Fake Accents

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I just talk and I don't really pick up accents but if I start mocking a British (for example) accent for a while I will start to actually be speaking that way. Once again I am a yank and I don't care. I have a friend who picks up accents really quickly.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Wombat wrote:taking the mickey
I think I get the gist of what this means, but can you more precisely explain it? I'll try real hard not to incorporate it in my speech. :)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I know a lot of Irish guys who have been in England for over forty years and more.They all sound like they just stepped off the Boat.
On the other hand,I know a couple of English guys who have never crossed the Irish Sea but have these strange Hollywood/Irish accents that come out when they are talking to the Irish boys.

My own accent is instantly recogniseable as Dublin and I have given strict instructions that if I ever develop a local accent, I am to be executed on the spot.

So far, so good I am glad to say... :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth,
It is about 06:00 in the Wombat cave as I write so on his behalf I send this..

take the mickey (out of someone) Vrb phrs. To tease, to ridicule. Also shortened to take the mick. An abbreviated form of the Cockney rhyming slang take the mickey bliss, meaning 'take the piss'. E.g."Stop taking the mickey out of Billy, he's very sensitive and you're upsetting him." Cf. 'take the Michael' and 'extract the Michael'. [1930s]

Hope this helps.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cynth wrote:
Wombat wrote:taking the mickey
I think I get the gist of what this means, but can you more precisely explain it? I'll try real hard not to incorporate it in my speech. :)
Micky is Micky Bliss. So it's rhyming slang for 'take the piss' which in turn is non-rhyming slang for mock. Pretty obvious, eh? This stuff comes naturally to Cockneys and Aussies.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thanks, dubh and Wombat. I see the relation between rhyming bliss with piss. But what does mickey or Michael have to do with bliss? Oh, is Micky Bliss a person I should have heard of?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Kevin, I don't get what's the harm in it? If somebody wants to be self-expressed by putting on a fake accent then so what? :-? I knew a girl years ago who always talked with a good albeit completely fake English accent. I don't think she had ever even been to England. :lol: Everyone liked her just fine. It was just how she chose to show up.

Best,
Paul
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

Being from Boston, my accent is far too bizarre to get away from. Sometimes I'll make more of an effort to pronounce my 'r's, but that's about it.

Of course, living with an Irish woman, I'm picking up some strange phrases, and using words like "lovely" and "grand".

:o
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

What do you "self-express" by using a phony accent? Like, gawd, why don't you talk like who you are, right?
I like to lapse into dialects or imitate people a lot myself, but I'm never seriously trying to come across as being from somewhere else. That's...weird!
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

When you sing, do you often acquire the accent of the person whose version of the song you're singing? I often catch myself using a bit of Brogue while singing Clancy Brothers songs. :o

And Paul, what's with the avatar? Is that Hound Dog Taylor, or was there a second hand involved? :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Paul

Post by Paul »

why don't you talk like who you are, right?
I got it, Kevin. But, when I'm thinking about who we are, I'm referring to who we choose to be in the moment - not who we are by pre-conceived notions or what we've learned. Full freedom of self-expression, when allowed, can manifest itself in many unexpected ways.

People show up with bizarre clothing or a fake accent or some ridiculous story have chosen to show up in the space like that. I think it's cool. I like characters. I'm sure you have read about Norton the First, Emporer of the United States. I would have loved to have met that guy.

Best,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

BrassBlower wrote:And Paul, what's with the avatar? Is that Hound Dog Taylor, or was there a second hand involved? :boggle:
Ahh, yes. Tis a miracle of Photoshop! And a reflection of the fact I do have my fingers figuretively crossed as I am anticipating the coming together of a really special deal! :)

@Kevin: Good thread, BTW!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cynth wrote:Thanks, dubh and Wombat. I see the relation between rhyming bliss with piss.
Don't we have some kind of saying here that has to do with Mickey too? Something about slipping someone a Mickey? Or do I have that wrong? It has to do with drugs I think :P
As for accents, the only accent I tend to speak with without trying to is the "close to Philadelphia" accent. It's not really Philly, because I'm from....ahem....Trenton, NJ (although if you accuse me of that, I'll deny it ;) ). Whenever I'm back in that area, I pick it right back up. Other than that, except for when I'm being silly, I don't speak with an accent at all. :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

BrassBlower wrote:When you sing, do you often acquire the accent of the person whose version of the song you're singing?
Ever try to sing songs like "Clemintine" without a fake accent? It sounds ridiculous.

Think of this in a proper english teacher's voice

Barker Bradford, 1885

In the centre of a golden valley,
Dwellt a maiden all divine,
A pretty creature a miner's daughter
And her name was Clementine.

Refrain:
Oh my darling, oh my darling,
My darling Clementine,
You are lost for me forever,
Dreadful sorry, Clementine.

Her noble father was the forman
Of ev'ry valued mine,
And ev'ry miner and ranchman
Was a brother to Clementine.

The foreman miner, an old forty niner,
In dreams and thoughts sublime,
Lived in comfort with his daughter,
His pretty child Clementine.

Stopped before the sad part

http://ingeb.org/songs/inacaver.html
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I.D.10-t wrote:Ever try to sing songs like "Clemintine" without a fake accent? It sounds ridiculous.
There's no way I'd get away with singing "Clementine" without the proper accent. I think my kids would tar and feather me if I did! :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.