What is a Good Number of Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

As a newbie, I have collected a handful of whistles (Clarke original C, Clarke original D, Walton D, Sweetone D, Sweetone C, Feadog, LBW) simply because I read various threads discussing the merits of each and decided to decide for myself. I currently practice on the Feadog and a Hoover whitecap on a Feadog tube. (OK, OK, I liked the Feadog so much I got a second as a spare). I keep the others because I don't have any significant cash invested in them and they look cool sitting in the jar on my desk. I also just bought an O'Brien Rover from the recent tour and am having a great time learning to get the most out of a higher end instrument. I think that will be my primary instrument for a while, but I'm probably not done acquiring whistles.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Until fathers day the right number was a few on my desk, one in my car, a couple carefully wrapped in their cases by the Low D.

Then I wandered into a "music store" after a great traditional Korean lunch with my son. I asked "Do you have any Irish Whistles?" The fellow gave me a puzzled look, then said "Oh yah! we have some Tin Whistles." He turned around a rummaged about amongst some rubbish.

They had a dirty Yamaha Recorder and a handful of Generations clanking about in a plastic tray on the shelf on the back wall. I looked at the poor neglected - a little dirty, a little dented - treasures and asked "How much?" He said US$8.00 each. I asked "Even the dented ones?" He replied "maybe US$5.00 if it's dented."

There were 5 in D, 2 Eb, and 1 F, mixed color fipples and both brass and chromed bodies. I thought there must be at least one decent D, the Eb and F are good for a chuckle, and I could always pick up a Hoover White Cap. What the heck, it's father's day and I'm a father. I said US$6.00 each for all eight. He said "you got it!"

So I nearly doubled my whistle ownership in one day. I'm keeping 4, I think 2 Ds for the car and desk, 1 Eb, and the F - or maybe I could ask Jerry Freeman to tweak a couple, or what about that Mack Hoover Whitecap, or maybe Jerry can tweak a couple and I can get a White Cap from Mack. :-?

Oh Holy Cow!................................ :roll:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I started playing in February (Susato set of Eb, D, C and a Jerry-tweaked Sweetone). I slowly (and not so slowly) added others, including a few low whistles of various keys. I've played consistently everyday. I probably could have gotten by with the first whistles I had, but having different whistles and different keys has helped me be more aware of things like breath control, responsiveness, and so on. That, and the fact that I like trying a piece out with different whistles, or different keys, has made playing even more interesting and satisfying. In some sense I don't need all the whistles I have, but it is nice to have them.
Keith
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

Zero, at most one.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Let's see, most of my whistles left the nest last summer. I have:

Key of A: Dixon
Key of high D: two Laughings, 2-piece Doolin, Hoover-whitecapped Feadog
Key of high Eb:Hoover whitecapped nickel Gen
Key of high F: Jerry-tweaked nickel Gen

I also have two O'Brien Rovers which arrived on a tour yesterday, they are three-piece copper D whistles. One is nickel plated and the other is plain copper.

I like multi-piece whistles :D

These days I'm in more danger of increasing my number of concertinas. But I still can play more concertina tunes than the number of concertinas I own, so it's okay. ;)
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

:D
I don't think you can have too many whistles. Can you have too many flowers in your garden? Or too many birds at the feeder? Too many hugs or kisses from your wife (husband) and or children?
Whistles are simply delightful instruments; to play, to hold, and to look at.
(And they are relatively cheap!) :) As I keep telling my wife.

There are so many possibilities! So many good craftsmen, and good materials and good sounds.

I don't really have that many, since I've only been playing for about a year and a half, but I currently own:
Mostly D's.

Greenwood in Blackwood. (Beautiful)
Burke black tipped in Brass. (so mellow)
Humphrey wide bore. (Fantastic)
Hoover narrow bore. (So quietly sweet)
Two Hoover white caps on Oak tubes.
My first , which I'll keep forever; a Sweetone tweaked by Jerry.
A couple of Generations and a "Little Black whistle."
A Chieftan Eb
A Elfsong brass in F. (it is sooo high!)
A Susato in D
And my newest acquistion, a Thin Weasel low G in Camotillo. (Takes my breath away)
And I want...
A Rosewood; an Abell; a Bleasey; an Alba; a Busman; another Greenwod and a couple more Humphreys just to sort of round things out.

You can never have too many whistles, unless your mood never changes. (And mine does daily!) :boggle:

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
slowair

Post by slowair »

The correct number is 8.

Now you figure out what they are. :boggle:

Mike
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I was, at one point, a WhOA sufferer, but now I own one flute and one whistle, learn a new tune every week or two, and play better than I ever did when I was buying/selling whistles on a whim. How many one needs depends on what they're needed for...I don't quite understand having more than one needs/plays regularly.
Last edited by tin tin on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Why hasn't anybody given the obvious answer? How many whistles you need depends on what you need them for. Do you play high and low whistles? Do you only play Irish music? Do you accompany singers and might you be asked to do so in any key? Do you like only pure whistles, only chiffy whistles or both?

If, like me, you answer no to the question about Irish music, both to the last question, and yes to all the others, then you'll need quite a few or, at any rate, you'll want quite a few.

I have more whistles than I really need in all the common keys. I could get by with an Overton or Copeland for raspiness and a Burke or Sindt for purity in each key. But it's fun to have more to choose from. It would probably make more sense for me to sell off the whistles and flutes I don't really need and put the money towards another button box or bouzouki but what the heck.
tjs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Dreaming

Post by tjs »

My answer to how many whistles is not enough Burkes. I have Burkes in high Bb, C and D. I also have Susatos in the same keys. Actually thinking of selling the Susatos.

I also have a Burke low D Viper. Next, over time, will come Burke low whistles in A, G, F, and Eb, all aluminum.

I simply play for the joy of playing.

tom
tjs