On eBAY: Uilleann (Irish) pipes D chanter by Peter Hunter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenr »

As the man who posted some pictures of a Hunter chanter that I think is worth £800 plus as opposed to the price paid for the chanter on e-bay I think I need to respond to reedman.

Along with a lot of other people I think any chanter, set, or whatever should look the part as well as play the part - which my chanter certainly does on all counts. Reedman has no idea what my chanter sounds like so I take exception to his insinuation that a chanter with all the fancy keys and ivory sounds like sh*t coz it doesn't and all the bollocks about a hand rolled staple and specific slip size is also bollocks. The reed in that chanter was made by Dave Williams on a piece of standard 5mm OD brass tube and it plays perfectly in tune with no rush, no need for fancy cross fingering to get the back D or C nat in tune and it plays very easily up to top D.

My original comment was that this chanter is over-priced for what it is, and I stand by that view. Maybe Donncha Gough has more money than your average piper to spend on a Hunter - good luck to him, all I'm saying is he paid over the odds.

I apologise to the rest of the board for the uncharacteristic vitriol, it's been a long day and I'm happily pissed after a very enjoyable session.

Ken
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

It boils down to what you want and what you are prepared to pay for that.
I payed a lot more than that for a Leo Rowsome chanter last year. And I did so because I've wanted a Leo chanter forever, in fact, since i started piping. One came up for sale at a high price and I had the money at the time so, I bought it!
No regrets, I love the chanter and I love owning a Rowsome chanter.
Thats a big thing for me because I think Leo Rowsome was the BEST PIPER EVER so I'm proud to own a piece of his work.
Plus It sounds great!!!!
If you buy my new CD (which wont be out till Nov, you'll hear the Rowsome stick)
t
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tompipes wrote:It boils down to what you want and what you are prepared to pay for that.
I payed a lot more than that for a Leo Rowsome chanter last year. And I did so because I've wanted a Leo chanter forever, in fact, since i started piping. One came up for sale at a high price and I had the money at the time so, I bought it!
No regrets, I love the chanter and I love owning a Rowsome chanter.
Thats a big thing for me because I think Leo Rowsome was the BEST PIPER EVER so I'm proud to own a piece of his work.
Plus It sounds great!!!!
If you buy my new CD (which wont be out till Nov, you'll hear the Rowsome stick)
t
It is a wonderful sounding chanter, even more so when you can hear it in person. Tommy doesn't realize just how close I came to going over the edge and nipping it off of him... naw, just kidding. :D It is a great chanter.
No E

Post by No E »

tompipes wrote:...
t
Looking forward to that!

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Howaya Tommo,

Is that the Rowsome your playin gin the vid on the GNIPC website?

http://thegreatnorthernirishpipersclub. ... l2005.html

Gob Less,

Patrick.
reedman

Post by reedman »

May I say Kenr, if this hunter chanter plays fine with a piece of 5mm tubeing "it will be the only one" :-? I know Peter Hunter well" and all of his 14.50inch length chanters play only with a hand rolled staple, Davey Stevenson's concert D chanters are similar spec as the hunter,and his Concert chanters require the same reed spec, and as far as chanters and pipes looking the part, with ivory and fancy keys, get a grip guys, :( Cillian O'brien trims his sets with stained box wood mounts, his sets ain't all arty farty, that hunter chanter was worth every penny!, and also the hunter 14.1/2inch Ebony Concert D chanters all sound a like when they are reeded "RIGHT" :really: apart if one is made of blackwood, were the sound is a bit more strident, as the one Sean Potts plays on the Drones and the Chanters.
Maybe those who are happily pissed! talk bollocks. :shock:
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

reedman wrote:as the one Sean Potts plays on the Drones and the Chanters.:
Actually I find the tone on those particular tracks way too horrible....sounds like it's being played in a paint tin. Must just be the recording, what?
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

leremarkable wrote:Hunter chanter, bought by a piper/bodhran player in a well known Irish music group. An old leather flap from a bellows valve for the first person to guess who it is!
Did Djm ever get his bellows valve flap for winning :lol: :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

No, but I'll settle for private lessons. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Anybody else besides Babyface Larry Dunn own Hunter flat pipes? Those are sweet work. I know about the Ronan chanter, thank you. Ronan has two Harrington sets, right? Is the other in C? I think I've read that its original chanter is gone, too. Wooff's the only one with complete set of Harring tones. Or K. Rowsome too?
I have a very lo-fi recording of Sean Og, nothing but midrange, his pipes sound much less like some jumbo biniou kohz.
billh

Post by billh »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Anybody else besides Babyface Larry Dunn own Hunter flat pipes? Those are sweet work. I know about the Ronan chanter, thank you. Ronan has two Harrington sets, right? Is the other in C? I think I've read that its original chanter is gone, too. Wooff's the only one with complete set of Harring tones. Or K. Rowsome too?
I have a very lo-fi recording of Sean Og, nothing but midrange, his pipes sound much less like some jumbo biniou kohz.
Pretty sure Ronan's more recent B Harrington w/silver mounts is complete. The brass one might have been sharp of B originally, hard to know.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

In fact, Peter Hunter used many different D-designs from narrow-bore to "session-cracker". Depends on what you ordered, really. Mine for example also takes a 5 mm square-tube-staple (that you can buy in a shop). It is dead easy to reed and sounds "medium" loud.
Best,
Hans
Kevin L. Rietmann

Re: On eBAY: Uilleann (Irish) pipes D chanter by Peter Hunte

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Hans-Joerg wrote:In fact, Peter Hunter used many different D-designs from narrow-bore to "session-cracker". Depends on what you ordered, really. Mine for example also takes a 5 mm square-tube-staple (that you can buy in a shop). It is dead easy to reed and sounds "medium" loud.
Best,
Hans
Good man Peter! I take it then Sean Og has a "session-cracker"? Sounds that way, I heard about him going to Rogge to have the loudest D set in history made or something. Bellows blown pipe band, instead of the mini-warpipes. Duh...Ok!
"Square-tube"? You mean like this:

______
| |
| |
--------
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Yes, it is a brass tube of two metres length, a strength of 5 mm and a wall-thickness of 0,5 mm wich gives an inner diametre of 4 mm. You can get it in crafts-supermarkets. No handrolling necessary. Andreas also uses this design nowadays. I hope that some day it will become standard for concert pitch.
Best,
Hans
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

ausdag wrote:Actually I find the tone on those particular tracks way too horrible....sounds like it's being played in a paint tin. Must just be the recording, what?
I had a listen to the CD again this morning. I didn't find anything wrong with SP's tracks. However when Ronan Browne plays his Hunter chanter on the Old Bush, it seems to be somewhat drowned out by the regulators. It sounds fine with just the drones, though. It might just be the way it was recorded as the chanter/regs mix sounded fine on Port na bPucai.
PJ