Daylight Savings extended

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Daylight Savings extended

Post by Teri-K »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/22/ ... index.html

Excuse me, but why did they bother?

This quote is particularly, uh... particularly baffling:

"According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights."

Can't the damn cows figure out how to turn back their Rolex watches?? And how in the world did they cope before humans began measuring time?
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Daylight Savings extended

Post by Tyler »

Teri-K wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/22/ ... index.html

Excuse me, but why did they bother?

This quote is particularly, uh... particularly baffling:

"According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights."

Can't the damn cows figure out how to turn back their Rolex watches?? And how in the world did they cope before humans began measuring time?
Further proof that the world is coming to pieces :P .
Now...
does anyone know where to buy fallout shelters... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

It always reminded me of the old fellow who got tired of his feet sticking out of his blanket.

To solve the problem, he cut a foot off of the head and stiched it on the foot of the blanket. :boggle:

It has never made sense to me. :-?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

"Kids across the nation will soon rejoice," said Upton, because they'll have another hour of daylight trick-or-treating.
What??? :o Trick-or-treating is no fun in daylight! What is this dude thinking??
Maybe parents will rejoice because it's a bit safer, but kids? I sure wouldn't. Grmble.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Oh jeez. If I had any idea I wouldn't have voted for him. What a stupid thing to say. I voted for him because he's claimed to have been fighting to have I-94 widened between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. I guess I was wrong.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

This is fine with me. More daylight in the afternoon extends the after-work hiking season. :D
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

That's true but I have to be at work at 4:00 AM. I personally would like it dark earlier.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:That's true but I have to be at work at 4:00 AM. I personally would like it dark earlier.
Ugh. And I thought getting up at 4 AM was bad.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I remember that expanded daylight savings was tried back in the 70s, but I can't remember whether it was during Nixon/Ford or during the Carter years. But then, I can't remember whether a lot of things back then were during Nixon/Ford or during the Carter years.

What I do remember was that it didn't save much energy then, either.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights."

I can't comment on the airlines, but few farmers can actually make a living only farming nowdays. Most have "day jobs".Careing for livestock has to work around beginning and quiting time at the outside job. Daylight savings time changes means the feeding schedule gets screwed up.(and in March cattle are still needing to be fed since the grass for grazing is only just starting then.

Cattle tell time (their version anyway) really well. :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote:I remember that expanded daylight savings was tried back in the 70s, but I can't remember whether it was during Nixon/Ford or during the Carter years. But then, I can't remember whether a lot of things back then were during Nixon/Ford or during the Carter years.

What I do remember was that it didn't save much energy then, either.
It was Carter, and it did save some energy; not as much as is saved in the summer. It got a bad rap, though, in that a lot of kids were hit by cars waiting for their buses in the morning, because they were going to school in the dard. It turned out in the end that the increase in those hit in the morning were about offset by the reduction in those hit in the afternoon.

And, geez, the airlines complaining that they can't handle us going on DST at ta different time as the rest of the world? Well, we don't have the same schedule as Europe (I was messed up by that once), and much of the rest of the world doesn't have DST at all.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

A lot of the older farmers here just refused to reset their clocks to daylight savings time. This is less of an option nowadays, as most people of necessity get out and about more.
Reasonable person
Walden