Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I think the problem here is that we are trying to put the cart before the horse. There is little or no sense in looking at all the religions in the world and picking the one that "has got it right." If you accept the notion of truth, that God either exists or doesnt, that souls migrate and are reincarnated, or they aren't, etc etc, the question becomes what is the access humans have to the truth. Everyone seems to accept that humans can get it wrong: some concept of heresy exists in most if not all faiths. So the question becomes, can humans get it right? That is the more difficult one to answer; what we can say is that (unlike science) there is an element of subjectivity involved, meaning that even if A gets it right, that does not mean that A can make B get it right, because otherwise everyone would have fallen in line with the one true faith by now. It also seems likely to me that "getting it right" is not an either/or proposition, but people get some things right and some things wrong.

If you look at it this way, even thought different faiths may be logically mutually exclusive in that they both cannot be true, both may contain aspects of the truth.

The truth, to my mind, does not to look like 95 theses or a couple of stone tablets; it is more like a multi-faceted gem stone, glinting in the light. Facets of the truth show up in many unexpected places.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyler Morris wrote: If, by accepting the category of Christianity as having even a smackerel of truth, ...
smackerel.... I like it! "a fishy smattering" :)
/Bloomfield
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Hey Mr B, you should have had another option on the 'Do I agree with Bloomfield' thread - Bloomfield makes me think.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think there is a degree of truth, or, rather, cetain things that are true, in many sundry religions, but the only absolute truth is in the Pilgrim Sanctified Church of God Reformed.... well... okay... not exactly... I'm just lampooning myself a little.
Reasonable person
Walden
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

Tyler Morris wrote: Jesus loves you, Buddha loves you, Allah loves you, God loves you, (Cthulhu might love you) and they're all off somewhere playing cards together :twisted: .
My daughter has just been learning about other religions at school. She thinks it's nice that there are some other Gods for God to be friends with.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

oscartherabbit wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: Jesus loves you, Buddha loves you, Allah loves you, God loves you, (Cthulhu might love you) and they're all off somewhere playing cards together :twisted: .
My daughter has just been learning about other religions at school. She thinks it's nice that there are some other Gods for God to be friends with.
No, no, no, He's not that type of God at all. He isn't friends wth other gods. As He says in Exodus, "I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God."
Last edited by Walden on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

If the Earth is a product of intelligent design then where's the intelligence in putting mankind in there to mess it all up? :-?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

WARNING - slightly offensive joke ahead.....

Three engineers were arguing as to what kind of engineer God would be, based on his creation of the human body.
The mechanical engineer stated that surely God must be a mechanical engineer. "Look at how the muscles and skeleton interact. Look at the many different ways joints can move."
The chemical engineer stated that, no, surely God must be a chemical engineer. "Look at the way food is turned into energy by the body. Look at how the body can store energy for times when needed."

"Nah" stated the civil engineer, "God is without a doubt a civil engineer." The other two looked at each other in puzzlement and asked how that could be.
"Common! Who but a civil engineer would put an amusement park in between two sewer outlets."

:D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Montana

Post by Montana »

jbarter wrote:If the Earth is a product of intelligent design then where's the intelligence in putting mankind in there to mess it all up? :-?
Oooo! That has got to be the best argument against Intelligent Design that I have ever heard! Nice job. :thumbsup:
Or to carry it a little further into the recent discussion: if something used intelligent design, why aren't we then intelligent enough to know who/what that thing is? (a somewhat facetious question - don't launch into discussing it)
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Walden wrote:
oscartherabbit wrote:
No, no, no, He's not that type of God at all. He isn't friends wth other gods. As He says in Exodus, "I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God."
Nah, that just means He's got some "issues." He can still hang out with the other Gods, but He wishes He could be as buff as Zeus and He's mad because Bacchus keeps scoring all the Chicks.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

jbarter wrote:If the Earth is a product of intelligent design then where's the intelligence in putting mankind in there to mess it all up? :-?
Aliens planted humans on earth as an experiment. Image
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Aliens planted humans on earth as an experiment.
It failed...stupidity reigns..... :wink:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Blackwood wrote:
Aliens planted humans on earth as an experiment.
It failed...stupidity reigns..... :wink:
And then, 75 million years ago, a superior race of aliens blew up all the other aliens here on earth with atomic bombs, littering the Earth with the essences of their flawed souls.

And for several hundred thousand dollars, the Church of Scientology will make you "clear" of those bits of flaws.

This is what they teach at the highest echelons, honest.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The Weekenders wrote: And then, 75 million years ago, a superior race of aliens blew up all the other aliens here on earth with atomic bombs, littering the Earth with the essences of their flawed souls.

And for several hundred thousand dollars, the Church of Scientology will make you "clear" of those bits of flaws.

This is what they teach at the highest echelons, honest.
Nah...only at the high echelons, OTIII (still takes years to get here, and is so hard to believe that many people "blow" or leave the church when they learn this teaching--thus it's called the "ring of fire"). The Xenu story purports to explain our "condition", but isn't much of a creation story is it? After all, how did earth, Xenu, explosions, and volcanoes all get here? So at the highest echelons, you learn about the creation of the universe 4,000,000,000,000,000 years ago. ;)

(Did I mention that I once dated a scientologist?)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Whatever, W., but what a scream....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?