SUCCESS!!! NE Whistle Gathering '05

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

It was a great time. I didn't know it was home brew or I would have tried the beer. Dratsky.

Oh well, it was a great day. The weather was perfect, the site was lovely (okay, there was an abundance of mosquitoes, but who's counting?) and there was always music playing somewhere around the circle. The instrument table was always in the center of things -- everything from a button box to a weird/wonderful cross of a saxaphone and bagpipe, and a ton of whistles to try out. A few whistles found new and appreciative homes (I got an E! I got an E!) and the new Sweetheart Low D's and BRAND new Sweetheart soprano C's were subject to a lot of playing. (When I got there the C's were unfinished. . .half an hour later they were ready for the road!

For me, there was something really cool about ambling down to the stream and sitting in the middle of .5 level rapids with a couple of shrieking kids and doing what we all SHOULD be doing on a perfect summer day. . .having fun. Thanks Walt for offering the site. Thanks to Slowair for keeping the ball rolling. Thanks to everyone who showed up for making it such a great day!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tyghress wrote:It was a great time. I didn't know it was home brew or I would have tried the beer. Dratsky.

!
Well Heck, Tyg-- you live just down the road... I'll bet Uncle Walt would be happy to give you a rain check. It was mighty tasty!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

brewerpaul wrote:
Tyghress wrote:It was a great time. I didn't know it was home brew or I would have tried the beer. Dratsky.

!
Well Heck, Tyg-- you live just down the road... I'll bet Uncle Walt would be happy to give you a rain check. It was mighty tasty!
The home brew sure hit the spot. Throw in the warm hospitality, wonderful group of folks and whistles and other instruments, scenic location - and I'd gladly make the 2.5 hour trip again.

It was really nice to see some old friends and some C&Fers I'd never met, play tunes with you all, including L.E. McCullough, and browse the SweetShop ( :D ).

Special thanks to the Sweets.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

brewerpaul wrote:Jeez-- it's 9:00 and I'm the first to post about the gathering yesterday! Sleepyheads!

I heard some really terrific playing and when I got closer I saw why-- LE McCullough had made the trip up from New Jersey.
Yes well I got home around 12:30 but didn't go to bed till about 4. So that is who that was I new he looked farmiliar I had seen pictures of him. I had a great time and when most people went swimming the playing was the greatest there were just 4 of us two whistles, me on Flute/Mandolin/Low Whistle, and a Guitar. Now because I played slowair's accordion I have to have one so I have devised a plan. Thanks to the Sweets for everything including Walt letting me play a lot of instruments from his personal collection including Flutes and a Tenor Banjo and the shop tour. Tyg there were so many mosquitoes I have about a million bites. I even sold two whistles one of my own Tweaked Feadogs and a Whitecap with Oak, Gan, and Clare now I have an exuse to update my sale post. I can't wait till the next one!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm glad it was good! Personal reasons and exhaustion prevented me from trying add that extra 3-4 hours to my travels this weekend, but someday...

P.S. Mike, check your link...it doesn't seem to be working!
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I'm glad it was a success,sounds like everyone had a great time :)
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
slowair

Post by slowair »

emmline wrote:I'm glad it was good! Personal reasons and exhaustion prevented me from trying add that extra 3-4 hours to my travels this weekend, but someday...

P.S. Mike, check your link...it doesn't seem to be working!
Yes, I've reported it to the web host, but apparently the company no longer has 24/7 customer support. I had to leave a message. I'll be shopping for a new host this week.

Mike
BD

NE Whistle Gathering

Post by BD »

I had a fantastic time! It's nice to put faces to some of the names I see on the forum. High points of the day for me: being around other whistle players; getting to sample so many of the whistles I've been curious about (I'm not really apt to buy a high end whistle sight unseen); and watching and listening to some really fine players. Next year I hope to stay longer and play more. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Butch
I care not who makes the laws of a country as long as I can listen to their music!
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Indeed, it was a lovely day. Special thanks are due to the Sweets, Slow Air, Unseen and the others who made the day possible. Also, my thanks to Philo for the ride up and back--I've finally met my match in terms of keeping a conversation going!! It was a special pleasure to meet L.E. McCullough and to be sitting and playing music in the same circle with him and the already noted C & F regulars in attendance, many of whom I previously knew only by screen name, through e-mails or by their postings on the message board.

The new Sweet whistles were a joy to behold and try out. Taken in conjunction with the fine collection of his whistles that Paul Busman brought, it is probably not an exageration to say that we were in very close proximity to the largest temporary collection of fine wooden whistles in the world.

The day was a real motivator for me, as well as a reminder that there sure are a lot of tunes to be learned!!

Tom Dowling
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I've de-briefed Gunther. :) He said he had a great time. He particularly mentioned trying some terrific whistles, like Slowair's Lon Dubh (just as good as a Generation and about 50 times more expensive, hehehe ;) ). He also rather likes the newer Syn.

Best thing, Gunther says, was meeting lots of New Chiffers and seeing old friends again (and PhilO, too). Says he had a great time playing a few tunes with LE McC. Unfortunately he had to go just as things were jelling a bit more and thus was unable to participate in the slow and ceremonial communal playing of Give Me Your Hand.

He did buy me one of the new Sweetheart Pro Cs, the dear. Lovely thing (the whistle, not Gunther).

Mostly, of course, he's in love with Tygh and mumbles her name incessantly, fingering a Grinter D in his pocket... :D
/Bloomfield
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have noticed a few of the gatherers have posted there for sales including me updating my post I have gotten some feedback actually.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Pics please!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:Pics please!
Mais bien sûr.

Unseen122, TomD, and Slowair.
/Bloomfield
slowair

Post by slowair »

My pics are up. If anyone else wants to put theirs on the offical page, send them to my email address. slowair11@hotmail.com

http://www.communitylinks.us/ne05.htm

Bloomy, I'm the one in the middle, Tom is on the right. But that is definitley Unseen122 on the left.
Last edited by slowair on Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Great pics, thanks. Glad to supply assorted body parts. SlowAir ya done yeoman service all the way round!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.