Is Tom Cruise the anti-Christ or what?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is Tom Cruise the anti-Christ or what?

Post by The Weekenders »

I mean, really, this guy is on every newspaper, tv promo, magazine, yikes.

If this is Gilder's described corporate media bus, I definitely wanna hoof it....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Ooh, you're gonna join Nano on the Enemies List! :o
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack

Post by Jack »

He is lovingly misinformed.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

He's just another silly bugger who thinks celebrity is the same as importance.

I heard him gush over his new love, what's-her-face, and couldn't help thinking about how he bungled his relationship with Nicole Kidman. He traded a woman for a girl and thinks he done good.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
perrins57

Re: Is Tom Cruise the anti-Christ or what?

Post by perrins57 »

The Weekenders wrote:I mean, really, this guy is on every newspaper, tv promo, magazine, yikes.

If this is Gilder's described corporate media bus, I definitely wanna hoof it....
I think its really unfair to attack Phil Hardy in this way . . .Opps sorry wrong thread. I'll get my coat.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

:lol: Nice, Perrins!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Random notes wrote:He's just another silly bugger who thinks celebrity is the same as importance.

I heard him gush over his new love, what's-her-face, and couldn't help thinking about how he bungled his relationship with Nicole Kidman. He traded a woman for a girl and thinks he done good.

Roger
I know this is possibly kerosene on the campfire, but as far as I can tell, a Scientologist can not truly love another person, because then they would no longer be "clear." They spend a fortune getting "clear" of those many human emotions, like guilt, obligation, blind faith, that actually define most people.

Which leads me to the very dark conclusion that Cruise is on the ego trip that comes with the primary infatuation period of love, NOT to be followed by the deep love that lasts.

Aw, go ahead and discuss.....I'll put on my flame-retardant helmet.

And PS, yeah, Nicole Kidman rings my chimes.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I'm goin' to puke now! And save myself from a rant!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, Weeks! Welcome to The List. :twisted:

Un-Clear and proud,

Nano
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Hey, Weeks! Welcome to The List. :twisted:

Un-Clear and proud,

Nano
completely muddled and murky here.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:Hey, Weeks! Welcome to The List. :twisted:

Un-Clear and proud,

Nano
I'm also unclear. I think nobody on this forum is a Scientologist, although a couple have dated them.

Scientology, I've heard it said, claims many millions more members that it actually has, but the ones it does have are often quite wealthy and famous, so the religion seems to have more of a presense in the world than it really does.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Scientology is a cult that preys on the weak of mind. Check out Operation Clambake at:
http://www.xenu.net/

They use celebrity members to lure ordinary saps. As far as I am concerned, Scientology is not merely bogus but so obviously bogus that a person has to be severely emotionally or cognitively damaged to buy into it at all.

If Nicole had only returned my calls, I could have saved her a lot of heartbreak.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't generally like to comment on people's appearance, but I've often wondered something--what do people find so alluring about Nicole Kidman?

Hollywood tells everybody they have to be tan and blonde to be pretty or sucessful, but Nicole Kidman is obviously neither. I guess she is super-thin (and tall), though...
djm

Post by djm »

Cran wrote:she is super-thin (and tall), though...
She's got a cute little nose, and a twinkle in her eye, and she's flat chested ... oops! .... er ..... and she's got a cute little nose .... I guess ..... :oops:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I have known two Scientologists, one was my boss, about 12 years ago. She was an emotionally unstable person with many "issues." She lived very simply, and saved all her money and periodically parted with sums like 6,000 and once 12,000 dollars to get to some next level of "clear."

We had very long phone conversations and from everything I gathered, the whole point was to eliminate negative emotional feelings and ties. But to me, the larger implication was that it created, in the absolute sense, a truly AMORAL person, constrained only by the logic of the results of the legal system. In other words, one could be clear to do just about anything to anyone else who stood in the way of acquisition and progress for the person, but it would be smart to stay within the bounds of the legal system so that nothing negative would happen. Now, I didn't say IMMORAL, because it SEEMED to me that morality was sort of irrelevant in the way I understood it.

I never felt it gave her happiness because she was always steps away from it. I knew another casually who was also always trying to raise money.

I read a very detailed book that was critical of Scientology in the mid-90s, I wish I could remember the name of it. It went into great detail of the history of it, the behavior of its founder and its executives, who were apparently very successful at squelching negative publicity about the group via lawsuits, harassment, etc. The book seemed pretty thorough but of course much was allegations, etc. written from a critical viewpoint.

To me, Scientology will ultimately result in Seamless Sociopathy and I find it one of the scarier aspects of secularism.