Irish Declare War on France- that should get folks to read

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ninjaaron »

mvhplank wrote:My poor old Arab is probably spinning in his grave.

M
Correction, he's spinning on my plate
Everyone likes music
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

ninjaaron wrote:

M
Too crude ninja - poor taste in view of the close relationship other posters have illustrated with their horse friends.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I know we have all these jokes about France today and it's role in WWII, however I've heard that they had a very formidible foreign legion at one time.
Yes they did. It was full of foreigners. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

cowtime wrote:You reminded me of my last horse, also an Arab(Polish). He had a fancy show ring name, but his REAL name was George. I'd had horses all my life, but this Arabian really was different personality. I'd never had a horse that literally followed me around like a dog, who WANTED to do stuff with me instead of looking warily for an escape route when they realized I was going to get them out of the field. He was very "hyper" and stubborn but also a very companionable horse. He was given to me by a lady who owned an Arabian horse farm, son of a famous stallion import that they got on loan from Poland for a few years in this country for stud purposes. He was one of the colts they "culled" that year because he did not have the typey Arab head. They were later suprised to learn that he became the high point winner in English Arabian show class. His floating trot was something to see. Later he became a great trail horse and good pet. I loved George, he was a funny mischevious horse with tons of personality.
My guy was also a Polish Arab, and from your description, our horses were probably related. He was line-bred from Raffles (a practice that, in people, results in West Virginia inbred-cousin jokes). Raffles was a ritzy Polish stallion whose get seemed to run to small, stubborn, gray horses. Yeah, mine had a great trot, too, and loved to race the cars down the driveway, tail up like a flag.

I guess horses can be tasty, but I don't know that first-hand. Turning that guy into food would have been like canabalism.

---

Regarding friends on the dinner plate--I saw a clip of scientists who were studying lobsters and developing quite an affection for them over the years. But when asked whether they still eat the critters, one said, "Well, yes. But never one that I knew."

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

anniemcu wrote:
ninjaaron wrote:

M
Too crude ninja - poor taste in view of the close relationship other posters have illustrated with their horse friends.
Thanks for the thought.

I keep telling myself that the freedoms we celebrate so loudly do not include the freedom from being offended. :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

claudine wrote:ok, but at least he tried very hard
"Do, or do not...there is no try."-Yoda

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

mvhplank wrote:This reminds me of a joke I heard recently, and I'll repeat it at the risk of offending someone:

Q: How many Frenchman does it take to fight off an invading army?

A: No one knows--it's never been done.

I must point out, in self-defense, that like most Americans, my ancestors came from Europe, and some of my mother's family had roots in Alsace-Lorraine, which is sort of France. There are stories of a couple of elderly aunts who'd tell blue jokes by punning from French to German. :D

M
I am from Alsace (my mother) and Lorraine (my father) myself, so I am some sort of french... ;)

The problem with this joke is that you can do it with dozens of other countries. But it is always done with France. There must be something special around here.

(BTW I don't feel offended at all.)
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Doesn't this have something to do with the countries' borders providing few readily defended geographical features? I'm especially thinking of France and Poland in this regard. Seems to me, a long succession of conquering hoards have run back and forth across Poland pretty much since the beginning of "civilization."

Best wishes,
Jerry

Post by Guest »

Matt_Paris wrote:
mvhplank wrote:This reminds me of a joke I heard recently, and I'll repeat it at the risk of offending someone:

Q: How many Frenchman does it take to fight off an invading army?

A: No one knows--it's never been done.

I must point out, in self-defense, that like most Americans, my ancestors came from Europe, and some of my mother's family had roots in Alsace-Lorraine, which is sort of France. There are stories of a couple of elderly aunts who'd tell blue jokes by punning from French to German. :D

M
I am from Alsace (my mother) and Lorraine (my father) myself, so I am some sort of french... ;)

The problem with this joke is that you can do it with dozens of other countries. But it is always done with France. There must be something special around here.

(BTW I don't feel offended at all.)
Don't worry the neonazis must start somewhere!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

mvhplank wrote:
cowtime wrote:You reminded me of my last horse, also an Arab(Polish). He had a fancy show ring name, but his REAL name was George. I'd had horses all my life, but this Arabian really was different personality. I'd never had a horse that literally followed me around like a dog, who WANTED to do stuff with me instead of looking warily for an escape route when they realized I was going to get them out of the field. He was very "hyper" and stubborn but also a very companionable horse. He was given to me by a lady who owned an Arabian horse farm, son of a famous stallion import that they got on loan from Poland for a few years in this country for stud purposes. He was one of the colts they "culled" that year because he did not have the typey Arab head. They were later suprised to learn that he became the high point winner in English Arabian show class. His floating trot was something to see. Later he became a great trail horse and good pet. I loved George, he was a funny mischevious horse with tons of personality.
My guy was also a Polish Arab, and from your description, our horses were probably related. He was line-bred from Raffles (a practice that, in people, results in West Virginia inbred-cousin jokes). Raffles was a ritzy Polish stallion whose get seemed to run to small, stubborn, gray horses. Yeah, mine had a great trot, too, and loved to race the cars down the driveway, tail up like a flag.

I guess horses can be tasty, but I don't know that first-hand. Turning that guy into food would have been like canabalism.

---

Regarding friends on the dinner plate--I saw a clip of scientists who were studying lobsters and developing quite an affection for them over the years. But when asked whether they still eat the critters, one said, "Well, yes. But never one that I knew."

M

George was sired by Fawor. He was one of Paramont's first crop(I think) of foals from him.
Here's a link to Fawor-

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm ... /fawor.htm

re: diets- I'm with the guys studying the lobsters. When we had beef cattle I never liked to kill a beef- couldn't eat one I could put a face on.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

toasty wrote:Don't worry the neonazis must start somewhere!
What do you mean? I don't understand...
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

Matt_Paris wrote:
Me neither. That was pretty obscure.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

mvhplank wrote:
Matt_Paris wrote:
Me neither. That was pretty obscure.
OK, so it's not only my english :lol:
AaronMalcomb

Re: Irish Declare War on France- that should get folks to re

Post by AaronMalcomb »

TomB wrote:The Irish Declare War on France... [snip]
"Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch of pints, and
decided there's no way we can feed two hundred thousand prisoners."
I first heard this joke in Canada but it was Newfies (Newfoundlanders) invading the United States.
Matt_Paris wrote:

I wouldn't give it much thought. Toasty has posted some real bafflers and I think he's (I'm presuming the gender) thrown the neonazi word my way before.

Cheers,
Aaron
Matt_Paris

Re: Irish Declare War on France- that should get folks to re

Post by Matt_Paris »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I wouldn't give it much thought. Toasty has posted some real bafflers and I think he's (I'm presuming the gender) thrown the neonazi word my way before.

Cheers,
Aaron
Maybe one more example of <a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law" target = _blank>Godwin's law</a>.

Do not feed...