boston uilleann pipe works

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

boston uilleann pipe works

Post by psychih »

anyone have any idea on the abovementioned practice sets?
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

I saw a new Boston Uilleann Pipeworks practice set at the last SCUPC meeting--didn't get a chance to hear or play it. There is a big improvement in fit and finish over Patrick Murray's previous version of the cast-resin chanter. If the new version plays as well as the old one, it would be a pretty good way to get started on the pipes.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I played one of Pat's sets for about a year - got it second hand from another piper. Loved the set. Didn't find any problems with fit, finnish or anything, though it seems some of his earlier work was more rough than the set I recieved. Also have another local with one of Pat's chanters. Fairly easy to reed, great tone, and confortable playability. If he's gotten even better, I'd think you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer chanter or practice set for the money.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

The set No E mentions above is one that the boys sent out for a student of mine. It plays great. Well in tune, airtight and solidly constructed. The appearance is beautiful now too.... the lads a re up to good things over there in Boston.

$650 for a practice set, you can't go wrong.

Patrick.
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr »

These guys were at the Piper's Gathering this past weekend, and the general consensus was very good. I heard some very good comments about the chanters they were displaying.
kintailpipes

Re: boston uilleann pipe works

Post by kintailpipes »

psychih wrote:anyone have any idea on the abovementioned practice sets?
I bought a set from these guys and I couldn't be more pleased. It is a well built instrument and the price is un beatable. A perfect investment for what I was looking for.
Cheers
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

I was pretty enthusiastic about Pat Murray's chanters when I heard them a couple years ago. This last weekend at the Killington Pipers' Gathering (the Gathering Formerly Known as North Hero) I had a chance to sit down with Pat and his colleague Alex Bush to try five of their latest chanters. These gentlemen have not been idle, and their new chanters are really outstanding. The tone is rich and satisfying, the intonation is very good, and the behavior is just the way it ought to be. The only complaint I have is that the price is lower than I think it should be. These are the best entry-level chanters I know of at anywhere near that price. I believe their delivery time at the moment is pretty quick, but I predict that this state of affairs will not last long, once word gets out.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

DMQuinn wrote: These are the best entry-level chanters I know of at anywhere near that price. I believe their delivery time at the moment is pretty quick, but I predict that this state of affairs will not last long, once word gets out.
... whoops! another well kept secret bites the dust.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Emmett Gill mentioned to me that they sounded quite good. Surprisingly good in fact, especially since they are molded plastic. The boys are making chanter reeds themselves for which they have my full respect.

Mr. Knightshayde, a mysterious fellow rumored to be quite an afficianado of the UPs, whispered that one might grab at the opportunity while available - especially if price was a consideration.

There was a really cool looking one in red transparent plastic. Not sure if that is a production model.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\