian types really are not pro-life at all, they just like to think they are. In the end, they are Pro-whatever the GOP says.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.