Free Stuff

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Opinions on Free Stuff?

I love getting free stuff!
86%
It's okay to give someone something for free on certain occasions (birthdays, X-mas, etc.)
10%
I feel guilty getting free stuff, because I didn't pay for it.
5%

Total votes: 21

ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Free Stuff

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Sorry for those of you who thought that I would be giving away free stuff. Regretfully, that is not the case. I've asked a few people this (had a lot of interesting answers) and now I believe its time to get the C&Fer's opinions. Who here loves getting free stuff? I know I do!! One of the whistles I primarily use was given to me, and for no real special occasion. I remember one person I asked this to, and they went off the deep end, saying that nothing in this world should be free, and that everything has to be worked for. Needless to say, I'll probably never talk to that person again (as it was a person in the grocery store). Let me know what you guys think.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't like bad free stuff, like spams, but I like good free stuff.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I can't imagine thinking that a person should not give others gifts on special occasions, or even non-special occasions. I would say to each his own on that one.

I suppose people to whom everything, or too much, has been given do end up not knowing how to work and the value of the things they have been given. But I don't think there are really that many people in that category. Most people do work for most of what they have I think.

I don't usually like getting free stuff---other than gifts from family on special occasions--- because it is never something I want. I mean how many mugs, T-shirts, notepads, personalized pens and pencils, and tote bags can a person use? I could have gotten two free tickets to see "Celtic Woman" in Des Moines for donating a certain amount to our PBS station. Aaaargh! We do donate that amount, but we do it when they aren't offering prizes!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

In the past, I would always grab any freebie that I came across, such as the pens and product samples at technical conferences, etc.. As I've gotten older, I find that I no longer want all that stuff cluttering up my life. I still enjoy receiving free stuff that has some personal meaning attached to it, though, such as when my dad gave me the guitar he bought the year I was born. When I can afford it, I also enjoy giving free stuff if I feel that it will in some way enrich the recipient's life.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack

Post by Jack »

FREE BOOK OF JOHN:
http://www.livingwater.org/

FREE POWER FOR LIVING BOOK:
http://www.powerforliving.com/index1.htm

GOSPEL FOR ASIA:
http://www.gfa.org/gfa/

I know of others but I've forgotten. If I can find them I shall post them here as well.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Walden wrote:I don't like bad free stuff, like spams, but I like good free stuff.
Ditto....
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

ImageFree Nelson Mandela
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Jack

Post by Jack »

flanum wrote:ImageFree Nelson Mandela
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

If a beekeeper was giving away some of his stock, would they be freebees?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't know. I wouldn't want any, though, as I'm allergic.

avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It's fun to get free stuff, but it's important to give it too.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

You can get thousands of $$$ worth of free stuff on the interweb but you have to be willing to get thousands of spams and spyware packages.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

There's no such thing as free stuff.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:There's no such thing as free stuff.
So what are you charging for that advice? :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

As you no doubt know, I won't give a good whistle review unless the whistle is free...

:poke:

avanutria wrote:It's fun to get free stuff, but it's important to give it too.
I believe that wholeheartedly...getting free stuff is great...it's like Christmas. Giving free stuff is sublime. Nothing like being Santa :)