Meaningless, meaningless - everything is meaningless

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Like when I try to think of something I come up empty-handed.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Like, really?
:wink:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

For sure, dudette.

[Now I think all of those words mean something actually. For sure=yes, dudette=slang term for woman]
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Grim, honey, there is more to life than meaningless phrasing . . .

This is your signature:

(Names Mark btw)

This is your signature with correct punctuation:

(Name's Mark btw)
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

y'know

Y'know, I used to, y'know, say "y'know," y'know, all the, y'know, time, y'know?
Charlene
perrins57

Re: Meaningless, meaningless - everything is meaningless

Post by perrins57 »

Lambchop wrote:
perrins57 wrote:I posted this in response to a different thread

"Anybody know the origin of the phrase "for sure". It seems to be added to the end of a sentence with increasing regularity, without so far as I can tell, actually meaning anything, for sure. In particular, it seems that mainland European Moto GP riders cannot complete a sentence without "for sure" on the end.
It rivals "at the end of the day" for meaningless phrases in popular use. Nobody seems to do, or mean, anything at the beginning of a day?"

Got any good examples of meaningless sayings or expressions in common use?

Like those? :)

Mint Sauce!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Adding "actually!" to the end of a sentence when correcting somebody.

Or the Chandler-esque habit of emphasising unimportant words in a sentence, could that be any more annoying.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Whatever.

(That one really gets my goat. 'Whatever' means "Anything which" but of course the gormless teenage knuckle-draggers with their vocabularies barely into double figures shouldn't be expected to know that. It's not as if the state uses taxpayers' money for an education system or anything).
:x

Oh I think I need more coffee.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Some people add "right?" to the end of their sentences. I hate it, especially when they are telling me about something that happened to them. How am *I* supposed to know if it's right or not?
scottielvr wrote:...and of course one of the most meaningless things one can say is, "How are you?" It's socially unacceptable to answer that question truthfully, so all the appropriate responses are meaningless, too. "Pretty good." "Can't complain." "Fine, and you?"
The British equivalent of that one is "You all right?" or simply "All right?" (you may have run across it in the Harry Potter books..) I have enormous trouble with that one. I keep thinking they're asking if I'm about to be sick or something.
GaryKelly wrote:Whatever.

(That one really gets my goat. 'Whatever' means "Anything which" but of course the gormless teenage knuckle-draggers with their vocabularies barely into double figures shouldn't be expected to know that. It's not as if the state uses taxpayers' money for an education system or anything).
Gary, I think that one started through the use of "whatever" as the answer to a question, i.e. not caring what the outcome is. "Would you like bacon or sausage?" "Oh, whatever."

The teenage usage thus becomes "I couldn't care less." which is then transmitted across to represent their opinion of the speaker.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

perrins57 wrote:
Mint Sauce!

:really:

I notice that you failed to correct the punctuation in your signature.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity. What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose. The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits. All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again. All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us. There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

--Ecclesiastes
Reasonable person
Walden
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

ALL the colours in ALL the sizes!!!

I guess that's about the size and shape of it...

Oy...!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Balderdash, "oy" is quite meaningful.

How about "hair cut while you wait"?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

djm wrote:Could be worse. You could be one of those guys with a cellphone stuck to the side of your head yelling, "Whuzza?"

djm
http://www.ariete.net/freetime/funnymovies_bud_esp.html
:party:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:
perrins57 wrote:I posted this in response to a different thread

"Anybody know the origin of the phrase "for sure". It seems to be added to the end of a sentence with increasing regularity, without so far as I can tell, actually meaning anything, for sure. In particular, it seems that mainland European Moto GP riders cannot complete a sentence without "for sure" on the end.
It rivals "at the end of the day" for meaningless phrases in popular use. Nobody seems to do, or mean, anything at the beginning of a day?"

Got any good examples of meaningless sayings or expressions in common use?
Like those? :)

I wouldn't dismiss "common use". We may spend too much time worrying about meaningless phrases from the 15th century. Right? Ya know?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm