Television Irony

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Television Irony

Post by avanutria »

There's a commercial for hearing aids on tv right now, but the sound keeps cutting out.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Are you sure Beth? Have you checked if anyone else can hear it OK?
Buy, Buy, Buy. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Television Irony

Post by Walden »

avanutria wrote:There's a commercial for hearing aids on tv right now, but the sound keeps cutting out.
Marketing studies show that hearing aid commercials with sound that cuts out are 14% more effective than ones with quality sound. :D
Reasonable person
Walden
mikk

Post by mikk »

Pardon.....
I can expect the situation to improve not worsen !!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Sure, why not cut out the sound, that way some viewers will have doubts about their own hearing, then run out and get a hearing test, to see if they need a hearing aid. Good trick, good marketing!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It might have been more effective if the picture hadn't been cutting out as well.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

avanutria wrote:It might have been more effective if the picture hadn't been cutting out as well.
Do we have an optician on the board? :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The ultimate in television irony is that people who are registered blind only have to pay half the fee for a television license:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/blind.jsp

money-grubbing weasels... :x

Edited to add: It's the TV Licensing ba*stards who are the money-grubbing weasels (they're weasels employed by the BBC to extort money out of people whether they need a license or not) ... not registered blind people... (just in case anyone got the wrong end of the stick).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

In the US we don't have to have a TV license, but lots of people subscribe to either cable or a satellite dish network. I have a friend who is blind who has a dish, and he has to pay full price. I think he should get it for half price since he's not using the video!
Charlene
djm

Post by djm »

There are some real gems coming out for tv ads right now. Unfortunately, many are edited or banned outright here. Many commercials from Quebec have explicit sexual overtones that we are not allowed to receive in the rest of Canada. Fortunately, there's the internet. Lots of people are forwarding some very funny commercials via email.

One that was banned by Fox in the US, is for a Canadian beer that extols its virtues as being the one to reach for for refreshment when chasing beaver (the beaver is one of Canada's totems). It is filled with an office that has live beavers all over the place, on the floors, the desks, in the bookcases, etc.

One I received from Europe is for the VW Polo. It shows a smartly dressed guy pulling up into a crowded European market, with busy outdoor cafes, etc. The camera angle changes to the windscreen, where we can see the driver pull out a triggering device. Its a bomb, of course. He presses the trigger. The camera angle changes to the side of the car, where we can see the flames of the blast fill and rock the car, but they are contained within the car. The caption comes up, "VW Polo - tougher than it looks." ROTFLMAO! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:One I received from Europe is for the VW Polo. It shows a smartly dressed guy pulling up into a crowded European market, with busy outdoor cafes, etc. The camera angle changes to the windscreen, where we can see the driver pull out a triggering device. Its a bomb, of course. He presses the trigger. The camera angle changes to the side of the car, where we can see the flames of the blast fill and rock the car, but they are contained within the car. The caption comes up, "VW Polo - tougher than it looks." ROTFLMAO! :lol:
I thought I heard that VW sued someone over that "commercial" being released, claiming it was unauthorized.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Charlene wrote:In the US we don't have to have a TV license, but lots of people subscribe to either cable or a satellite dish network. I have a friend who is blind who has a dish, and he has to pay full price. I think he should get it for half price since he's not using the video!
As I recall, one of the selling points for cable was no commercials. People weren't about to "pay" to watch TV when their antenna worked just fine.
Of course now we pay out the nose for 400 channels of nothing AND 20 minutes of commercials per hour.

I wouldn't have it if my wife wasn't a TV nut.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I dunno, I have a friend who got a fancy new HD TeeVee. For some reason, he had to put up an antenna on his roof to pick up the local broadcasts. So now he has a satellite dish and an antenna hooked to his chimney. Full circle.
Last edited by The Weekenders on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
djm

Post by djm »

Maybe he's too cheap to pay his cable/satelite provider for the receiver upgrade required to pull in the HD signals.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote:As I recall, one of the selling points for cable was no commercials. People weren't about to "pay" to watch TV when their antenna worked just fine.
Of course now we pay out the nose for 400 channels of nothing AND 20 minutes of commercials per hour.

I wouldn't have it if my wife wasn't a TV nut.
As far back as I can remember basic cable had commercials, and it was "pay channels" such as HBO that did not have commercial advertising, though, the earliest cable we had was only local stations and WTBS. In cases such as that, the selling point was that we were too far away from major population centers to receive a clear signal otherwise. Presently, we can get twelve local stations, by antenna (7 commercial networks, 2 state-owned educational stations, and 3 religious networks), besides stations that we also get from Kansas, Arkansas, or Missouri.

As I understand it, in some major cities cable is also about the only option, for television, due to interference in broadcast signals.
Reasonable person
Walden