Walls across the border.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I not making any comparisons. Illegal immigration has to stop. It's not a matter of the haves or have nots. It's the illegal crossing of a internationally recognized national boundry. The have and have not argument doesn't hold. There are citizens who live in the streets without food, i.e. they "have not". Yet were they to rob a store for bread they would be prosecuted and no one would consider it immoral. A person who worked hard to obtain their home and hearth would not be considered immoral if they ejected a squatter who barged in under the misguided notion that they have a moral right to what someone else has earned.
Every person who lives in the U.S. illegally is a slap in the face to those who had to work hard to obtain citizenship, to those born here and to every citizen of the past 240 years. There isn't a nation in the world that would not defend it's borders from such an incursion, some brutally, yet in spite of the remarkable magnaminity shown by the US in the past, any curtailing effort is regarded as immoral only because it's the U.S.
Our borders are not closed to those who wish, through legal means, to live and work here. There is nothing immoral or inhumane to expect people to adhere to those means and to reject those who don't.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Nicely said! The important concept that people fail to grasp is that of LEGAL versus ILLEGAL activity. Or maybe they just conveniently ignore it..?

But yes, I agree that the wall will do little to slow the flood of illegal activity. However...even a little bit is something, so I support them.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Tyler Morris wrote:I got yer back, Perrins. :D
My surname is Edwards, so I'm in! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

BrassBlower wrote:
Hey John, I'm building up an army. Looks like its time to follow the steps of Owain Glyndwr and invade England!
Oggy oggy oggy
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

perrins57 wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:
Hey John, I'm building up an army. Looks like its time to follow the steps of Owain Glyndwr and invade England!
Oggy oggy oggy
When we take over, we'll force them into a TWO official language system, like in Canada!!! :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

THAT'S IT :x

If I see another thread hijacked by Amar's tatoo or any facsimile thereof I will give you a French taunting you'll never forget. AND I have access to cows!!!!!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:AND I have access to cows!!!!!
Are the cows afraid?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Flyingcursor wrote:.... AND I have access to cows!!!!!
European or African cows?
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:
And do they swallow coconuts?
TomB

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
And do they swallow coconuts?

Consult the Book of Armaments!
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Flyingcursor wrote:I not making any comparisons. Illegal immigration has to stop.
Why? I don't think our economy could do without illegal immigrants.
It's not a matter of the haves or have nots. It's the illegal crossing of a internationally recognized national boundry.
It's both of course. It's an internationally recognized national boundary separating the haves from the have-nots.
The have and have not argument doesn't hold. There are citizens who live in the streets without food, i.e. they "have not". Yet were they to rob a store for bread they would be prosecuted and no one would consider it immoral. A person who worked hard to obtain their home and hearth would not be considered immoral if they ejected a squatter who barged in under the misguided notion that they have a moral right to what someone else has earned.
Someone working illegally in the US isn't taking anything away from someone in States, except in the most esoteric sense, and they are giving a lot for very little. A hungry person robbing a store for bread is certainly less immoral than the rich exploiting the poor.
Every person who lives in the U.S. illegally is a slap in the face to those who had to work hard to obtain citizenship, to those born here and to every citizen of the past 240 years. There isn't a nation in the world that would not defend it's borders from such an incursion, some brutally, yet in spite of the remarkable magnaminity shown by the US in the past, any curtailing effort is regarded as immoral only because it's the U.S.
Oh, the poor, victimized U.S. :roll: Boo-hoo---I'm stirred to tears at the injustice. Where do you get this "only us" thing? I think any country building a wall at its borders is doing something deplorable and stupid. And just because others have done so, I don't see why the U.S. needs to do it, too.
Our borders are not closed to those who wish, through legal means, to live and work here. There is nothing immoral or inhumane to expect people to adhere to those means and to reject those who don't.
summum ius summa iniuria.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:[ A hungry person robbing a store for bread is certainly less immoral than the rich exploiting the poor.
Hey, didn't you ever see Les Mis? :wink:

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've allowed one chance to apologize.

You know who you are.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:You know who you are.
Do people ever really know themselves?
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

We'll see. :moreevil: :moreevil: