Scientists develop new swearword

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

TonyHiggins wrote:Now I get it. Friggin' is the polite form of frickin', which is the euphemisim for the unmentionable, which doesn't really mean anything in these contexts. So, is friggin' a euphemism for frickin'? (I think I've accrued about 30 additional minutes in Purgatory.)
Tony
Friggin' and Fricken' aren't really bad words, are they?????? :o Not that I personally use them....I'm asking for a friend...yeah, that's it Image
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Zax

Post by Zax »

TonyHiggins wrote:
A folk band around here, affiliated to the local lifeboat, calls itself Friggin' Riggin'. When I were a lad oop north in t'60s that first word was regarded as a very naughty one indeed.
So, you say 'friggin' in the UK, and we say 'frickin' in the US. Clearly, it's the same word. My conscience does twinge a bit when I use it. Probably get you 10 minutes in Purgatory, I suppose.
Tony
I've always been terribly fond of 'Fuggles' myself... suitalbe for use around munchkins with big ears.

btw, i wonder if any of you trivia buffs can recall what the "Fraggle Rock" swear word was?

~Z
Aim for Deep Focus.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nobody has mentioned feck?

A friend of mine used to say, "florp" or "florptigate".

The whole thing smells of chud.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Hi there, Jsluder!
Frig is a perfectly acceptable polite word. If you don't have time to make a proper repair, but you need to make something serviceable in an emergency, you might frig it. For instance, the apocryphal story of tights being used to replace a broken fan-belt describes a frig perfectly. Here in IT land if we don't have time to fix the program on the help desk, we do a frig, and fix it properly on a site-support day.
If you are trying and re-trying frigs in the hope of finding something successful, then that is "frigging about". That is not so acceptable, depending on the circumstances. Not in a submarine, for instance.
The people who imagine that "frig" is rude are the same people who thought Brendan Behan rude when he greeted people with the words "How's your hammer hanging?" (an innoffensive greeting among painters and decorators).
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Funny story about "frig"....
At my place of work there is a big refrigerator in the employee break room...
The facilities manager got tired of people leaving stuff in it, so he posted a sign on it...
"This Frig is cleaned out every Friday..." :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy

Post by missy »

Tyler - I can do you one better.

We have a very large wooded mallet here at work. We use it for things like mashing up dry ice, crushing samples, and - ah - repairs. Someone a long time ago put the initial "B.F.H." on the side of it.

A PhD was doing something in the lab and asked, quite loudly, for the "BFH". I mean, that's what he said "Would someone get me the BFH".

Another co-worker quietly explained to him what "B.F.H." actually stood for.

(Big F&^*in' Hammer - in case you hadn't figured it out)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

izzarina wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:Now I get it. Friggin' is the polite form of frickin', which is the euphemisim for the unmentionable, which doesn't really mean anything in these contexts. So, is friggin' a euphemism for frickin'? (I think I've accrued about 30 additional minutes in Purgatory.)
Tony
Friggin' and Fricken' aren't really bad words, are they?????? :o Not that I personally use them....I'm asking for a friend...yeah, that's it Image

Both are used a lot in New England. Personally, I prefer Freakin', like 'Freakin' Giambi, he hit another home run."

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:Tyler - I can do you one better.

We have a very large wooded mallet here at work. We use it for things like mashing up dry ice, crushing samples, and - ah - repairs. Someone a long time ago put the initial "B.F.H." on the side of it.

A PhD was doing something in the lab and asked, quite loudly, for the "BFH". I mean, that's what he said "Would someone get me the BFH".

Another co-worker quietly explained to him what "B.F.H." actually stood for.

(Big F&^*in' Hammer - in case you hadn't figured it out)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

"Kinell," with the emphasis on the second syllable, comes in useful at times. :roll:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
TomB

Post by TomB »

SteveShaw wrote:"Kinell," with the emphasis on the second syllable, comes in useful at times. :roll:

Steve

What, no hint as to the meaning, or should I assume it?
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

"kinell" is a multiple contraction (hmmm, seeing that in writing prompts me to consider that expectant mothers experiencing multiple contractions might well exclaim "kinell" too!).

I suppose it could be written 'kin' 'ell.

Kin can be used on its own, as in "We'd have won if it hadn't been for the kinaustralian bowlers."
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

GaryKelly wrote: I suppose it could be written 'kin' 'ell.
I know, but I didn't want to make it too kinobvious. :D

Steve

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

SteveShaw wrote:I know, but I didn't want to make it too kinobvious. :D
Kinright mate :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

GaryKelly wrote:"kinell" is a multiple contraction (hmmm, seeing that in writing prompts me to consider that expectant mothers experiencing multiple contractions might well exclaim "kinell" too!).
Actually, that's not the first thing that comes out of my mouth when having multiple contractions
:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

izzarina wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:"kinell" is a multiple contraction (hmmm, seeing that in writing prompts me to consider that expectant mothers experiencing multiple contractions might well exclaim "kinell" too!).
Actually, that's not the first thing that comes out of my mouth when having multiple contractions
:lol:

:-? :-? :-?

Steve