Chiffy Prayer Group

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote:Another thought - how did it happen that you will be in a dorm with strange men? That seems bizarre. Is there any kind of separation at all?

Maybe in addition to the prayers from your online friends, it might also make you feel better to express your concerns to the school and ask to be moved to an all-female dorm, or at least an all-female room. Be pushy about it, and you'll get your way. (Trust me, I know!)
Cran is a Guy :wink:

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
LOL! Well, in that case, he'd CERTAINLY feel better in an all-girl dorm!!
For reasons other than you probably mean, but yeah. I would. :P
missy

Post by missy »

sorry - I happen to be offended knowing people sent PM's to Cran complaining about being offended by the thread.........

For God's (Allah, Budda's, Y_hw_h's, the Great Energizer Bunny's) sake - if someone asks for prayers (thought, good wishes, the Force) to help them through a crisis, why in the world would someone find that offensive?????

The title says "Prayer". If that "offends" you then don't open the darn thread!

****Anyone else want the soapbox?*******
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Hi, Cran. I know you will do well in school -- you're a very intelligent man. Getting new roomates and hoping that things go smoothly and that you don't find yourself with some jackass is something I think most of us that have gone off to school have fretted about to some degree. I was always fortunate enough to share a room with guys who were friendly with most people, respected others differences and were fun to talk to late at night. As you make friends at the school, some dorms let you change rooms or roomates if things just aren't working out. You are a nice guy, and I really don't think most people will have trouble getting along with you. I know this is not like the really good advise you've given me, but I hope these words of encouragement help somehow.

You can count on my prayers for your well-being. IMHO, I think that what you just did -- asking for emotional support -- is fine on the forum. As you know, I've been doing it quite a bit myself lately. And, as I'm finding, there are a lot of caring people here who are willing to listen and respond when we are hurting and afraid. And, IMHO, I think that this is just one of the many good things that come from a place like this. Commaradarie (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong) being the best thing. But I don't think that this is the best place to hold prayer meetings. Just as a real pub wouldn't be the place to hold them either. Just my two cents worth there. :)

Take care,

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Again, I didn't mean for anybody to be offended or to start arguing, I just wanted prayers and support. I didn't intend to make people uncomfortable either. I am sorry!

I'll just go away for a while now. I need to get a lot done in these next few days anyway. I'm praying for everybody, especially Peter. Thank you everybody.

edited because im crying and can't see what the f*ck im typing right now

*hugs*
Last edited by Jack on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

fiddleronvermouth wrote: LOL! Well, in that case, he'd CERTAINLY feel better in an all-girl dorm!!
Cran is also very publicly gay.

Anyway. Just to make it clear I am not offended in any way if people want to busy themselves with whatever religious activities they are happy with. I jsut don't think very public expressions of religion and religious activities are suitable to the forum, it would change the atmosphere in an uncomfortable way.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

The fact that people were offended doesn’t surprise me. While I can’t speak for anyone else, I can say that as a person who does not believe in god here in the U.S., each day has become a run through the gauntlet of religion. Everywhere I turn, someone is trying to force their religious beliefs on me – from the president down to the unwanted person banging on my door. It seems to be permeating the news with stories of daily political antics, laced with god this or god that, some official quoting bible passages, congressmen attending religious gatherings to muster the “troops” using catch phrases of “culture of life”, while wrapping it in the flag. This whole issue has reached critical mass for some people. I can understand why some here would like one last place where they don’t have to fend off religion.

Threads asking for emotional support are a good thing and have, I’m sure, helped a number of people on this board. I hope they continue. A thread asking for prayers is like saying if you don’t believe what I believe, you need not apply. Those that have stated prayers/good thoughts depending on the person’s ideology get my respect for their tolerance of others, even in the author’s time of need.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I must admit I don't like the idea of a prayer group as this excludes those chiffers who don't believe from giving support. On the other hand I would hate to see any prayer replies banned. When someone mentions some problem or sadness they're going through there are many types of support given such as "Keeping you in my prayers", "Wishing you all the best" and "Thinking of you".
That sort of caring is one of the things I like best about C&F, I just don't want to see it get too organised.

And Peter, I do hope your post wasn't meant to be as harsh as it seemed at this end.
(Edited to say - Sorry Peter, your second post came through while I was typing mine and makes it clear no harshness was intended.)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

jbarter wrote:I must admit I don't like the idea of a prayer group as this excludes those chiffers who don't believe from giving support. On the other hand I would hate to see any prayer replies banned. When someone mentions some problem or sadness they're going through there are many types of support given such as "Keeping you in my prayers", "Wishing you all the best" and "Thinking of you".
That sort of caring is one of the things I like best about C&F, I just don't want to see it get too organised.
JBarter said it better than I did. Anyway, that's what I meant. My only objection to a "prayer group" is that I sort of thought it meant actually posting prayers and that type of thing -- like a meeting of the 700 Club. But the other stuff, I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOR OF. Sorry if Cran or anyone else may have misunderstood my misunderstanding. Understand? :-?

Will O'Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Peter Laban wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote: LOL! Well, in that case, he'd CERTAINLY feel better in an all-girl dorm!!
Cran is also very publicly gay.
That makes it all the more true. :P
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm disturbed by the reaction to Cran's post, Teri-K's very well-expressed post aside.

First of all, I can't keep up with what I haven't and have done as a moderator, but I would not delete a prayer request thread unless I conferred with the person or persons who started it. If I did delete one without being asked to do so by the originator, and I'm mistaken about that, someone can let me know, but I'd be stunned to learn that Peter's characterization of my response to an earlier religiously-oriented thread is accurate.

There's ongoing discussion on this board--variations on the theme of on-topic/off-topic and the way it's worked out is that people post about a very wide range of issues, public and personal, on- and off-topic. One can find posts covering the political spectrum, pretty much, all kinds of posts about personal interests and hobbies, and so on. I see no reason to create an environment in which requests for prayers, particularly in threads that are clearly labelled, ought to be singled out for exclusion.

Cran has already backed down from this and that's Cran's perogative. But, I've got no plans to inhibit religious expression and communication on a board that allows free-wheeling discussion about everything else. People are also free to post their objections, but in a thread labeled something like "prayer request," I'd frankly find it rather ill-mannered to deliberately enter that thread for the purpose of doing so.

A shorter way of saying this: C&F is a religiously tolerant board. And, yes, I know my avatar ridicules Tom Cruise.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'd appreciate it if people would allow each person to say what he or she will say about their own sexuality.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

DaleWisely wrote:I'd appreciate it if people would allow each person to say what he or she will say about their own sexuality.
Married almost 15 years: not much :P
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

DaleWisely wrote:And, yes, I know my avatar ridicules Tom Cruise.
But not as much as Tom Cruise does. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Teri-K wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:I'd appreciate it if people would allow each person to say what he or she will say about their own sexuality.
Married almost 15 years: not much :P
Hehe. Good one. :lol:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

jbarter wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:And, yes, I know my avatar ridicules Tom Cruise.
But not as much as Tom Cruise does. :D
Yeah. You know, I really should change that avatar...I usually don't keep one this long. But the darn thing STILL amuses me.