Casey Burns flute(s) question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Random notes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Casey Burns flute(s) question

Post by Random notes »

I have had a CB Folk Flute (my first real musical instrument) for about 8 mos, and I know I'm nowhere near being limited by it.

Still, being of an acquisitive nature, I have only talked myself out of buying another flute with great difficulty and the debate renews every time something nice and reasonably priced comes up.

So I wonder if it pays to get a better instrument with a similarly undemanding embouchure, or should I wait until I have learned enough to step up to a more demanding(?) sophisticated(?) responsive(?) flute? Specifically, does it pay to upgrade to a better keyless CB flute if it is essentially the same instrument made of nicer wood with a tuning slide added (which is what Casey's website suggests)?

Or should I just continue to save up my pennies, practice more and worry less?

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I think that's entierly your decision. I can't see any harm in getting a more pro-flute right away provided that you know the flute is for you, but on the other hand you can't go wrong with more practice on the one you have.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Personally, I'd keep on praciticing for a bit longer unless you really know if you want a different sytle of flute (Pratten, R&R, etc.). The biggest factor in sound is you, not the flute (not counting those FLO sold on eBay from middle eastern countries).

Eric
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pratice and playing go togeather with any flute. Try to find some flutes you can try before buying. When you find one with better response you will know it right away. The tone of a flute will be personal preferance.
Sillydill

Flute Quest!

Post by Sillydill »

I think Tommy has hit the nail on the head!

In my personal flute odyssey, I've finally come to realize what I'm after is tone. This is not an easy quest, while you may like the way player XYZ sounds on flute ABC, you will sound different on flute ABC. So the quest is a very personal endeavor.

Now after exhausting my flute fund, I'm coming to realize, I may have initially obtained the best flute for me! Still there is comfort in gaining knowlege about different flutes and their attributes. Understanding the effects of the different attributes of each flute (bore shape and size, embouchure shape and size, tone hole sizes and configurations) can help to guide your choices.

Try as many different flutes as you can and if possible spend some quality time with them (get to know the flutes, as initial impressions can be misleading).

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR QUEST!

Jordan
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would say keep practicing until you have a reason besides you wanting one. It will save you money.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have never met a Burns pro flute that I liked as much as my Burns folk flute. He does more stuff to the embouchures of the more expensive flutes, and while it may add power, it does take away some sweetness.
~JessieD
phcook

Post by phcook »

Coming from Casey folk flute, I suppose you are looking for a flute over 700$; that's a lot of money, and there are many different high standard flutes; before buying, try to see/hear/test as many top notch flutes as you can (sessions, friends, makers, etc) until you find one that catch you for a long time. No hurry!

Best
Breizh soner
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Okay, I think I got it - learn to play the flute first. And be happy with the CB FF.

Fortunately, last week I got to meet Cathy W. and also ran into John Skelton both at the same session. (I think seeing those nice flutes fired up the flute lust in me.) It looks like with a little patience I will be able to try a few different flutes, and John agreed to take me on as a student this fall when his schedule eases up a bit.

So I guess I'll go practice. Once I'm done poking around C&F first, of course.

Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out.

Roger
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Random notes wrote: John agreed to take me on as a student this fall when his schedule eases up a bit.
I am sure that he will have an idea about the quality of your flute (if you let him play it or watches you play) and by the time you have taken a few tips and improve your playing, I think that you will know which instrument you want and will be able to decide (mostly) on your own.

(Or, at least that happened to me)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Random notes wrote:and John agreed to take me on as a student this fall when his schedule eases up a bit.
As acquisitive as I am, THIS will do more for you than any flute will. And, as ID said, after a few months you should have an idea what direction to go, and you can get on the list for a "big-kid" flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

One additional thought. If you're inclined to step up to a new flute from one of the well known, high-quality makers, you'll face a waiting list form 1 to 5, 6, 7 or more years. That being the case, even if you decide today and get on that maker's list (probably a deposit), you will months to years to improve with the folk flute.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

dwinterfield wrote:One additional thought. If you're inclined to step up to a new flute from one of the well known, high-quality makers, you'll face a waiting list form 1 to 5, 6, 7 or more years.
One year I can handle; two would be pushing it; 6 or 7 is right out. I understand that it is in the nature of the wood as well as the demands on the maker that require long lead times for the best flutes, but that kind of patience is for younger players. I don't want the package delivered to me c/o some nursing home so I can carry a flute on my lap as they wheel me back and forth to bingo and oldies singalongs.

Besdies, one has only to hang out here on C&F and perhaps a couple of other forums to see very nice flutes come on to the second hand market with some frequency. And it is possible to get a pretty good sense of the forum participants and how they are likey to care for their instruments. I would be wary of newbies who suddenly show up and have a flute to sell.

Roger
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I haven't tried a Casey Burns Folk Flute but my CB blackwood & silver is a delight to play. According to his web-site, Casey uses the same acoustical design on the Folk Flute as he does on his 3-piece Standard. My understanding is that he doesn't "dumb down" the design of the folk flute, but rather adds features to make his more expensive instruments (different woods, tuning slide, rings, end cap, additional finishing). While these additions may change the way an instrument performs, such changes won't always sound better to everyone and the only one who can tell you if you like those changes is you. I may be shooting myself in the foot here (I'm trying to thin out my herd) but an awful lot of folks here have testified that they really like the sound of basic all-wood flutes without all the other stuff added....
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

If you buy a higher end flute and decide you don't like it after a few months, chances are you'll still get 75% of the original price out of it resale. If you buy an 800$ flute and resell it six months later for 650$, you've basically just paid 150$ to rent it for six months. 25$ bucks a month to try out a flute? That's not that bad at all.
That's how I've justified my purchases so far.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.