An Píobaire delayed issue

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ailin
antispam: No

An Píobaire delayed issue

Post by Ailin »

Has anyone been able to download the "delayed" issue of An Píobaire
successfully? So far either I have bailed out early from the download or else it takes a really long time to download. I have DSL so it's not like I have a slow connection.

Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I was getting of 5K/sec, which is bad for a cable connection.
I suspect either a lot of people are downloading the file, or the people at NPU are unaware of their small bandwith.

Even with an accelerator like GetRight, it is still going to take ten minutes to download.

EDIT : The file downloaded without any problems. It took 14 minutes with GetRight. I hope they continue to do this. The pictures are much bigger and clearer in PDF and I can't spill coffee on this one. :lol:

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

mukade wrote: Even with an accelerator like GetRight, it is still going to take ten minutes to download. (emphasis mine...DG)

....and here I was thinking you were talking about it taking hours. Do what we plebs still stuck on Dial-up do, set it downloading overnight while you sleep or practice the pipes :) .

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
mukade

Post by mukade »

Hours?

We aren't copying it out with parchment and quill.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The fastest connection I ever got was 3.5 Kb/s, 2.5 would be more the average and it has been down to 0.9 a bit too often. And you complain about 5? Where I am postal delivery is usually faster than that.
I got my printed copy during the Willie week last month though.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

mukade wrote:Hours?

We aren't copying it out with parchment and quill.

Mukade
My point exactly, but from the sound of the initial concern that's what I thought the trouble was. When I read 'ten minutes' in the context of it taking a really long time I could only laugh at the effect modern technology has on us. I realise you weren't the one to complain of it taking "a really long time to download" so I wonder now what Ailin means by "a really long time"

Anyway, not meaning to get into a fight. Just looking for the humour in it all. :)

Cheers,

DavidG
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

David.....I was considering the fact that it was taking a whole 5 minutes without anything seeming to be happening as a really long time! The point is right that we've (I've) gotten too used to getting things immediately or just short of it over the internet, and anything more than that seems like a really long time. :lol:
So I guess I will download it again and just walk away for awhile.
Maybe this will turn out to actually be a better way of receivng "An Píobaire".
Ailin
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Here I am back after the download, and with DSL speed it took approx. 10 minutes. So I guess it's just a matter of patience, especially for those with dial up.

Ailin
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Glad it came through okay in the end Ailin. I'm going to wait for the paper version. There's something about the flipping of the glossy pages and being able to read anywhere at anytime - on the thunder box for instance :D - that just can't be done with a PDF.

Sorry for sounding a bit terse (sp?/meanig?) the first time. :)

Cheers,

DavidG
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

I haven't recieved an edition of An Piobaire since April (no30), was that no 31 you got Peter?
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

'S probably my fault. I paid for membership for the first time just a couple months ago. Probably my membership gumming up the works. Typical.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

buskerSean wrote:I haven't recieved an edition of An Piobaire since April (no30), was that no 31 you got Peter?
It was. Didn't get my copy through the post yet though, there were copies up for grabs during the Willie week.
maw

Post by maw »

WannabePiper wrote:'S probably my fault. I paid for membership for the first time just a couple months ago. Probably my membership gumming up the works. Typical.
tut,tut,tut... :evil:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

maw wrote:
WannabePiper wrote:'S probably my fault. I paid for membership for the first time just a couple months ago. Probably my membership gumming up the works. Typical.
tut,tut,tut... :evil:
I shut off streetlamps and wristwatches too.
maw

Post by maw »

:lol:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!