Fake Accents

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Walden wrote:The online equivalent is Americans who use U.K. spellings.
Sorry. Didn't mean to criticise. Just a feeble attempt at humour. :oops:
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:Sorry. Didn't mean to criticise. Just a feeble attempt at humour.
Wot!

'lucky if I can spel et al moz daz?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Well, I can only speak for myself, and I believe it is based on having had parents who not only spoke British English, but Spanish, Chinese and a bit of French, and moving from one section of the country to another every few years in the US, but I have what is generously called an 'elastic' accent... it depends on what I hear around me... LOL!

I have a genuine (that's genn-you-eye-n) coon-arse Cajun friend who pulls me into the sweet twang whenever we're together. It's got to be funny to hear, as it certainly gets me giggling when I catch myself. I'm pretty much at home language wise whereever I've been.

I do not do so to impress anyone, though, because I don't think it is impressive at all, just natural... for me. I've been exposed to all sorts of languages all through my 52 (come Friday!) years, so I think I've earned some right to speak as I speak... however, whenever, with whomever that is.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

It always amazes me when I see "British English".
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

GaryKelly wrote:It always amazes me when I see "British English".
Well, if you've heard some of the "American English", you might not find the distinction so surprizing... there is a BIG difference! And I didn't invent the term, LOL!... It's been used for many decades, far more than I've been around. An earlier version would be "the Queen's English"
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

I find it a bit laughable that there is this tendancy to dismiss anyone's heritage unless they stayed in the same spot throughout their life. Not as many people actually do that anymore, in case nobody noticed. I find it interesting that there is such an aversion to giving creedance to the lives, accents, playing styles, joke bank, etc. of anyone who isn't on the soil they were born on or that their parents/ancestors came from. My location (or yours) doesn't negate my heritage.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

There's really no US "southern accent" as TV would have one believe. There are many "southern" accents. Two of my favorites are the East Kentucky accent Missy spoke of and what I call the Virginia Blue Blood accent which consists mostly of ignoring the letter "R" and moving your lips as little as possible.

I'm also fond of the North West Minnesota accent as popularized by the movie "Fargo".

When I was about 12 we lived in Texas for a couple years. My sister and I picked up the accent unknowingly. When we moved back to Michigan all our relatives laughed at the way we talked.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Fishie wrote:Being from Boston, my accent is far too bizarre to get away from. Sometimes I'll make more of an effort to pronounce my 'r's, but that's about it.

Of course, living with an Irish woman, I'm picking up some strange phrases, and using words like "lovely" and "grand".

:o
Like Fishie, I use the word "grand" quite a lot, and have done ever since my first trip to Ireland over (golly) ten years ago. It seems to carry the right spirit where "wonderful" "marvellous" "super" "splendid" etc are over the top, and "OK" "good" "fine" are a little too dry.

I'm not attempting to sound "Oirish" though. I can imitate various UK dialects (and a few continental ones) well enough to fool anyone not from that land, i.e. my Scottish accent wouldn't fool a Scot. My American accent wouldn't fool a toddler.

The danger in imitating accents is that the dialect is more than just the accent, but also the use of local turns of phrase, which are usually in a state of constant flux.

I suspect that we Chiffers as a group are better at imitation than the general populace (poor things), as it requires a musical ear.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Martin Milner wrote:The danger in imitating accents is that the dialect is more than just the accent, but also the use of local turns of phrase, which are usually in a state of constant flux.

I suspect that we Chiffers as a group are better at imitation than the general populace (poor things), as it requires a musical ear.
I don't have an accent at all, and never have, but we used to confuse the living daylights out of the Filipinos, when we lived over there, as most of them had thick accents.
Reasonable person
Walden
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Flyingcursor wrote:When I was about 12 we lived in Texas for a couple years. My sister and I picked up the accent unknowingly. When we moved back to Michigan all our relatives laughed at the way we talked.
:wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Flyingcursor wrote:... When I was about 12 we lived in Texas for a couple years. My sister and I picked up the accent unknowingly. When we moved back to Michigan all our relatives laughed at the way we talked.
Yeah... when I was twelve, we moved from the midwest to Maryland... I sounded funny (and looked it too, apparently) to the East Coasters, and a day or two later, upon calling friends back home, was asked why I sounded so funny to *them*! :lol: 'Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't' !
anniemcu
---
---
---
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flyingcursor wrote:I'm also fond of the North West Minnesota accent as popularized by the movie "Fargo".
Most of that was as others hear it, but it wasn't far off the mark. As in the South, Minnesota accents vary depending on the region, and some are thicker than others. To my ear, the only real-sounding Minnesota speech in the whole movie was from a character who was shoveling snow from his driveway. Maybe he was from Minneapolis. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

I was disappointed by the accents in "Fargo". Not a "Yumpin' Yimminy" amongst the lot. :evil:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:I was disappointed by the accents in "Fargo". Not a "Yumpin' Yimminy" amongst the lot. :evil:

djm
It's "yom-pin yim-miny", actually. Gotta stress the first syllable for that faux Nordique effect. And do you know, I actually say it sometimes? :lol: