not only can they take your home, but now..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:Tyler wrote:
"A dog reflects the family life........."

Now - WAIT a minute! I make jokes about Wyley and Buster sharing one brain cell between them! Are you saying I have one brain cell???? :D

Temperment and personality, not intelligence :D
if I reflected my Chihuahua's intelligence you might find me buying a Yugo or something :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

Paul wrote:Chris A, until you walk in Gonzo's shoes you really can't judge him. Besides he said he didn't do it.

Do you live in a city that has a lot of these animals?
Whether he did such a thing or not, he sincerely advocated it as a solution, and presumably would have done it if other avenues had not been fruitful. At the time of my remarks, he had not yet denied doing such a thing.

I have lived in the city with many dogs, including pit bull types, yes, though I do not at this particular moment.

Just remember, that after you and gonzo and your allies succeed in putting to death all the dogs that look like pit bulls, the macho 'guard dog' owning types will pick another strong, fast breed to abuse until it is suitably violent.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Tyler Morris wrote: But resorting to name calling is inappropriate
That's as may be, but I will not apologize for it.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

ChrisA wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: But resorting to name calling is inappropriate
That's as may be, but I will not apologize for it.
That's pretty childish.... :-?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

gonzo914 wrote:What a lot of smug, self-righteous hypocrits, for does it not strike you as more than a tad hypocritical to be so aghast about treating a dog as described above while at the same time opposing legislation that would prevent something even ghastlier from happening to human being ? Does this not in some small way suggest to you that your priorities need to be given at least a cursory re-examination?
Hold on there gonzo... My position on the pit bull ban in Denver as a Citizen of this community is well documented here. That doesn't mean that I endorse the animals being tortured to death, or being fed sponge rubber soaked with anything until the dog becomes septic with its own waste. (a situation, incidentally, that could quite possibly make the dog more irritable and likely to attack)

There is a big difference between clinical euthanization an the subterfuge required to kill a menacing neighbor dog.
gonzo914 wrote: Did I do something like that? Of course not; it's just plain wrong. But the fact that I even considered it underscores the degree of frustration I had with the authorities inability or unwillingness to deal with a situation that was a very real threat to my family. We had a trash family of druggers living next door, and they had a pit bull to protect their inventory. They kept it chained in the back year, but it regularly broke the chain and hit the fence whenever we were in the yard. Several times my wife was forced to run for the safety of our own, more substantial fence. It took two of us to mow the lawn -- one to mow and one outrider to watch for the dog. My kids were unable to play in their own front yard because of this dog. We couldn't even walk around the block for fear of it it breaking its chain and jumping the fence when we walked past its yard.

This dog was affecting the entire neighborhood this way, and an entire neighborhood of kids played inside for a year. But when animal control was called, people were told that until the dog attacked some one, and by their interpretation, "attacked" meant actually bit someone, they could do nothing. In other words, someone had to get hurt before the authorities could take action, and since this wasn't some little ankle-biter terrier, when someone finally did get hurt, they were going to get hurt badly. The city had a "vicious dog" ordinance, but unfortunately, the dogs had more teeth that it did.
A bad situation to be sure. Not a matter of if, but when.
gonzo914 wrote:Breed-specific legislation would have prevented an entire neighborhood living in fear of a single animal for a year. Breed-specific legislation universally enforced would probably cut the number of dog-bite fatalities in this country in half. And I don't think breed-specific legislation is unreasonably restrictive of people's individual rights because it does not outlaw dog ownership; it merely places limits on the kinds of dogs one can own.
Agreed.
gonzo914 wrote:Do you want to know how we ended up handling this particular dog? This house was a rental house, so we identified the property owner, an absentee landlord in California, and then we went and got the biggest shyster of a plaintiff's attorney in town and had him contact the property owner. The attorney sent the landlord a list of incidents involving the dog (not just our family's but others as well) and informed him that should anyone be injured as a result of this dog's actions, he (the property owner) could count on being a party to any resulting legislation. Subsequently, the tenants were told to get rid of the dog, and they, figuring that all they had to do was get the dog out of sight, relegated him to the garage. An un-airconditioned garage in Kansas in August, and we found out later he baked to death when his owners left him unattended for the weekend. Unfortunate, but no tears were shed in the neighborhood. (And the tenants lease was not renewed.)
This makes me ache. :sniffle: There was no reason for that kind of suffering.

Under Denver's laws, this animal would have been removed from the neighborhood and probably put down, euthanized, destroyed, killed...(I say probably because a good number of the seized dogs have been relocated to new homes elsewhere) what ever you want to call it. Simply removed from the equation, thus restoring relative peace in the neighborhood. Barring that, its death in the garage would have been grounds for an earlier Denver law that would have allowed punishment as a felon for animal cruelty. And an even bigger problem could have been fixed with the removal of your trash neighbors.
gonzo914 wrote:I would wager that none of you have been in this situation, except maybe TomB, and I'll bet his neighbor's dog isn't a pit bull. Until you have, please spare me the self-righteous, dog-lover's rhetoric. Yes, a dog is a "living, breathing, feeling creature," but so are my kids, and their well-being has to take precedence. Would I have actually taken the steps described above had the all legal options been fruitless? I'd like to think not, but when one's family is at stake, one's reactions can be visceral.

Agreed.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Human beings kill humans more frequently than all breeds of dogs combined....[/quote]

That's our (humanity's) fight. It's on a global level. War, murders, etc. still exist within the human conversation. Unfortunately, the human conversation has not yet advanced beyond this yet. It will though, I believe.

This thing about the dogs is separate from the human conversation. These are dangerous animals living within domestic confines where they have don't belong. They should never have been brought there to begin with IMO.

Best, and cheese,
Paul
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am surprised that there was no Grandfather law for this. It is destruction of private property.

So, are their any adoption places set up out side of Denver?

PS I think sponges are dangerous and should be banned.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

One question...
What happens when all the "pit bulls" are gone and another breed incours the wrath of the public?
Another...
In Utah we have legislation against owners of violent dogs and agianst irresposible owners, and they are aggressively enforced in my area...one strike laws...and the owners can be held criminally and civily liable for the damage their dogs cause.
I have been following this a little because I have family near Denver. Why haven't the current laws on owner enforcement been gone after? If more legislation was needed, why were there no further aggresive laws against owners?
(legit questions, we have several "pit bull" breeders here, but we dont have a problem with the breed here. My father has bred Newfoundland Landseers for years, so he has had throughout my life, and continues to have, much contact with breeders of other breeds.)
Scott McCallister

I.D.10-t wrote:I am surprised that there was no Grandfather law for this. It is destruction of private property.
I suppose that’s one way of looking at it, but "private property" in the traditional sense really doesn't fit. This isn't a shotgun or motorcycle, or a potted plant of poppies or marijuana. This is a dog, that thinks and acts on its own and can insert itself into situations that are dangerous for others and itself. And this particular breed does so more than any other breed... by a fair margin.

People keep pointing a finger at the owners being responsible for the dogs' disposition, and I suppose that's true to a degree. But the snarling people who own snarling dogs aren't getting Pomeranians, Malti-poos or Golden Retrievers, or those little tinker-bell-rat-critters that Paris Hilton totes about as a fashion accessory. They get pit bulls.

Just like muggers don't wield feather dusters and bank robbers don't brandish garden hose nozzles.

They use knifes and guns. They want something that is intimidating and if needed deadly. But oddly no one seems to be itching over laws regulating this type of personal property. There are laws against carrying knifes over a certain length, against guns that fire a certain way, even against types of bullets because it is easily recognized that these things are more deadly and are sought by people wishing to inflict harm on others. And by regulating their existence, a greater safety for all is experienced.

Why then is it that the most deadly breed of dog on the planet is defended as seen here? :-?
I.D.10-t wrote:So, are their any adoption places set up out side of
Denver?
There are many, most notably this place and given my experience with the network of animal shelters, adoption agencies, and veterinary clinics in the area I'm comfortable with the level of opportunity that exists for these animals to be relocated.

Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Scott McCallister wrote:[
People keep pointing a finger at the owners being responsible for the dogs' disposition, and I suppose that's true to a degree. But the snarling people who own snarling dogs aren't getting Pomeranians, Malti-poos or Golden Retrievers, or those little tinker-bell-rat-critters that Paris Hilton totes about as a fashion accessory. They get pit bulls.
My Chihuahua is not a rat-critter.

Just like muggers don't wield feather dusters and bank robbers don't brandish garden hose nozzles.

They use knifes and guns. And by regulating their existence, a greater safety for all is experienced.

What will they "wield" when the pit bull is gone, then?
Scott McCallister

Tyler Morris wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote: People keep pointing a finger at the owners being responsible for the dogs' disposition, and I suppose that's true to a degree. But the snarling people who own snarling dogs aren't getting Pomeranians, Malti-poos or Golden Retrievers, or those little tinker-bell-rat-critters that Paris Hilton totes about as a fashion accessory. They get pit bulls.
My Chihuahua is not a rat-critter.
Well, sure he is. :D :) :lol: And a cute and loveable beast as well. You provided proof here.

Image(even if it's not actually your dog)

Tyler Morris wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote: Just like muggers don't wield feather dusters and bank robbers don't brandish garden hose nozzles.

They use knifes and guns. And by regulating their existence, a greater safety for all is experienced.

What will they "wield" when the pit bull is gone, then?
I doubt they would ever wield Chihuahuas like "Laddy" in the photo above unless they were like, throwing them at people or something :boggle: :o :lol:

Today, however, they wield pit bulls... Today we regulate pit bulls.

Tyler

Post by Tyler »

But what will you do when another breed becomes hostile?
What will happen when breeds that were not known for hostiity, become hostile...it only take a couple of generations to breed an attitude trait in most dogs......
My point is that there will come a time when you cant just legislate the problem away...
What will you do then?
Scott McCallister

Tyler Morris wrote:But what will you do when another breed becomes hostile?
What will happen when breeds that were not known for hostiity, become hostile...it only take a couple of generations to breed an attitude trait in most dogs......

What will you do then?
Better men than I will struggle with that question as well. Who can answer that?

Who knows maybe by then the "edge" will have been bred out of pit bulls and no one will harbor this concern for them. Look at the Doberman, I remember as a kid movies being made about Dobermans that were trained to rob banks... literally wielded as a weapon. Now they aren't seen as such a threat, but people seem to still have a kind of leery remembrance with that breed. Time changes all.

Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Scott McCallister wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:But what will you do when another breed becomes hostile?

What will you do then?
Better men than I will struggle with that question as well. Who can answer that?

Who knows maybe by then the "edge" will have been bred out of pit bulls and no one will harbor this concern for them. Look at the Doberman, I remember as a kid movies being made about Dobermans that were trained to rob banks... literally wielded as a weapon. Now they aren't seen as such a threat, but people seem to still have a kind of leery remembrance with that breed. Time changes all.
I could never understand as a child why Dobermans had such a bad rap, because my neighbor had two that were the nicest things...
That bad rap for them might return once the pit bull is gone...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I look at my interests, and how many things were banned because they were too dangerous for the public.

I practice Karate.
To some there is no practical use for karate except to harm others. Nevertheless, I enjoy the excursive and the attention to detail that it uses in its training.
Martial arts have often been banned
I use to target shoot, a lot (probably killed a tree worth of paper.) Even owned a rifle that is now banned from import. Many countries have all out bans.
Read the story of O (at one time banned from import)
Great Highland Bagpipe was banned after the '45 Rising. (Okay I agree with that one)
Shakuhachi banned in Japan for a few years.
One of my favorite pocket knives (the butterfly) banned for mostly aesthetic reasons in many states.

I guess to me banning things is not proactive because it does not get to the root problems. If people want to damage the community, they will find a way. Banning just seems to punish the law-abiding citizens.

Oh and for good measure, as a child I was bitten by one dog, a golden retriever. It was one of those lonely chained up dogs.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."