Tannahill Weavers interview -- what should I ask

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tannahill Weavers interview -- what should I ask

Post by Craig Stuntz »

I've just confirmed an interview with at least one member of the Tannahill Weavers on the subject of whistling in Scottish music. I've been doing some reasearch on the subject and have some ideas of what to ask but I wanted to ask for suggestions from the forum.

What would you like to know about whistling in Scottish music in general or in the Tannahill Weavers' music in particular?
kenny

You could ask......

Post by kenny »

Ask Phil why he's still the only professional traditional flute player of Scottish music in Scotland some 30 years after Matt Molloy's first recording came out. And tell him kenny says, "Fit like ?"...........
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

You could pretend you've got them confused with Silly Wizard. That should get them going. :devil:
Craig Stuntz

Re: You could ask......

Post by Craig Stuntz »

kenny wrote:Ask Phil why he's still the only professional traditional flute player of Scottish music in Scotland some 30 years after Matt Molloy's first recording came out. And tell him kenny says, "Fit like ?"...........
Maybe I should be interviewing you! :)

Regarding your questions, is there a story I should know here? You've got me curious...
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Ask them why we haven't seen them in the Los Angeles area for years.

And if Phil wants to contribute to a Wooden Flute Obsession CD.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kenny

Phil & flutes

Post by kenny »

Hi, Craig. The background to my suggestion for a question is this, and I apologise for the length of it.
I’ve known Phil Smillie and the “Tannahill Weavers” since they started playing Scottish folk clubs and festivals in the early 1970s. At that time, to my knowledge, there were no musicians playing Scottish traditional music on the wooden “simple-system” flute. Eddie McGuire was playing flute with the “Whistlebinkies”, and Sean O’Rourke with the “JSD Band”, but at that time both were playing silver Boehm system flutes. Eddie still plays Boehm system but Sean later switched to “simple-system”. There may have been flute players in the Irish communities of the larger cities in Scotland, but they , of course , were playing Irish music, not Scottish. Phil, myself and Jimmy Young in Edinburgh all took up the wooden flute around the same time, playing Irish music to begin with, but also increasing the amount of Scottish music in our repertoires.
I mentioned Matt Molloy and his first recording because that had a major impact in increasing the number of flute players in Scotland at that time, and in fact I think it was Phil who handed me a cassette tape recording of the “black” album before it was possible for me to buy it in Scotland.
My point is that it is now some 30 years since that LP came out, and since Phil, Jimmy and I started playing flutes in the Scottish folk scene. Despite our best efforts, and the efforts of many others, I still don’t think that the flute is accepted as a “true” traditional instrument in Scottish music, and it is certainly not accorded the status it is in Irish music. Most Irish bands have flute as a main instrument. Phil is the only musician I know of in a Scottish band who has the “simple-system” flute as his main instrument. There are many, many recordings of solo Irish flute players. I know of only one recording of Scottish music on flute, and that is by Chris Norman, who is Canadian. The situation with the tin-whistle is almost identical.
I suppose what I’d be interested to know is what Phil thinks of the state of traditional flute-playing in Scotland today, how it compares to the past, and where it is going. I’d be very interested to hear his thoughts on the subject.
Could you please also ask him if he’s going to the Auchtermuchty festival in a few weeks, which I know he has gone to in the past. If he is, please tell him we can discuss the subject over a few pints and tunes.
Many thanks.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Kevin and Kenny, I may or may not talk to Phil. Colin has confirmed with me, but I did invite Phil, too, since they're both whistlers. Kenny, to be honest I wasn't sure if your question was hyperbole at first but I now understand what you mean by "traditional flute" (meaning the instrument itself and not just the music / style) so thanks much for the clarification.

What Kenny writes about the flute strikes me as true about the whistle as well. It seems to have been popular in Scotland since at least the invention of the Clarke whistle in the first half of the 1800s and popular bands like the Tannahill Weavers have been selling recordings featuring it prominently for decades now, and yet information on the "Scottish whistling tradition" seems relatively difficult to come by. It's sort of amazing to me that some of the whistlers mentioned in Nigel Gatherer's history were barely even recorded. (Or if they were recorded, their recording are very hard to come by.)

At any rate, I'd like to make at least a small contribution to the public "Scottish whistling knowledge base" with this interview, but my limited whistling experience leans much more towards Irish music, since my books, my teacher, and my session are all focused on ITM. Hence my request for questions from others.

Kevin, have you emailed Phil about the WFO CD? You can find his address here. I don't know how often he checks his email, but the band seems very approachable to me.
BigDavy

Scottish Whistle Players

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Craig

If you are looking for nice whistle playing in a Scottish style, then try listening to Annie Grace (Iron Horse and the Annie Grace band) or if you ever get the chance Kenny himself (he is a s**t hot player on both whistle and flute in both Irish and Scottish genres).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I've no questions to contribute, but please do tell them that we'd love to see them here in Santa Barbara again! (I guess this qualifies as the "Los Angeles area" if you stretch it a bit.)
Craig Stuntz

Re: Scottish Whistle Players

Post by Craig Stuntz »

BigDavy wrote:If you are looking for nice whistle playing in a Scottish style, then try listening to Annie Grace (Iron Horse and the Annie Grace band)
I poked around a little and listened to some samples, but none of them seemed to have any whistling. Before I comb her entire repertoire, any recommended tracks?
BigDavy wrote:or if you ever get the chance Kenny himself (he is a s**t hot player on both whistle and flute in both Irish and Scottish genres).
Would love to, although that's a big "if." I'm lucky to have been to Scotland once.
kenny

Thanks !!

Post by kenny »

Thanks for those kind words "BigDavy". [Cheque's in the post!] In the words of that famous Scottish philosopher, Rab C.Nesbitt, "Ach, ah dae ma best".
If you want a really good example of whistle playing by a Scottish player, get hold of the CD by piper/singer and whistle player Julie Fowlis. It just came out at the beginning of theyear, and features a couple of members of "Danu" as well. Best playing of Scottish music on whistle I've heard in years, and her singing is superb, too.
BigDavy

Scottish Whistling

Post by BigDavy »

Hi kenny

Nothing but the truth your playing is s**t hot. Especially your strathpeys and airs.

Why don't you post a set of strathspeys on the flute on clips and snips and/or a nice slow air and show them how it should be done.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Craig's blog wrote:Read <a href="http://www.asaplive.com/FARNE/Learn.cfm ... =605">this article</a> for a discussion of the history of flutes and whistles in Scottish music. Particularly interesting for me was the section on Billy Conroy
Before you interview the Tannies, Craig, you ought to realize that Northumberland is not currently part of Scotland. (If it were, it would be southeast, not northeast, so the website you link to would not be "FARNE" but "FARSE" ;) ).
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

StevieJ wrote:...Northumberland is not currently part of Scotland...
Thanks; I fixed that line. I also hadn't realized that the Northumbrian smallpipe and Scottish smallpipe were different instruments. This article explains the difference for anyone who is interested.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

If you do get a chance to talk to Phil, ask if he has any advice or playing tips for newb Scots-tradition fluters. All two of us :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.