Glenn Schultz: The Living Thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

KCJiang wrote:To Glenn's Family and Loved Ones: I am sorry for your loss.

A old Chinese proverb: A good person's life is like a beautiful poetry.

Glenn not only made wonderful whistles, his life is a beautiful poetry and touched many people's heart.
For those interested in Glenn's wonderful, moving poetry, you can get a copy of his book, The Verser's Curse here:

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/It ... ~4091.aspx

Highly recommended!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dulcie22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Glenn

Post by dulcie22 »

Glenn was my friend, although I never met him in person. We spend many nights chatting late on AOL during a particularly stressful period in his life, and he sent me tapes and poems to continue our conversations. We had many mutual friends--so the fact that we never met face-to-face did not seem to be an issue for either of us. I play his whistles regularly, and I too experienced his generosity when he couldn't repair my used Water Weasle and just sent me a replacement to 'make it right'.

It's taken me several weeks to even come to this site and say goodbye--and I've learned that I will be saying goodbye to Glenn Schultz for a long time to come.

judith
Judith
Member of the Hurdy Gurdy Drone Conspiracy and Whistle Terrorism Collective
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

In going through my old emails, I found this poem that Glenn shared last year... it was written at the end of December, 1999.

'Tis the gathering of daylight in array upon the field;
'Tis the war 'tween light and darkness, and the lesser knight maun yield.
We are past the winter solstice, and the clipping of a moon
Shows a bashful face reluctantly the snowy waste aboon.
'Tis the hour of long shadow, if there shadow be at all,
'Tis the hour of half-heard echo within the drafty hall;
'Tis the time of daily reckoning, all fortune to display!
Strange how senses are extended at the dark'ning of the day...

There's my mother, there my father; there by God's a childhood friend!
Did I swear to meet him halfway? Did I swear unto the end?
I upbraid my Catholic conscience, but I cannot bring to mind
All the gifts laid at my table, nor the vow I gave in kind.
Jesus help me! Am I destined for this path to tread along
Knowing not my own forgiveness, much less how to right the wrong?
Will I walk in errant blindness, full of sorrow and dismay
As my world comes home to find me at the dark'ning of the day?

I be potent! I be fruitful! I be yet the one who drew
The straw which made me draw my steel to see the battle through!
I shall ride on quest unending, all opponents for to shame,
And the glory of that quest shall be the glory of my name.
I shall ride upright in saddle, my good horse beneath my seat
And the glory that is mine shall in no wise admit defeat;
For a life well lived is worthless if in fact we shun the fray,
And I'll have scant time to mourn upon the dark'ning of the day.

Glenn A Schultz 12-29-99

anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tres

Post by Tres »

He was a true gentleman, wonderful to deal with, a great whistle maker, and a poet. He will be missed.

Tres
EBSFiddler

Glenn's Accordion

Post by EBSFiddler »

[color=darkblue][size=18]My deepest sympathies go out to Vicki, Bree, Cody, and the rest of the Schultz family. I know this is a forum for woodwind players & instrument makers. I just wanted to say a few words about Glenn’s incredible skill as a musician. As an Accordionist and as a Guitarist, he was the best I have ever worked with. I had the honor of standing next to him and his Accordion through my most formative years as a young fiddler. I much regret loosing touch with him over the last decade. Many of the most important things I learned about playing fiddle, I learned by trying to copy what Glenn was doing on the Accordion. His musical influence will never be forgotten.

Erik Sanderson[/size][/color]
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

I hope he knew while he alive how many people thought so highly of him.

If there is a lesson to be learned, perhaps it is to let those we care for know it more often and more clearly.

A tip of a cold one to all here, in Glenn's memory!
anniemcu
---
---
---
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

It has been some comfort to have Glenn there when I sign on to the site - an instant reminder of his grace and "don't sweat the small stuff' demeanor.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

anniemcu wrote:I hope he knew while he alive how many people thought so highly of him.

If there is a lesson to be learned, perhaps it is to let those we care for know it more often and more clearly.

A tip of a cold one to all here, in Glenn's memory!
Hear, hear!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
WeaselMaid

Post by WeaselMaid »

I haven't checked in for a time... putting the pieces back together at home is a larger task than I had anticipated, even in my worst estimates. We are beginning to succeed at approaching a normal life again - huzzah.
Thank you, all, again, for the kind words.

Wanted to let y'all know that we finished recording Modesty Forbids' third CD just before Da went into the hospital. (No surprise he was pushing for completion, the old sausage had us all fooled.)

We are in the semi- to -mostly- final stages of compiling the liner notes and graphics, so keep an eye on www.thinweasel.com for updates and ordering information. We're expecting a veritable deluge of orders for this hot little item :thumbsup:

cheers!
-Bree
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

WeaselMaid wrote:I haven't checked in for a time... putting the pieces back together at home is a larger task than I had anticipated, even in my worst estimates. We are beginning to succeed at approaching a normal life again - huzzah.
Thank you, all, again, for the kind words.

Wanted to let y'all know that we finished recording Modesty Forbids' third CD just before Da went into the hospital. (No surprise he was pushing for completion, the old sausage had us all fooled.)

We are in the semi- to -mostly- final stages of compiling the liner notes and graphics, so keep an eye on www.thinweasel.com for updates and ordering information. We're expecting a veritable deluge of orders for this hot little item :thumbsup:

cheers!
-Bree
Good to hear from you! I for one, am putting aside the cashola now for that CD.
anniemcu
---
---
---
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

WeaselMaid wrote:We are in the semi- to -mostly- final stages of compiling the liner notes and graphics, so keep an eye on www.thinweasel.com for updates and ordering information. We're expecting a veritable deluge of orders for this hot little item :thumbsup:

cheers!
-Bree
I have one of the older CDs (Calliope House) and love it. Still have any of the other?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pureshift

Post by pureshift »

Wow, that's really great (about the CD). I just recently found out about Glenns passing (yesterday). I had purchased an E whistle 3 months before his passing. I didn't know the man well, but I was very greatful when he quickly replaced the first whistle that arived to me damaged by postal sevice. I looked him up again in hopes to purchase a low D after my wedding in November. I'll now treasure the E whistle I have, and I hope to do it justice as I keep learning.

William
http://www.pureshift.com
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I might have to put aside some cashola also. One of my favorite whistles is my Water Weasel Eb I just wish I had one of his Flutes as I played Paul Busman's once and it was probably the best Flute I had ever played it had bridged the Rudall Pratten gap it had the beauty of a Rudall and the power of a Pratten.
talimirr743

Re: Glenn

Post by talimirr743 »

dulcie22 wrote:Glenn was my friend, although I never met him in person. We spend many nights chatting late on AOL during a particularly stressful period in his life, and he sent me tapes and poems to continue our conversations. We had many mutual friends--so the fact that we never met face-to-face did not seem to be an issue for either of us. I play his whistles regularly, and I too experienced his generosity when he couldn't repair my used Water Weasle and just sent me a replacement to 'make it right'.

It's taken me several weeks to even come to this site and say goodbye--and I've learned that I will be saying goodbye to Glenn Schultz for a long time to come.

judith
:cry:
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
WeaselMaid

Post by WeaselMaid »

Bree here, checking in... it's been a time.

Little status on our CD project, as previously mentioned. Our Dulcimer player is also the resident artistic guru-guy, working the art and the liner guts for our new CD. He's come up with a new idea, after struggling for several months with the old concept to no avail.

Shorter rather than longer, the CD is taking more time to complete, but we're still working toward the end product.

Thanks, everyone, for keeping us in your thoughts and such
Look for updates about the release date on www.thinweasel.com

Cheers!
Bree