Soprano Db Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ConnieS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Soprano Db Whistle

Post by ConnieS »

Does anybody make them? I'd like to get one if they do.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Mike Burke makes them.
~JessieD
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Erle Bartlett, Syn whistles.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I suppose it depends on your perspective, but I have always seen them called Csharp.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

The only D flat whistle I've seen was a Generation D that got stepped on by a horse when the whistle's owner accidentally dropped it in the stall.
dapple

Post by dapple »

Colin Goldie also makes them.

http://www.overton.de/texte/pricelist.html
~ David
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

So does Gary Humphrey. I love Db whistles, they have a wonderful mellow sound!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

compared to what?
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Peter Laban wrote:I suppose it depends on your perspective, but I have always seen them called Csharp.
Ya, what's up with that?

I could have sworn that in my youth when I was taking piano and music theory lessons, that I learnt the C# major scale (ie 7 sharps, the scale that comes after F# major) rather than the Db major scale. But since I started frequenting this board, I've noticed everyone talking about Db major rather than C# major.

Did some revamp of music theory take place, that I wasn't aware of? Or maybe the American music system is different (my lessons were under the Royal School of Music syllabus)?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

NicoMoreno wrote:compared to what?
Compared to a dentist's drill. :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I have a hunch that Chris Abell and John Sindt now produce C# whistles but I'm feeling too lazy to do the checking for you.

FWIW, I'm certainly going to order a C# from Erle Bartlett in the near future as well as whistles in other unusual keys.
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

I could have sworn that in my youth when I was taking piano and music theory lessons, that I learnt the C# major scale (ie 7 sharps, the scale that comes after F# major) rather than the Db major scale. But since I started frequenting this board, I've noticed everyone talking about Db major rather than C# major.

Did some revamp of music theory take place, that I wasn't aware of? Or maybe the American music system is different (my lessons were under the Royal School of Music syllabus)?
Maybe it IS one of those American things. I went back to my Mechanics of Music workbook, and found that there is a key of C# AND a key of Db. So both are right. At least according to this book (by Roger Jenni, c. 1974), which is published in the U.S. I also find both keys articulated in more recent publications. Also U.S. publications.

Doesn't matter for tinwhistle, I guess. Either way, it's hard to find, but apparently findable. Thanks for the help, everyone.[/quote]
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It's not that Dflat doesn't exist as a key but just like nobody would go looking ever for an A sharp whistle of a D sharp (but for B and E flat respectively instead) it's positively strange to ask after a Dflat.
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

:oops:
Well, I guess I've still got some nooB left in me. Until we had the internet, I never knew there was anything but a D whistle. :oops: C# it is, then.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Db and C# are essentially the same key (and are as far as whistles are concerned...string instruments are a different story).

Db is a bit of an easier key to handle in the classical wind world...5 flats as opposed to the 7 sharps of C#. So many people in the classical world will naturally call it Db.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>