Explosions in London

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

Keep us up to date on here.

The Beeb homepage is slow as hell.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Sound bites from Blair's speech, fast as I could type them:

it's reasonably clear that there have been a series of terrorist attacks in london

Blair is leaving G8 in a few hours to go down to London, and then returning to G8 in the evening, but the G8 meetings will continue in his absence.

it's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems in africa and the environment

reasonably apparent that this has been timed to coincide with the opening of the G8

it is important that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to bring extremism to the world

They will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilised nations around the world.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Radio announcement by Tony Blair:

He's leaving the G8 summit to come down to London and get first hand reports of the events, and will return tonight. The summit will continue in his absense.

He surmises that the attacks are timed to interfere with the G8 Summit.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

avanutria wrote:Sound bites from Blair's speech, fast as I could type them:

it's reasonably clear that there have been a series of terrorist attacks in london

Blair is leaving G8 in a few hours to go down to London, and then returning to G8 in the evening, but the G8 meetings will continue in his absence.

it's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems in africa and the environment

reasonably apparent that this has been timed to coincide with the opening of the G8

it is important that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to bring extremism to the world

They will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilised nations around the world.
Damn straight Beth... I mean Blair.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
mukade

Post by mukade »

Thanks.

I managed to get the BBC live net feed.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Emergency services spokesman confirms explosion on bus in tavistock square, but not the cause. There is currently a rescue operation in a tunnel at king's cross. Casualty figures cannot be confirmed at this time. All underground lines and national rail lines into London are closed. Advises people not to travel in London at the moment.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Flyingcursor wrote:Damn straight Beth.
You mean "Damn straight Blair." ...I was just the reporter.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Re Swindon Station: "Multiple suspect packages."
At the moment the feeling is they're rightly erring on the side of caution, since Swindon is a major line signalling facility. Shutting the station has effectively shut down western mainline rail travel to and from London.

The east mainline is of course already closed. Word from Brighton is another "suspect package", but of course that closure has crippled southern line rail routes too. London's cut off, by rail at least.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Good grief...they're showing a new pic of the bombed bus, from the front. The roof is bent in a U shape lengthwise and lying in front of the bus. The side panel is bent halfway off starting at the back. Looked like half of the top level seats were gone...

It's a slightly higher angle on this picture, shown earlier:

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Swindon update (radio report): Other buildings near the railway station have just been evacuated. A great deal of police activity, and two fire engines just rushed to the Station.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

holy hell....am glad you chiffers are all fine!
:(
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Swindon update (local radio report): "A controlled explosion has been successfully carried out on a device on a train in Swindon station."
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Thanks for all the updates. This is a sad day for everyone. It does feel like 9/11. The awlful uncertainty of being in an urban place and wondering - was it just there? will it be here too? I'm guessing the train ride home tonight in Boston will be tense.
Be careful and stay safe.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I'm so glad that you all are ok....anyone find anything about Redwolf? Please be safe, everyone!
Thank you all for keeping us posted as well....my husband was telling me that a couple of people were killed, and I told him what Beth had said. It seems that our coverage is not very good (not that it surprises me).
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

GaryKelly wrote:Swindon update (local radio report): "A controlled explosion has been successfully carried out on a device on a train in Swindon station."
Radio's just confirmed that the Swindon 'suspect device' was aboard the Bristol to Paddington train. No-one hurt, thank God.