Not for the faint of heart...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Not for the faint of heart...

Post by aderyn_du »

Okay, it's time for Ad's Gross Question Of The Day:

How can you tell if your big toenail is going to fall off? I hurt my toe this past Saturday, and it hurts like *%)$^#. My toenail is not looking good at all-- all raised and swollen underneath the nail. :cry: Losing a toenail has always been the one thing that gives me the total heebie-jeebies, and I'm freaking out.

This is *so* not good. I can't even wear 3/4 of my shoes!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

If you haven't yet, you might consider getting a doc to look at it.

It sounds painful. You have my sympathies...hurt feet always freak me out a bit.

*BB*

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

I did that once and I poked the skin and got the dried blood out from underneath. The dark purple looking stuff is dried blood, it's not that the toenail is necessarily gonna fall off. It might just be dried blood. But getting it out HURTS because you gotta dig with tweezers or something. It'll go away on its own, though, eventually.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Cranberry wrote:I did that once and I poked the skin and got the dried blood out from underneath. The dark purple looking stuff is dried blood, it's not that the toenail is necessarily gonna fall off. It might just be dried blood. But getting it out HURTS because you gotta dig with tweezers or something. It'll go away on its own, though, eventually.
:o ::quietly freaking out even more::
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

peeplj wrote:If you haven't yet, you might consider getting a doc to look at it.
I have insurance for the first time in 10 years. I guess now might be a good time to take advantage of it. :P I've gotten so used to *not* going to a doctor, that it's weird to think about going for my toe! ::laughing::
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

ennyn wrote:
peeplj wrote:If you haven't yet, you might consider getting a doc to look at it.
I have insurance for the first time in 10 years. I guess now might be a good time to take advantage of it. :P I've gotten so used to *not* going to a doctor, that it's weird to think about going for my toe! ::laughing::
I understand!

My thought is along the lines of if it's going to come off anyway, probably a doc could take it off gently (and probably ease your pain quite a bit at the same time), whereas if you just wait for it to pull loose, it's probably gonna hurt like hell and might be more likely to get infected.

Sure sorry that happened to you. Just the thought is awful.

Heal up quick!!!

--James
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

peeplj wrote:
Sure sorry that happened to you. Just the thought is awful.

Heal up quick!!!

Thanks, James. Say hi to Shannon and the ferts for me!! I hope things are going well for all of you! :)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I wouldn't poke around under it. It might get infected. And you can't really wash underneath your toenail or put medicine under it. Go to the doctor or let nature take its course. Don't poke. Sounds very painful indeed. Don't be heebie jeebed though. :)
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Cynth wrote:Don't be heebie jeebed though. :)
But isn't it the best phrase to say, though? I mean, how often does one get to say "heebie-jeebies"?? :lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cynth wrote:I wouldn't poke around under it. It might get infected. And you can't really wash underneath your toenail or put medicine under it. Go to the doctor or let nature take its course. Don't poke. Sounds very painful indeed. Don't be heebie jeebed though. :)
You can clean out from under it by holding the nail up and pouring peroxide down in the hole. That's what I did. It hurt less after I cleaned it out. It was my big toe, but I forgot how it got that way. I just remember it being that way.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: It is good. I usually say something gives me the willies, for some reason. I guess it's time for a regional survey.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

ennyn wrote:
Go, and know that many have lost nails before you and survived!! :D (ouch! who ht me??)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

anniemcu wrote:
Go, and know that many have lost nails before you and survived!! :D (ouch! who ht me??)
:oops: Oops, sorry... that must have been my toenail flying off my foot.

:P
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

What a shame! And don't you have a lovely closet full of cute shoes? Hope there are some Birks in there!

Where is Amar when you need him??? And Paul Busman??? And Doc Jones??? You need a pub-side consultation!

As mentioned, you can take it to the doctor or you can doctor it yourself or you can leave it alone.

They can drain the blood from under it or take the nail off. If it's really painful from the pressure, that can be a huge relief. That's the best choice if it's looking infected and is still that painful and gross after 4 days. You can do the same thing with a . . . well, best not mention that here. Someone might be eating. (You can look it up on the internet--try running sites.)

If it's smallish and you leave it go, the nail will lift off over the blood part. It'll eventually grow out. No big deal.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Lambchop wrote:Save a sheep! Boycott Australian merino wool!
www.saveasheep.com
Lambie,

I tried following your link. Looks like it should be:

www.savethesheep.com

M

PS--I hardly ever take anything PETA says at face value. I just don't trust hysterical folks to do accurate reporting.
Marguerite
Gettysburg