New Bush-bash Low: the President is too physically fit

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:Well, nobody ever said the Right had the market cornered on frivolous opinion pieces; there is an overabundance of worthless pundits on both sides. It gives folks from the other side something to point at and snigger, "Look how ridiculous they are." :roll:

Unless you purchased the paper which published the opinion piece, you got your money's worth. (If you did purchase the paper, then you got robbed, at least as far as the linked article is concerned.)
Exactly: This is mere tripe. Personally, I'd prefer my President to be physically fit and active. It's proven what it does to help with stress, etc.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wombat wrote:
Denny wrote:
s1m0n wrote:There's nothing in the article which supports your accusations that this is "left" or "liberal" criticism.

The author's comments are unrelated to any particular ideology.
A senior editor for The New Republic?

Oh yeah, I think he's got you there Weeks.
Unless you support this with something in the actual content of the article, this remark is merely a blatant and sleazy ad hominum.

Your move.
Oh yeah, I think you got me there Wombat.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

TomB wrote:
jsluder wrote:Well, nobody ever said the Right had the market cornered on frivolous opinion pieces; there is an overabundance of worthless pundits on both sides. It gives folks from the other side something to point at and snigger, "Look how ridiculous they are." :roll:

Unless you purchased the paper which published the opinion piece, you got your money's worth. (If you did purchase the paper, then you got robbed, at least as far as the linked article is concerned.)
Exactly: This is mere tripe. Personally, I'd prefer my President to be physically fit and active. It's proven what it does to help with stress, etc.

All the Best, Tom
We can agree on something there, Tom. I am struggling to make an hour a day myself and I appreciate encouragement instead of hand-wringing discouragement and a put-down.

Seriously, folks, do you think the LA Times editor might have offered a "No thanks" to the guy and gone with another syndicated column? I guess that would be censorship, though, even in a time of epidemic obesity in the U.S.....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote:
TomB wrote:

All the Best, Tom

We can agree on something there, Tom. I am struggling to make an hour a day myself and I appreciate encouragement instead of hand-wringing discouragement and a put-down.

Weeks: That's a good point. I find it tough to get a workout in 3 or 4 times a week, and this "writer" who even if he does work a lot of hours, he probably has a pretty flexible schedule. I don't lump him in with us normal folks as having tough jobs- and no, everyone, I'm not saying that writing is not a tough job- hell, I couldn't do it.

Tom

Seriously, folks, do you think the LA Times editor might have offered a "No thanks" to the guy and gone with another syndicated column? I guess that would be censorship, though, even in a time of epidemic obesity in the U.S.....
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Personally I'm a big fan or exercise myself. Just returned from a week long fishing trip with family and friends. The index fingers and the thumbs of both hands are sore from repeated opening of "pop top" beer cans and my right elbow and sholder are almost unusable from hoisting the cans to my mouth. I can barely play whistle! :D :D
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm a big fan of 12-ounce curls myself, Pete. ;)

I'm also a huge fan of a scant hour of running at lunchtime. I almost invariably get more done in the afternoon after a good run. It increases my energy level, and the mental benefit cannot be overstated. It opens the mind, frees it up. This may give the benefit that personal issues don't interfere as much with work, but it also gives more insight to problems at work. I can't think how many times I've gone into my boss's office, dripping sweat, saying, "I've got it! While I was running. . ."

It's really a win-win-win situation. The runner can work with more energy, more efficiently, and for more years (President excepted, of course).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Since getting this job, Chas, I walk about 3 miles at lunch (up and down a gradual slope) everyday except right now, because its over 90 in the summer. I am convinced that there is something about walking that is better than more vigorous excercise for reducing cholesterol, because I have blood tests every six months for life and I had some inexplicably good news at last test. The only thing I could attribute it to was the walking (no change in diet, etc). I walk pretty fast but it's still not enough to be considered aerobic, yet the benefits are manifest.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Interesting choice of habits to criticize... especially given all the other *actual* problems he's got. I'm for the exercise, now if he can just get it to help his brain... but I don't think Rove is showing the physical benefits yet. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey, that's right...isn't Rove kinda pudgy? Guess he's not with the program! :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

If Chait doesn't like that, wait 'till President Schwarzenegger takes office! :)

</joke>
TomB

Post by TomB »

fearfaoin wrote:If Chait doesn't like that, wait 'till President Schwarzenegger takes office! :)

</joke>

PLEASE!!! Don't get us started. :o

Tom
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I.D.10-t wrote: His future was predicted in the end of Conan where it said that he shall have his own kingdom but his crown will sit on a troubled brow.

Later in “Demolition Man” the mentioned how an amendment was made so that a non native born Americans could become president.

Now he is Governor of Reagan’s state.
I fear that it is too late. If it is predicted by movies, it will happen.

Exercise and cigars for everyone!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy

Post by missy »

quote:
"......wait 'till President Schwarzenegger takes office"

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO!

How many times do I have to TELL you that I do NOT want to see President Schwarzenegger because that will open up the way for President Jerry Springer, too???!!!! :o
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

I.D.10-t wrote:[Exercise and cigars for everyone!
\

...and for you woman out there, watch your backs.