Bb Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Bb Whistle

Post by Whistling Willie »

Hi everyone,my birthday is coming up again and my wife is buying me a whistle,I've decided to go for a Bb,and was just wondering what peoples opinions are on the different Bb whistles that are available.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I'm quite partial to the Dixon tunable Bb. Nice response and a strong upper octave. But hey, if you're really lucky (and manage to get a good one) the Generation Bb's are superb!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Doc Jones has a Water Weasel Bb on his site and mujo has posted a Burke composite for sale both are probably exellent whistles. The only Bb I have is part of my Syn set I think it is a bit too low for the bore size same with the A.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I concur with Avery. If Doc or Bree still has a Water Weasel, go for it. It's a Bflat that plays more like a low whistle -- lots of rich undertones, a lot of growl to it. Plus if you're ever in a bar when someone goes into a berserker rage, it will stand up to anyone's broken bottle. I had a Burke composite B, which was a very nice whistle, I bet the Bflat is, too. It's not much of a Birthday present, but the Bflat Generation is wonderful.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Yeah, I can agree with you guys about the Water Weasel. I used to have water weasel...
carrie

Post by carrie »

I love my Burke Bb (brass). PM if you'd like a clip.

Carol
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Forgot to say,will probably have up to £100 sterling to spend.

I have a Gen Bb....don't like it at all :o
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It must not be one of the good ones. I have my eye on those Weasels Doc still has.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I played a Burke Bb composite at the Dublin festival. It is very likely the next whistle I buy.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I got word from Doc today that the Bb Water Weasel that was listed on his site is sold. The A/Bb combo is still available.

Steve
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Alba whhistles made a very loud sop' Bb a couple of years back.
Good tone, and the one I have is tuneable.
Stacey may have changed the design to need
less air, because it needed a lot.

If you have £100 to spend, give it a look.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I have one of the newer black-tip Burkes and one of Gary Humphrey's Stealth models in Bb. Both are excellent whistles ! The Humphrey has a more complex sound , like a really good Generation. The Burke is a purer sound and heavier in the hand. You couldn't go wrong with either one. IMO If I'm not mistaken , I think jmiller has a Bb Humphrey for sale on the board , right now ! Best of luck with your new toy ... whatever it might be !! :)

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Phil Hardy

Sindt Bb....Very nice whistal.

Post by Phil Hardy »

One of the best Bb's I ever played was a Sindt Bb.
I'm sure there is plenty about them around this site,maybe others who own one could also comment.
Phil.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

I have a wide-bore ("M" Series) Susato alto Bb. Generally I love Susato whistles and have been very, very happy with them. This one, though, I'm not sure. It really falters in the second octave. It is probably just my lack of skill, but I have been at it for a few months now and can't seem to get it to stop breaking and squawking. I've heard that the "normal" bore does much better. Also, it is really loud - which is great if you are playing alone, but I'm not sure for a session. Maybe it would be great there too, it would just depend on accompaniment I suppose.
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have a Susato Bb 'S' series rather than the wider 'M' series. It has a wonderful rich tone, a bit of bite, and plays well in both octaves. I agree about the Generation Bb and everyone should have one.