any comments on Howard Low whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zax
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

any comments on Howard Low whistles?

Post by Zax »

anyone out there have input on howard low whistles? there's one on ebay right now (i don't mind mentioning, as no one has bid on it yet). it's a bit spendy for me ($133, or 74 pounds) but it shore ees a looker! so.. any input from current owners?

~Z
Aim for Deep Focus.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I got a low D from Brian Howard recently, when I was doing a review on another low D, for comparison purposes.

Brian changed his mouthpiece design a while back, and all for the better. I like the Howard low D very much, and I think it is very good value for the money. It it strong and has a beautiful characteristic tone. Unlike other low Ds, it can be blown pretty softly without affecting pitch to much. It's quick and the hole spacing is comfortable. I recommend it.
/Bloomfield
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I like mine. I've had it a few years and it was second hand then so I assume it's mouthpiece will be different. I love the way it blows so lightly as I'm not a fan of whistles that need a lot of blowing. (I tend to pass after a few bars of trying my wife's flute).
I only play it for the odd slow air or to accompany a singer because, unlike Bloomie, I do find the reach a bit of a stretch which sometimes starts to hurt. That said, I do have quite small hands so that probably wouldn't apply to most folks.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
prw

Post by prw »

I have one that I really like. It's very quiet (to me), and has a great tone. Not what I'd choose to play with several instruments b/c it is pretty quiet, but I love just sitting by myself late at night and playing. Hole spacing is a tad of a reach toward the bottom but I have long fingers and haven't had any problems. My wife has short fingers and is used to a clarinet, and thought the piper's grip was something I'd invented as a wind-up. :)

Get it if you can afford it. Brian does good work.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like it. It's very easy to play and has a great tone.

--James
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have a Howard low D that I enjoy playing. I use the pipers grip.
As might be expected low d's take more air but you will get use to it.
I also have an Overton low D that seemed to take more air than other whistles. But after playing it for some time I can not tell the differance.
I think a better price can be found
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I had one a long time ago and it was the first low whistle i owned. Wonderful tone but the holes were a bit of a stretch for me back then. If they haven't changed over the years then i would recomend it.

Adrian
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I too had an early Howard years ago; had a beautiful distinct tone, but I gave it away not due to reach but to size of the tone holes (very much like the fine tuneable Cillian O'Briain I now have - no I'll not be giving that away).

Bloomfield: What about the tone hole size?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

PhilO wrote:I too had an early Howard years ago; had a beautiful distinct tone, but I gave it away not due to reach but to size of the tone holes (very much like the fine tuneable Cillian O'Briain I now have - no I'll not be giving that away).

Bloomfield: What about the tone hole size?

Philo
Sorta like most low Ds. Here is a comparison picture:

Alba low D, blue new-style Howard low D, Spillane low D, recent Overton low D. (click here to enlarge)

As you can see, the Howard is slightly shorter than the Alba or Overton; that's because it is made from a thin-walled brass tube and the internal diameter is larger than that of the other low Ds. I use the piper's grip, and it Howard is actually fairly easy to play.

I don't find it quiet, and it has a wonderful boom to it, a rich bottom end an sonorous, expansive sound.
/Bloomfield
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thanks - great comparison shot. Now I don't know whether the old Howards really had bigger tone holes or I got it way before I could handle a Low D at all? Anyway, please remind me when next we meet to bring the O'Briain so you can borrow it for a while and insert into the pic.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Macoco

Post by Macoco »

I've had mine for about 3 months now and this was my first whistle,i can manage the stretch ok and i've got fat stumpy fingers,it is easy to play and is easy to get into the second octave,i listened to several different whistles before i bought this and found this to be the best tone in my opion,i love it and would reccommend it to anyone.
No one plans to fail, They just fail to plan.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Excellent, reasonably priced. Underrated.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I agree with Dale, they are under-rated.

I've had mine for over a year now, and I love it. It's got a great sound, easy enough to play with some practice, not too bad on the reach, and is light enough not to have gravity constantly trying to steal it from me. They are nice looking, as well... but then, aren't most whistles? :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
viejomc

Post by viejomc »

I've had my Howard Low D for less than a week. Great whistle, good response, great tone. Much easier to play than my Susato Low D. Purchased mine from Celtic Fire. $118 which included shipping. Took about 4 weeks to arrive.
Viejomc
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

viejomc wrote:I've had my Howard Low D for less than a week. Great whistle, good response, great tone. Much easier to play than my Susato Low D. Purchased mine from Celtic Fire. $118 which included shipping. Took about 4 weeks to arrive.
Has anybody else noticed? This is about $15 cheaper new than the one Zax was looking at on eBay.

I have a low C which is fine. I think Howards are the best value for money amongst the low whistles.