Hurricane Dennis

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lambchop wrote:
Yes. Unfortunately, this "Dennis" isn't going to have any of The Menace's delightful joy.

I hope all you guys up there have made preparations for staying safe! I'd be moving inland as far as Kentucky, I believe.

Hmmm . . . perhaps we should organize a C&F Hurricane Party!
You folks on Pinellas aren't out of the trouble yet. The tornado warnings are popping up along its coast as well as in the counties south and east of you. Hang in there!

Hurricane party... hmmmmm... sounds like fun, sick, but fun nonetheless. :D
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I'm really worried about this one. Hurricane Frederick, which was only a Category 3 when it hit Mobile Bay, completely devastated that area. We were in the Florida Panhandle and the Alabama coast in early July and we were stunned to see how much they were still recovering from Ivan. In a town called Perdido, I drove through the resort area and there were still huge piles of debris on both sides of the beach road and about a zillion construction projects going on.

Probably what we'll get here in Birmingham: tons of rain, some high winds, and some power outages. We'll have to see which way it turns. But, I'm really worried about all the people South of here.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Both my sisters and my mom seem to be in the path of at least part of this one.

Middle sister Barbara is hunkered down in the ICU of her hospital in the Florida panhandle (she's the unit's director).

Youngest sister Nancy is in Atlanta, already in some rain yesterday.

Mom's in Fort Payne, in the northeast corner of Alabama and about a 2-hour drive northeast of Chiff and Fipple HQ. It's in a hilly part of the state next to the Lookout Mountain ridge that runs down from Chattanooga. Tornados show up from time to time, but its not much prone to flooding.

Barb got through Ivan with just a little roof damage. When she called yesterday to tell us where she was, she said one of the first rain bands sent a lightning strike down to someone's 35-foot cruiser. It burned to the waterline. One boat gone and the hurricane hadn't even gotten there yet!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:You folks on Pinellas aren't out of the trouble yet. The tornado warnings are popping up along its coast as well as in the counties south and east of you. Hang in there!

Hurricane party... hmmmmm... sounds like fun, sick, but fun nonetheless. :D
You're right, Joseph! The warnings just woke me up.

It's 82 (28 C), feels like 90 (32), with 85% humidity. Winds are 33 mph gusting to 54. It is gray and overcast, with light to heavy rain.

The storm surge is noticeable today! It is currently LOW tide and the water is to the top of the seawall (should be a 5 feet or 1.5 m below) with the tops of waves washing over it. Pieces of what used to be someone's dock just floated by.

If you look at the beach cam at the Tradewinds (about 2 miles west of me--I can see the front of the hotel from my windows), the beach should be about 50% wider than it is (this morning, anyway--high tide will be at 2 p.m.). That dark green stuff on the beach is sea grass ripped up by the storm and washed ashore. Looks like grass behind the hotel, but it isn't--it's flotsam. From the location of it, you can see where the tide was last night--nearly right up to the back door of the hotel.

http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html
Joseph E. Smith

DaleWisely wrote:

Probably what we'll get here in Birmingham: tons of rain, some high winds, and some power outages. We'll have to see which way it turns. But, I'm really worried about all the people South of here.
Yes, they are still digging out and rebuilding from Ivan last year, and now it looks as though they're going to get slammed again. My thoughts are with them, Daleforce 1 and everyone in the path of this storm... Be safe, be sheltered and be strong.
Lambchop wrote:
You're right, Joseph! The warnings just woke me up. http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html
If you click on the link you provided, and then scroll down to the Haines City cam, I live roughly 7 miles north of that intersection. Nothing out of the ordinary here... yet.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:

Yes, they are still digging out and rebuilding from Ivan last year, and now it looks as though they're going to get slammed again. My thoughts are with them, Daleforce 1 and everyone in the path of this storm... Be safe, be sheltered and be strong.
It takes a lot longer to rebuild than people think. There just aren't enough contractors to go around, and even with insurance, people are financially devastated.

It's so depressing.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I'm glad you guys are still okay. It sounds awful scary. I just didn't know that tornadoes spun off of hurricanes---although it makes perfect sense. But since you don't have basements---oh dear. Hoping for the best for everyone down there. I looked at the webcams----spooky.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

The Weather Channel says it's back up to a Catagory 4. Hope everyone comes through okay.
Charlene
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Mrs Undisputed and I are fine so far. We're going to get wind and rain tonight and are still in the zone that may get hurricane-force winds during the night. Power will almost certainly go out.

In the meantime, keep my mother in your prayers. She lives in Arkansas, where I grew up. My brother just called to say she is in the ER with abdominal pain and low blood pressure. They're talking surgery. She's 80.

It'll be interesting if I have to go over there.

Yikes.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, it won't help your mom if your drive over downed power lines or have a tree fall on you! So don't do anything crazy. Don't add to the problems. [Yes, we discussed this before, I have a husband :roll: ] I do wish your mother the very best.
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

even if y'all did have basements, if you went into them you'd drown from the high water, wouldn't you?

keep safe, all you in the path of the storm. i'm sorry he upgraded himself back to a 4. that was cheating! keep us posted . . .
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

DaleWisely wrote:In the meantime, keep my mother in your prayers. She lives in Arkansas, where I grew up. My brother just called to say she is in the ER with abdominal pain and low blood pressure. They're talking surgery. She's 80.
Will do. My great grandmother had knee surgery a while back, and she's in her nineties.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

DaleWisely wrote:
It'll be interesting if I have to go over there.

Yikes.
I am with Cynth on this one, it would be better (for you and your mom) if you didn't go out in this mess tonight.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

scarhand wrote:even if y'all did have basements, if you went into them you'd drown from the high water, wouldn't you?
That's the problem in Oklahoma. So many severe storms and tornadoes, but basements and cellars aren't extremely common because there is so much ground water.
Reasonable person
Walden
Whistling Pops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistling Pops »

DaleWisely wrote:
jbarter wrote:When is it due to get to you Dale?
Sunday night/Monday morning. We'll likely have power outages. The last one put us in the dark for 5 days.

Dale
Dale,

How close are you to North Port? I have to go there Tuesday. :o