Should I learn the bohem

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Erikpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Should I learn the bohem

Post by Erikpiper »

Just as the topic says, I am starting HS, and I can get lessons for the bohem flute. I want to learn Irish trad flute, and have about a day of whistle experience, and am a grade 4 higland piper.

Opinions please!

Thanks!
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
Congratulations

Re: Should I learn the bohem

Post by Congratulations »

Erikpiper wrote:Just as the topic says, I am starting HS, and I can get lessons for the bohem flute. I want to learn Irish trad flute, and have about a day of whistle experience, and am a grade 4 higland piper.

Opinions please!

Thanks!
Well, I'm no expert, but anything you learn on the boehm would help on simple-system to some degree, I'd say. If that's what you want to do. Otherwise, the boehm flute is a wonderful instrument in itself. I was a bit of a band nerd myself (saxophone, though), and I'd encourage anyone to join band for the experience, if nothing else.

Anyway, others will tell you more about boehm flute, but I thought I'd tell you how much I loved my HS band program. Good luck to you! :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

For the most part, if you want to lear Irish trad flute, you should play a simple system wooden flute.

BUT

I just saw Cherish the Ladies tonight, and can tell you it is possible to play Irish traditional on a Bohm flute.

Teachers for the Bohm flute are much much more plentiful than teachers for the irish flute. BUT the style they'll teach is very different than what Joanie Madden plays.

I think they're both wonderful instruments.

The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle, by Grey Larsen has a lot of info on irish flute in general, and has pretty good coverage of Bohm flute techniques. www.greylarsen.com Doc Jones' irish flute store also has it.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I was in the exact same situation two years ago. I definately think you should go for the Boehm studies. It will help your trad fluting as well. For me it was more like the other way around. I had a fairly liberal teacher, so she let me blew the Boehm as I blew a timberflute, and she was constantly amazed by my powerful tone. The Boehm playing probably did quite good for my trad fluting as well, probably would have made more if I didn't have to play them different ways. I play trad flutes lefty, but Boehm has to be played righty. But that might have been a good thing as well, because it was easy to keep track of and switch between the two slightly different fingering systems.
I quit Boehm fluting after 8 months or so. I still have the flute which I bought new and played for just those months. If your in the market of a Boehm, drop me a PM.
Edited to add a bottom line. It will definately be easier for you to learn the Irish flute if you can play a Boehm flute. It's just like translating the whistle to flute or pipes or whatever. It will definately not do you any bad.
Last edited by Henke on Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoner

Post by shoner »

Go visit Noel Rice on Saturday. What's his school called, the Irish Academy of Music? Metal or wood, your choice.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

The trouble with high school band or whatever is that just about everything they play is in flat keys(in my experience). This is not so helpful for learning Irish music. However, I started on Bohem flute, and it is good for getting an embouchure and a tone and all worked out. I say try it. Can't hurt.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

If you are prepared for being a male Bohem Flute player they are few and far between and usually accused of being gay esspecially in HS so if you are prepared for that go for it but if you would rather not get that kind of negative attention got for a different instrument. The more instruments you play the easier it will be to learn more so whatever you play will not hurt learning Flute.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Unseen122 wrote:If you are prepared for being a male Bohem Flute player they are few and far between and usually accused of being gay...
Yeah, but you get to sit by the cute girls instead of the big guy that bashes the cymbals. …and only a secure man would play the piccolo.

Man I am glad I am not in high school. Politics and hyper stereotyping sucked.
~~
As to the topic, the Bohem flute playing will teach you many things that are different than the timber flute. By recognizing these differences (with an open mind), you will be able to understand the music better. Take advantage of your school, It is much harder to find lessons of any type as an adult. I think that you might find (if you push the issue), that if you have a flute instructor, that the instructor will be more than happy to indulge your interest in other music. (think about it, do you really think that someone would love to here band music every day and nothing else?)

PS for full disclosure, I am taking lessons from a baroque player. Not at all the style I want to play, but yet, he has helped my playing a lot. He has found the music that I am interested in… …interesting.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Unseen122 wrote:If you are prepared for being a male Bohem Flute player they are few and far between and usually accused of being gay esspecially in HS so if you are prepared for that go for it but if you would rather not get that kind of negative attention got for a different instrument. The more instruments you play the easier it will be to learn more so whatever you play will not hurt learning Flute.
The argument he can make is that (at least as I understand it) the flute was originally a "man's instrument" because most women and girls, with smaller hands, just couldn't make the reach. (Gosh knows I can't.) Adding keys opened flutes up to people with smaller hands.

And aren't Native American flutes traditionally only played by guys?

I agree about the piccolo, but what about an alto flute? :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

Thanks! I am calling the music director tomorrow. I am fully prepared for being a male flutist. I have had plenty of gay rumors for wearing a kilt to school!!!! :D
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I've never paid enough attention to "La Boheme" to listen for a Bohem flute.
Ho hum, ..er.. rather, ahem :wink:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Erikpiper wrote:I have had plenty of gay rumors for wearing a kilt to school!!!! :D
Really, most people thought it was really cool when I did but you were in middle school at the time that changes everything. Yes, I.D.10-t you do get to sit next to the cute girls but I play Bassoon and got to sit right next to the Flute section last year and High School sucks.
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

I.D.10-t -- :D :lol:

HS has to be better than boring middle school. Now matter how much homework.

School starts in a week guys! (If there are any young enough reading....)
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Unseen122 wrote:If you are prepared for being a male Bohem Flute player they are few and far between and usually accused of being gay esspecially in HS so if you are prepared for that go for it but if you would rather not get that kind of negative attention got for a different instrument. The more instruments you play the easier it will be to learn more so whatever you play will not hurt learning Flute.
This is why I played the trumpet in band rather than the flute. Should have done the flute. buying one now.

I got kicked out/quit (it was really a mutual thing). after 6 months or so because I had a lot of trouble reading rythms in sheet music. Several years later started playing the guitar mostly by ear, then started studying composition, and now I kick all the former band kid's butts in music!

And yes I do have something to prove about this one. :devil:

perhaps I'll get over it one day, but not today.[/i]
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Erikpiper wrote:I.D.10-t -- :D :lol:

HS has to be better than boring middle school.
It is. Immeasurably so. College is even better. Middle school was the period of life I hated the most. High school was better, but I still didn't like it. College is actually fun, and I wish I could be at this time in my life forever.
Everyone likes music