Better than Harry Potter 6

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

jsluder wrote:
I've found that nearly every location has its own charm, even without large mountains. And from the photos you've posted at various times, it's obvious that you're blessed with an abundance of natural beauty where you live.
Cheers,
John
Ofcourse I am not complaining at all, having lived most of my life in a city I can relate to the feeling you get looking out of the window and not believing what you see is real. And we do have some nice spots within easy reach, from small seacliffs a few miles away for a quick evening stroll:

to the Cliffs of Moher, less than ten miles away for watching the sun set on a nice evening or a walk along the edge:

Or a good hillwalk up around the Burren, this is around Fanore, fifteen to twenty miles north from here:

For anything approaching mountains though we have to go down to Kerry, here the Gap of Dunloe, a couple of weeks ago on a trip t oKillarney before the main tourist wave:

Obviously I get my share of scenery. And I appreciate more than I can tell you but the only snowcapped mountains I get to see are maybe the Connamara mountains in the distance on the odd frosty morning when I take my son to school during the winter (that view from the school makes the day though). I envy you a bit for it and enjoyed the pic you posted.

(I have been running riot with my new digital camera these past few months, will be returning to the old B&W soon now)
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Peter Laban wrote:(I have been running riot with my new digital camera these past few months, will be returning to the old B&W soon now)
Ah, Peter please don't! We're loving the pictures, keep 'em coming.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I can't go for that new-fangled digital camera stuff. The greatest classical photographers in history used the daguerreotype and that's good enough for me. ;)

Seriously, though..nice pictures, you guys. I'd love to live in a place with such scenery.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wanderer wrote: I'd love to live in a place with such scenery.
Don't worry, you seem to fit in quite well where you are

I think the ease of use and the quality (especially the colours) of the digital stuff is briliant. Some subjects are much nicer the old way, can't beat the texture of a B&W film image.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Peter Laban wrote:
Wanderer wrote: I'd love to live in a place with such scenery.
Don't worry, you seem to fit in quite well where you are

I think the ease of use and the quality (especially the colours) of the digital stuff is briliant. Some subjects are much nicer the old way, can't beat the texture of a B&W film image.
I'm a pro photographer with a digital SLR setup and everything, but my favorite way to shoot is with an old-school needle match SLR and Illford HP-5 black and white film.

(edited for spelling)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I can not imagine doing a shot like this in colour (it was bad enough I couldn't make it work without the flash):

or this:

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Peter Laban wrote:I can not imagine doing a shot like this in colour (it was bad enough I couldn't make it work without the flash):

or this:

I personally prefer not to use a flash at all when I shoot people. I like to capture the image as I saw it.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

So do I but in that case there just wasn't anything to work with and nothing to change it in mid-film on that occasion either.
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Man, there are two things I really, really miss about Danish nature.

The first is mountains. I love mountains, but the highest point in Denmark is about 500', which doesn't really represent much of an obstacle. It doesn't have to be particularly high mountains though. The British Isles kind of hills is more than enough for me.

(Incidentally, the second kind of nature I miss is deserts. What I wouldn't give for a couple thousand square miles of nice, hot, sandy desert)! :)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Peter Laban wrote:So do I but in that case there just wasn't anything to work with and nothing to change it in mid-film on that occasion either.
s'ok
you can hardly tell you used it. its a great photo either way.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Wanderer wrote:I'd love to live in a place with such scenery.
That's how I felt for the 4 years I lived in Plano, TX. Since moving to the Pacific Northwest, I find that I really do love living in a place with such scenery! :D

Peter, you're scenic shots are really giving me the itch to see Ireland. (Not that it takes much to give me that particular itch...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I.D.10-t wrote:Man could you imagine reading Harry Potter while you were up there?
:lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Man could you imagine reading Harry Potter while you were up there?
:lol:
Sure!

Imagine it, wouldn't do it. Read=chair w/light, mountain=walk, flute, 'splore...