Not for the faint of heart...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I did a similar thing with my thumb a few years ago. The pain is mostly due to the pressure of the blood (and other pleasantries) under the nail.

The doctor should be able to draw that out for you - one option is to drill a small hole through the nail to let the goop seep out.

I lost about half the nail on my thumb that time, but it grew back normally, except I get a little ridge along it at the point of most damage.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

mvhplank wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Save a sheep! Boycott Australian merino wool!
www.saveasheep.com
Lambie,

I tried following your link. Looks like it should be:

www.savethesheep.com

M

PS--I hardly ever take anything PETA says at face value. I just don't trust hysterical folks to do accurate reporting.
Ordinarily I take PETA with a grain of salt (and a little Worcestershire sauce), but when I see they have such intellectual heavy-weights as Alicia Silverstone rallying to their side, I have to give them more credence.

And to keep from straying to far afield from the original topic -- This thread would be more interesting, ennyn, if you you could post a picture of said toe in all its technicolor glory.

Then go see a doctor.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yeah. A picture of the toe sounds cool. Either that or we're going to have to go rotton.com
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Re: Not for the faint of heart...

Post by izzarina »

ennyn wrote:This is *so* not good. I can't even wear 3/4 of my shoes!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
Ad, that is just absolutely horrifying!!!!! I don't know how you are doing it, you poor, poor thing!....oh, and I am sorry that you hurt your toe too ;)
Seriously, I would soak your foot (and hence your toe) in Epsom Salt, and if it gets worse call your doctor. The Epsom salts will help to get some of the icky stuff out. But it just sounds gross....your talking about it gives me the Heebie Jeebies too :boggle: (and yes, I agree, that is just a perfectly wonderful phrase....I use it whenever I can)
But please, no matter what the BOYS are saying, don't post a picture. That just sounds so yucky :P
Thank goodness for your insurance, btw. Isn't it nice to feel like a real person in this country? :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I've had a nail fall off. By the time it gives up the ghost its not a big deal. DON'T go poking under there! DON'T. PERIOD. DON'T.

And hang tight....there IS a podiatrist around here somewhere. . .
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

ennyn wrote:
Cynth wrote:Don't be heebie jeebed though. :)
But isn't it the best phrase to say, though? I mean, how often does one get to say "heebie-jeebies"?? :lol:
In the Nintendo game "Super Mario 3" there's a level with some clouds with red swirls in them. They looked decidedly odd. My friends and I called them "heebie jeebie clouds".
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Martin Milner wrote:The doctor should be able to draw that out for you - one option is to drill a small hole through the nail to let the goop seep out.
That bit gave ME the heebie-jeebies.

My big toenail used to get discoloured regularly after a long day of skiing - too much pressure from the boot plus cold, I think. It tended to stay put till it grew out, then the unnecessary bit would come off painlessly. Time frame, a couple of months.

I believe BrewerPaul is the resident Chiffy podiatrist.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

izzarina wrote:[Thank goodness for your insurance, btw. Isn't it nice to feel like a real person in this country? :wink:
Yeah, and even when you do have insurance, they care so much about you! :P
When I want results out of my insurance I have to dress up like Chewbacca, go down to their main office and speak in a series of grunts and howls so that they can understand me, and threaten to pull someones arm out of their socket. :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Martin Milner wrote:The pain is mostly due to the pressure of the blood (and other pleasantries) under the nail. The doctor should be able to draw that out for you - one option is to drill a small hole through the nail to let the goop seep out.

The doctor should be able to draw that out for you - one option is to drill a small hole through the nail to let the goop seep out.
Okay, I guess I must have the heebie jeebies now too. This goes way beyond the willies. :o :boggle: :o :boggle:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Where's our resident podiatrist????

A google image search on "infected toenail" proved.....interesting.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:
A google image search on "infected toenail" proved.....interesting.
probably brought up a death metal band or something... :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I lost two fingernails (in separate incidents) as a child. I lost one after accidentally slamming a fingertip in a car door while trying to run away from a bumblebee, and another after having a fingertip smooshed under a heavy barrel I was trying to move. (Fortunately, I outgrew the fear of bumblebees. Barrels still give me the heebie-jeebies, though.)

The first time, the pressure from the blood under the nail was so bad that the doctor drilled a tiny hole in the nail... and promptly got sprayed with blood all over his face and white lab coat. :D

The second time, the blood was able to escape on its own, so the pressure never built up. In both cases, the nail eventually fell off and then a new one grew out. Now, I can't even remember which fingernails I lost, and there's nothing on the nails to give me any hints.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Flyingcursor wrote:A google image search on "infected toenail" proved.....interesting.
I can only imagine. Just don't post any of the pictures, ok? :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

ennyn wrote:This is *so* not good. I can't even wear 3/4 of my shoes!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
If you're like most of the women I used to work with, that should only leave you with about 100 pairs of shoes. :wink:

Seriously, though. You certainly have my sympathies, Ad. My son just went through outpatient surgery a couple of weeks ago. Both of his big toes were infected on both sides of each toe. He claims he has very sensitive feet and he did a terrible job of keeping them properly trimmed. The podiatrist knocked him out and cut off a large portion of the nail all the way down both sides of the nails. He had to wash them 3 times a day with peroxide after that, but now they look (and feel he says) much better. There is only a 1% chance that the nails will grow back -- which is fine with him. Anyway, the moral of this story is: Visit Your Doctor.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

You have a hema-tomata! That's what my brother the ER nurse said everybody called them as it would be written on the triage board as Hematoma - Toe.

He sad that the most common way to relieve the pain was in fact to lance the nail... not with a drill but with an electric disposable coterie. Burned a tiny slit in the nail about as wide as a needle and as long as a pinhead is across... Then a band-aid and Neosporin and your good to go!

That will be $389.00 please pay on your way out.

He also said the same could be done with a paperclip and a candle for the truly brave an skinflinty - like myself. (holding the paperclip with a set of pliers of course)
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.