"Bush is a terrorist" - Cindy Sheehan

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Is George W. Bush a terrorist?

Yes
53%
No
44%
Only enemies of the US can be terrorists
2%

Total votes: 43

The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Gilder, you popped this thread out mere minutes after Dale nuked your Bush psychoanalysis poll. That says it all. You were just testing Dale, as far as I can tell, and getting your message out at the same time.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

That's it! I'm stopping the car, and we're going to wait right here by the side of the road until you two can learn to get along back there! We're not going a inch further until you do!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

s1m0n wrote:A few months ago I read a story in the paper about a conman who'd been ripping off elderly investers in (I belive) the state of Florida. He'd been arrested in Canada and was being held for extradiction. What struck me was a quote from a local official whom the paper had contacted for comment. "Why," he expostulated, "That's economic terrorism!"

Once the T word gets used for that kind of crime, it has effectively been rendered meaningless.
That about sums it up then doesn't it? Bush's war on terror is meaningless.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

s1m0n wrote:That's it! I'm stopping the car, and we're going to wait right here by the side of the road until you two can learn to get along back there! We're not going a inch further until you do!
Just tie them to the outside of the car. Tie Weeks to the right side, and Gilder to the left side. Then, as you swerve your way through traffic, you'll have the rare pleasure of getting to hear Weeks yell, "More to the left!", and Gilder, "More to the right!" :twisted:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

jGilder wrote: That about sums it up then doesn't it? Bush's war on terror is meaningless.
I think the war is highly meaningful but the excuse is meaningless.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

More to the Left!! Hey, that won;t be hard, since the next President will likely be a tough on immigration Democrat. People have had enough of Repubs shenanigans.

I would venture that as bad as the war seems, people are going to be more pissed off about oil and gas price fixing as time wears on, because it hits them personally every single day. Right or wrong....

The only way I could see a true leader directing this country toward a massive and participatory energy policy would be that leader coming from the Dem side. Repubs are too tainted and in fact intertwined with oil profiteers.

If I was a Democrat strategist, I would buy billboards across the country the next time oil quarterly profits are posted and make BIG OL' graphs showing those profits. This would be a run-up to various campaigns.

Of course, some of the Demo politics, especially environmentalism, have a share in our limited refining capacity, goofy gas formulas and drilling and nuke plant bans, but who cares about details, I swear....
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

ter·ror·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-rzm)
n.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
The writers of the American Heritage dictionary don't think the term "terrorism" defies definition.

With all due respect, Weekenders, I think discussing what is and isn't a terrorist is very relevant when one's country is engaged in a bloody and costly "War on Terror." As meaningless as the term might seem to you, personally, REAL people are REALLY dying because of it.

Stamping out "terrorism" is the whole reason for Bush's crusade. (OK, "reason" is inaccurate - "sales pitch" is a better term).

Personally, ever since 9-11 I've been annoyed at the casual bandying about of the word "terrorism" - again, the word that has no meaning at all if it doesn't apply first and foremost to US foreign policy, which is a long-standing exercise in the "use or threatened use of force or violence by an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons. "

So either there is no such thing as a "terrorist" (despite whatever the dictionary has to say about it) or the US is a "terrorist" state, and has been since at least World War II.

If it's too distasteful to you to consider the possibility that the US is a terrorist state, then fine. There's no such thing as terrorism. But then what are your soldiers dying for?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:The writers of the American Heritage dictionary don't think the term "terrorism" defies definition.
Lots of sources have *a* definition of terrorism, and some have several. The problem is that few definitions agree.

As I noted earlier, the UN struck an entire committee to work on exactly this issue, and failed to reach consensus.

In the US, the state department has one, the CIA has another, the army has two, and there are a couple more enshrined in various laws. These, too, don't agree on key points.

C.S. Lewis
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
ter·ror·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-rzm)
n.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
The writers of the American Heritage dictionary don't think the term "terrorism" defies definition.

With all due respect, Weekenders, I think discussing what is and isn't a terrorist is very relevant when one's country is engaged in a bloody and costly "War on Terror." As meaningless as the term might seem to you, personally, REAL people are REALLY dying because of it.
I never said it was meaningless and I suggested a way that the thread could have been posted that would be more to the point. Instead, it was the SECOND daily Bush-bash, followed by a digression that ended up discussing the definition because of SIMON'S persistence in sticking to valid points above innuendo.

Thanks for respect tho', Fid.

Post by Guest »

peeplj wrote:Bush is a shallow man with shallow dreams. When you accuse him of trying to commit genocide, you are giving him way more credit than he's due: his dreams don't run that deep.

Remember Murphy's Razor: "never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity."

--James
Best quote of the entire intenet!

You have hit the jackpot with that one! The man does not think that far down, if you know what I mean, not because he is too lazy but simply because he can't!

However he is doing more or less what any President would have had to do, ie clear the floor, clean house, kick-ass, etc etc. I don't think Gore or Kerry could have done any different.

Is it right? Who knows. Saddam was a major problem and had to be gotten rid of, but the rest? I guess we will never know.

At the very least a few westerners are getting filthy rich off of Iraqi Oil.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:If I was a Democrat strategist, I would buy billboards across the country the next time oil quarterly profits are posted and make BIG OL' graphs showing those profits. This would be a run-up to various campaigns.
Whenever the reports of gas prices rising comes on TV I can't help but wonder why they never mention the record profits of the oil companies.

How do they get away with that? Because "people do."
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:I never said it was meaningless and I suggested a way that the thread could have been posted that would be more to the point. Instead, it was the SECOND daily Bush-bash, followed by a digression that ended up discussing the definition because of SIMON'S persistence in sticking to valid points above innuendo.
Go back and read the initial post, Enders. I presented Cindy's statement and part of an interview related to it and posed a question in the form of a poll relevant to what she said. I didn't offer any personal opinion on that post. If asking pertinent questions about Bush's war that people are dying for is just "Bush Bashing" to you -- I think you might need to study the principals of democracy a bit. It is our duty, as patriotic Americans, to ask these questions.

Post by Guest »

Its all baloney anyway so who cares!
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

toasty wrote:Its all baloney anyway so who cares!
Toasty's baloney...
Paul

Post by Paul »

jGilder wrote:
toasty wrote:Its all baloney anyway so who cares!
Toasty's baloney...
I like where you're going with this, Jack! :)

**Tosses a cheese into the thread.