Paddy Maloney

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Paddy Maloney

Post by Key_of_D »

I know there are many established pipers out there, but Paddy Maloney is definitely one of the best Uilleann pipers around. Why isn't he on this board? We could learn so much from him. Right? All I know is that he's awesome. Even at the whistle as well.
Droner

Post by Droner »

I'd say he has more to be doing with his time than loggin on to the C+F
Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

:D Bonjour from France Paddy!

:) I will love to have a "tchatch" (conversation) with him. He is great player and he looks licke a geat perone! When I was doing my resarche on the Uilleann pipes in 1998 in Dublin, I tried to reache him but I did not. I had if wife on phone but never Paddy. I use to live in the same place than the Maloney Family but I did not have the chance to meet them.

Sylvain
Musicalement,
Sylvain

E.mail : cronan.srATwandadoo.fr (replace AT with @)
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Paddy Moloney's chanter work is superb. Some people are not that much into him, though. He does very little solo-piping (probably because he's too busy arranging music for, touring and recording with the Chieftains, composing or arranging film scores, collaborating with musicians of all sorts of backgrounds, etc).

It's even been suggested that he never plays his regulators. Not true. On Chieftains 2, track 11 (Donal Og), at the very end, he plays a chord of D on his regulators. :P

But he is wicked good on the chanter. :wink:
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:
It's even been suggested that he never plays his regulators. Not true. On Chieftains 2, track 11 (Donal Og), at the very end, he plays a chord of D on his regulators. :P
My guess for this is, what's the point? They would be lost within the sound of the 'chamber orchestra' of other instruments in the Chieftains. Fact is, he can and does play regulators, and it would be foolish to think otherwise... I mean, Leo Rowesome was his teacher for Heaven's sake. :lol:
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

He He

Paddy Keenan called him "Paddy with the million dollar reed". Apparently he never touches his reed - so everybody tunes to his pipes. And this is what earned him millions.....

Must be a reliable set he's playing... :D
/Morten
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Perhaps sometime before Paddy retires, if he ever does, he can be coaxed to record a solo piping album, nothing but him and the pipes.
:D
Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Ever heard of a nice little recording called The Drones and the Chanters? :wink:
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

What's the true story about Paddy M and Arhpa made chanters?
(Noticed from theirs site that P. had ordered some from there.)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Peter Laban wrote:Just like he gets just about everybody he meets to make him a reed...
It's a great way to encourage reed makers. Even if PM never plays it, the reed maker will alway be able to say PM asked him to make him a reed.
PJ
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Who says he's not on the Board?
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

:D I love his playing on "Down by the Sally Gardens" on the Rankin Family album of 1996, he absolutely wonderful, and "O'Sullivan's March is great as well.

Daryl
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Jim McGuire wrote:Who says he's not on the Board?
A good point, and one worth remembering. They may not post often, if ever, but I wouldn't be the least surprised if many of the well known professional pipers frequent this forum.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Drones and Chanters Vol 1 has 3 lovely solo pieces by PM. Magic chanter work. :)

Joseph, are YOU Paddy Moloney? :really:
PJ
Richard Katz

Paddy Moloney

Post by Richard Katz »

I have had the pleasure to meet with Paddy several times after Chieftains concerts and also the great pleasure to play with the Chieftains in San Francisco once.
Paddy is a regular fellow and very easy to talk with. I last spoke with him after a concert at Stanford University. I asked him if he ever intended to record solo. He said that it was something he has always planned to do, but has not had the time. He is on the road with the Chieftains most of each year.
He promised that he will someday and I told him to please hurry it up because none us us was getting any younger. He laughed and agreed. So.....we are still waiting.
He also told me that he doesn't make his own reeds and that his reed had been in his chanter for many years.
Paddy is a great player and watching him play is a pleasure. He makes it all look so easy. He is a national treasure of Ireland for sure!
Cheers! Richard