Greatest American: Results are in.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

I.D.10-t wrote:
izzarina wrote: ooooo...does this mean we can finally break out the tin foil hats? :D
Do you have one for each of your kids?

Looks like a baked potato. It even has eyes.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
izzarina wrote: ooooo...does this mean we can finally break out the tin foil hats? :D
Do you have one for each of your kids?

Looks like a baked potato. It even has eyes.
:twisted: I don't have those! I may have to go out and get me a few. :lol:

And now I'm craving baked potatoes. :roll:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Naw, having double-digit families doesn't make a mom do loony things, not at all! :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

The Weekenders wrote:my government tells me he is the only individual worth honoring by name for a Federal holiday.
Weeks: As always, there's much to disagree on, but we can save that for another day. Worry not - the real "W" makes the list, as does C Columbus.

2005 Federal Holidays
Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the following public holidays for Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday).

Friday, December 31, 2004 * New Year's Day
Monday, January 17 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 21 Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 30 Memorial Day
Monday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 5 Labor Day
Monday, October 10 Columbus Day
Friday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 24 Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 26 ** Christmas Day

* January 1, 2005 (the legal public holiday for New Years Day) falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, December 31, 2004, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. It does not matter that December 31, 2004 is in the prior calendar year. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)

Inauguration Day, January 20, 2005, falls on a Thursday. An employee who works in the District of Columbia, Montgomery or Prince George's Counties in Maryland, Arlington or Fairfax Counties in Virginia, or the cities of Alexandria or Falls Church in Virginia, and who is regularly scheduled to perform non-overtime work on Inauguration Day, is entitled to a holiday. There is no in-lieu-of holiday for employees who are not regularly scheduled to work on Inauguration Day.

This holiday is designated as "Washington's Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

** December 25, 2005, ( the legal public holiday for Christmas Day) falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, December 26, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See Executive Order 11582 of February 11, 1971.)

http://www.opm.gov/fedhol/2005.asp
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

The Weekenders wrote:Naw, having double-digit families doesn't make a mom do loony things, not at all! :lol:
Oh come on, Weeks...you mean to tell me that you really think that dressing your infant up like a baked potato is loony? Just think of what you are protecting them from. After all, Big Brother IS watching! I feel so much safer knowing that the thought rays are bouncing off them in their baked potato suits.

:wink:

:lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hm... well, you could be goin' to the casting call for the next Flash Gordon remake. You might need a purple wig for the tyke tho.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

dwinterfield wrote: 2005 Federal Holidays
Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the following public holidays for Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday).

* January 1, 2005 (the legal public holiday for New Years Day) falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, December 31, 2004, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. It does not matter that December 31, 2004 is in the prior calendar year. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)

Inauguration Day, January 20, 2005, falls on a Thursday. An employee who works in the District of Columbia, Montgomery or Prince George's Counties in Maryland, Arlington or Fairfax Counties in Virginia, or the cities of Alexandria or Falls Church in Virginia, and who is regularly scheduled to perform non-overtime work on Inauguration Day, is entitled to a holiday. There is no in-lieu-of holiday for employees who are not regularly scheduled to work on Inauguration Day.

This holiday is designated as "Washington's Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

** December 25, 2005, ( the legal public holiday for Christmas Day) falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, December 26, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See Executive Order 11582 of February 11, 1971.)

It's funny because the US Postal Service signs says "President's Day" as do most other institutions. I wonder if this was re-written in or something.

As for holidays and acknowledgements, I have long felt that there should be a true Native American day that honors great leaders like Cornstalk, Pontiac, Sequoyah, Chief Joseph and others. And not as some way of snubbin' Columbus but a separate kind of acknowledgement.

My idea would be to focus on each individuals annually, announce who will be the person on a given year, print up stamps, prepare curriculum packets for schools etc. Like MLK Day, I personally believe that these should be days of education, more than days to shop or go drunk boating; that kids should be IN SCHOOL, learning about and honoring these figures of our history.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

The Weekenders wrote:
dwinterfield wrote: 2005 Federal Holidays

It's funny because the US Postal Service signs says "President's Day" as do most other institutions. I wonder if this was re-written in or something.

As for holidays and acknowledgements, I have long felt that there should be a true Native American day that honors great leaders like Cornstalk, Pontiac, Sequoyah, Chief Joseph and others. And not as some way of snubbin' Columbus but a separate kind of acknowledgement.
"A day which originally was set to honor George Washington on his birthday in his last year of office on February 11th (but marked as February 22 later.) To pay honor to this first and revered President, this became an observance each year.

Later, Abraham Lincoln, also equally revered and born on February 12th, was also included in the celebration which merged into President's Day and was observed on the third Monday of February. On the books, the day is still officially called Washington's Day, but popularly this day is set aside to honor all who have served as President."

http://www.information-entertainment.co ... esday.html

We get to thank Richard Nixon (not on the list) for taking away the Lincoln's Birthday Holiday. He probably did it with an Executive Order, changing the holiday, but not the law.

I agree about a day to honor Native Americans. I live near Plymouth and Native Americans pay special attention to that holiday, but I don't think "celebrate" is the right word.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

We were in Plymouth twice last month, Wint. Wished I known you were so close.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The Weekenders wrote:Hm... well, you could be goin' to the casting call for the next Flash Gordon remake. You might need a purple wig for the tyke tho.
For that she would need a tinfoil suit!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I.D.10-t wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Hm... well, you could be goin' to the casting call for the next Flash Gordon remake. You might need a purple wig for the tyke tho.
woo HOO!!! That outfit totally rocks! :lol: And those boots....I just don't know what else to say :wink:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Way to go, Id!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

izzarina wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
woo HOO!!! That outfit totally rocks! :lol: And those boots....I just don't know what else to say :wink:
Hmmm... seems she's rebounded from Austin...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com