Chiff & Fipple sign in: What ya' listening to right now.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

The reverberations in my head from the session tonight... still spinning. Fun!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Construction work from upstairs, interspersed with pop-sing-alongs when the workers join in with the radio.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I too have tuned into silence...(i.e. I'm at work...Ironic isn't it...they let me waste time on the internet, but I cant have music...)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Crysania
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crysania »

As I'm at work, nothing right now.

The last thing I was listening to was in the car on the way here: Warming Up...a great album with Jack Coen, Martin Mulhaire, and Seamus Connolly.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
moxy

Post by moxy »

Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Wow, I never listened to this before, it's really very good!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've been listening to Frank Harte, Kevin Crawford (D Flute Album), Shelagh McDonald, Judee Sill, Comus, Forest, and assorted blues and old timey albums.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Gillian Welch,Revelator.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

moxy wrote:Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Wow, I never listened to this before, it's really very good!
"Play me Old King Cole...."
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Noel Rice and Baal Tinne. Good stuff. :)

--James
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I'm still enjoying the priest and the minister (Seamus Quinn and Gary Hastings)--thanks Jack! Also Paddy O'Brien, James Kelly and Dathi Sproule, and last week I picked up the Alan Lomax collection of Irish music, which is ok but has some nice songs on it.

Wish I had the Dusty Miller...

Justine
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The little Dublin heart is currently being melted by the impossible delicacy and gentle soulfulness of "In the Heart of the Moon" by the two Mali boys Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate.

About one third traditional and the remainder being shared out by the two boys original compositions, this is an astounding album that I have been playing constantly for about a week now.

The week before that I came across a "Best of Shamus Tansey" CD which comes in at just over thirty seven minutes so I assume it was an Album originally.I have never heard such a huge tone being produced on a flute and the piano backing is rather tasteful and quite back in the mix giving the flute plenty of room to breathe, so to speak.

For the first time in my life I'm toying with the idea of buying a flute but hopefully I'll wise up when the initial impact of this album subsides :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

dubhlinn wrote: The week before that I came across a "Best of Shamus Tansey" CD which comes in at just over thirty seven minutes so I assume it was an Album originally.I have never heard such a huge tone being produced on a flute and the piano backing is rather tasteful and quite back in the mix giving the flute plenty of room to breathe, so to speak.
That's interesting. I owned his Easter Snow a number of years ago, and I can recal being utterly underwhelmed by it, but I keep hearing about what a smashing fluter (as well as being a fine gentleman, I might add) he is.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: The week before that I came across a "Best of Shamus Tansey" CD which comes in at just over thirty seven minutes so I assume it was an Album originally.I have never heard such a huge tone being produced on a flute and the piano backing is rather tasteful and quite back in the mix giving the flute plenty of room to breathe, so to speak.
That's interesting. I owned his Easter Snow a number of years ago, and I can recal being utterly underwhelmed by it, but I keep hearing about what a smashing fluter (as well as being a fine gentleman, I might add) he is.
I have heard many contrasting opinions of Tanseys playing over the years and my knowledge of flute matters is tiny.Apart from whistles, all my instruments are stringed.

I will check out some more Tansey, especially Easter Snow, but on the evidence of The Best of...I am rapidly becoming a fan.That strong attacking style appeals to me.He takes no prisoners with his playing style, just goes in hard from the start.

Hope that makes sense :lol:

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I believe Easer Snow is widely believed to be an unfortuate depiction of his abilities, and is marred by awful cynth backing, etc.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Seamus Ennis....Lark in the Morning
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe