Chiff & Fipple sign in: What ya' listening to right now.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Currently addicted to John Doyle's Wayward Son album, especially his songs Jack Dolan, Bitter the Parting, The Month of January, and Little Saddie.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

ninjaaron wrote:Keep it commin' guys. Good stuff so far.

Now listening to a Progressive Death Metal band called 'Opeth' :twisted:

Rock!
Have you got any Opeth stuff worked out on flute/whistle? I have a snippet of track 6 on BW Park, but have been too busy learning "real" music to cop Viking metal soloes. Orchid is my personal fave though.

Incidentally, the last thing I heard on the stereo was Tom Petty's live album, more for the sake of pampering my depressed soul than anything else. I just learned that a certain someone I was interested in is rather permanently involved with someone else. :sniffle: Ah, well. Always more fish in the sea.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

moxy wrote:Genesis - Nursery Cryme
You should listen to Foxtrot, too; definitely made in the same spirit.

I've just completed the complete renovation of a room in our house, during which I'd listen to bunches of discs of a band. Started with about 10 Gentle Giant albums, went on to all of the Altan albums with Frankie, then 8 or so by Steppenwolf, and finally about 15-20 of Steeleye Span. Maddy Prior is without a doubt my favorite singer, and Steeleye my favorite band.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

chas wrote: Maddy Prior is without a doubt my favorite singer, and Steeleye my favorite band.
Interesting. I've never thought Steeleye came close to Sandy Denny era Fairport, except perhaps on Please to See the King. I've just found most of their stuff disappointing. But I love Silly Sisters, especially their first, so Maddy Prior is a sort of favourite after all, at least when teamed with June Tabor. Maybe one of these days it will dawn on me what others see in Steeleye.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Listening to the song peeplj wrote for his wife which is posted on his website. Not a fan of the recording style, but he plays it like a star. Beautiful tune.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Wormdiet wrote:
ninjaaron wrote:Keep it commin' guys. Good stuff so far.

Now listening to a Progressive Death Metal band called 'Opeth' :twisted:

Rock!
Have you got any Opeth stuff worked out on flute/whistle? I have a snippet of track 6 on BW Park, but have been too busy learning "real" music to cop Viking metal soloes. Orchid is my personal fave though.
I havn't even got any Opeth stuff worked out on guitar. I just listen to them. That's a thought though... Opeth solos... hmmm...
Incidentally, the last thing I heard on the stereo was Tom Petty's live album, more for the sake of pampering my depressed soul than anything else. I just learned that a certain someone I was interested in is rather permanently involved with someone else. :sniffle: Ah, well. Always more fish in the sea.
:cry:
Everyone likes music
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The classic rock station on the radio, currently playing 'Highway to Hell' by AC/DC.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Nothin' now, but the Emerald Rose version of ELP's "Lucky Man" is in my head.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The classic rock station on the radio, currently playing 'Highway to Hell' by AC/DC.
Now you've got me thinking "Nature Trail to Hell" by Weird Al Yankovic! :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

BrassBlower wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:The classic rock station on the radio, currently playing 'Highway to Hell' by AC/DC.
Now you've got me thinking "Nature Trail to Hell" by Weird Al Yankovic! :lol:
Excellent peice of music!

Benny Goodman's version of "Puttin' on the Ritz" now fills my ears.
Everyone likes music
energy

Post by energy »

I've been listening to Matthew Thiessen and the Earthquakes. Somewhere in between pop and alt-rock, more towards pop I guess. Normally I would consider Thiessen an alt-rocker, but this is too mellow...

http://www.purevolume.com/matthewthiess ... arthquakes
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I finally got Kitty Lie Over and have been listening to nothing else for a couple of days. What a great CD!

Susan
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have been out of town for the past week and while I was away I decided to hack into my Flute fund and pick up Saron Shannon, Frankie Gavin, Mike McGoldrick, and Jim Murray's album Tunes also Gaelic Storm's Self titled album and John Whelan's (Button Accordion player 7 time all Ireland Champ) Celtic Roots: Spirit of Dance all are great I have GS on right now.
djm

Post by djm »

moxy wrote: Genesis - Nursery Cryme
chas wrote:You should listen to Foxtrot, too; definitely made in the same spirit.
Oh, great! Ever since I read this I've had Watcher of the Skies playing over and over in my head. :roll:

Great vintage Genesis when Peter Gabriel was still singing for them. Gabriel went on to do his first solo album, including the immortal Salsbury Hill. Pity he peaked so early. :wink: Other solo albums to look for from early Genesis members are Voyage of the Acolyte by Phil Hackett and The Geese and the Ghost by Anthony Phillips.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

chas wrote: Maddy Prior is without a doubt my favorite singer, and Steeleye my favorite band.
Do you have the album with "Padstow" on? Padstow's just down the road from me. Every Mayday they have big parades there featuring two rival "'obby 'osses," and hundreds of people play that tune all day long on their accordions. That's what the song is about. Wonderful!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!