my first flute - Patrick Olwell bamboo G [w/pics]

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Picky Picky.
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ninjaaron »

That is Delicious. :P

(the emot is supposed to represent me licking the screen in this case, not sticking out my tongue).
Everyone likes music
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Speaking of delicious, you forgot to mention how wonderful an Olwell bamboo smells!!!!

(call me weird, but I love that about mine)

Ditto on seisflutes and everyone else about the embouchure. Especially the practice part.

Enjoy!!!!!!!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Speaking of delicious, you forgot to mention how wonderful an Olwell bamboo smells!!!!

(call me weird, but I love that about mine)
Me too! It's always the first thing that comes to mind about my Olwell bamboo. Yum!

Carol
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

The smell is nice. Very unique, and I assume from the oil used to season the bamboo.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Has anyone ever cured bamboo with a torch? If this is the smell you are all talking about it is a lovely smell. I mentioned that the wort at the Anchor brewery in San Francisco smelled like someone curing bamboo....they just gave me weird looks, probably thought I was sampling too much. :lol:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Yes, there's a slightly burnt smell to it; I think it must be the curing rather than an oil, but I'm not sure.

Carol
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

They are beautiful aren't they............

Just picked up an "E" while at East Durham (risking life, limb, and divorce of the flute-aquiring type !)

PS...I beleive the smell is from burning the holes....

PPS.....I use hazelnut oil on my flutes....flavored coffeee addict....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I figured it was from some sort of burning- or flaming-type-deal, too.

Yummy, Jack! I see a whole new line of General Flutes International oil products, including .... what else? Irish Cream! :party:

Speaking of scented oils, when repeated cleaning/oilings and flute-roll washings still didn't mitigate that fusty pub-&-road funk emanating from one particular flute, I put a stick of mild sandalwood incense into its case for about three days (I checked every day to make sure it wasn't starting to smell like one of those old head shops)(whoo-hoo! party flute, dude!) .... and ahhhh. Much better.

Now it's mostly neutral linseed oil (I love that smell, too) with a faint hint of beeswax and sandalwood, like the inside of an old jewelry box.

:oops:

.... Doh, you're right. I am a goofball.

P.S. Congrats on the E, Jack! Just let your wife sniff it for a while, and she'll calm down. Olwell's Aromatherapy Products ... I can see it now. Kara?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Ya know what? I think I might have one in D! It was given to me by a friend who couldn't reach the holes, and she told me she got it "somewhere in Virginia," but she didn't remember the maker's name. Looking at these pics, it looks very similar. The color and burning, and the ridges inside and all. And it smells good too. I think my nameless bamboo flute is being upgraded to a possible Olwell! It is nice, and it was actually the first flute I ever played(she loaned it to me for a week a few years before she gave it to me), so it has some good memories to it.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

seisflutes wrote:Ya know what? I think I might have one in D! It was given to me by a friend who couldn't reach the holes, and she told me she got it "somewhere in Virginia," but she didn't remember the maker's name. Looking at these pics, it looks very similar. The color and burning, and the ridges inside and all. And it smells good too. I think my nameless bamboo flute is being upgraded to a possible Olwell! It is nice, and it was actually the first flute I ever played(she loaned it to me for a week a few years before she gave it to me), so it has some good memories to it.
Did she mention about how much it cost? I am wondering if it is not an Erik the Flutemaker flute. He sells a lot of them at shows and fairs back East and on the internet. If it was in the $35-40 range, that would be my guess.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

No, she didn't. So, do Erik the Flutemaker flutes look like this Olwell G? This would have been a while ago that she got it, not sure how long, but I think pretty long ago, if that means anything. And it has the letter "D" written in ink on the end, the place where the endcap would be if it had one. That's all I know.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

seisflutes wrote:Ya know what? I think I might have one in D! It was given to me by a friend who couldn't reach the holes, and she told me she got it "somewhere in Virginia," but she didn't remember the maker's name. Looking at these pics, it looks very similar. The color and burning, and the ridges inside and all. And it smells good too. I think my nameless bamboo flute is being upgraded to a possible Olwell! It is nice, and it was actually the first flute I ever played(she loaned it to me for a week a few years before she gave it to me), so it has some good memories to it.
There's a bamboo flute maker in Floyd, VA that makes good stuff. Woodsong flutes. I have/have-had instruments from this shop that were really nice. I wish I knew where my high A flute was.

http://www.woodsonginstruments.com/

Anyone wanna trade something for a low C? It's very nice, just too big for my hands.
William Bajzek
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Hrmm, those look like it too, thought the pics aren't as close up so it's hard to tell. But see, Patrick Olwell is in VA too. So I don't know! What kind of bags do the woodsong ones come in? I forgot to mention that it came in this really ugly tapestry-ish bag.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

seisflutes wrote:Hrmm, those look like it too, thought the pics aren't as close up so it's hard to tell. But see, Patrick Olwell is in VA too. So I don't know! What kind of bags do the woodsong ones come in? I forgot to mention that it came in this really ugly tapestry-ish bag.
Yep, that's them.

Olwells have "olwell" engraved on them. I have a high Bb.
William Bajzek