Buy a SUSATO High D/Kevin Crawford Pro-file

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Feadin wrote: And in my opinion Phil is doing a great thing reviewing and letting other people hear whistles from other makers. I think it's completely fair to have to go to his site to see the clips... after all the maker and the player are both the same person.
I would agree with you if his website was whistleplaying.com or something similar, but the url is kerrywhistles.com, and any mention to his website, whatever the reason, sounds like a marketing jab to me. So it's all too easy to go around, look nice and spam kerrywhistles.com. Most other makers would never use their website in their posts like he does. Ever wondered why? Now that's some meat to reply to, ohhh horde of Philly's defenders!
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Azalin wrote:I would agree with you if his website was whistleplaying.com or something similar, but the url is kerrywhistles.com, and any mention to his website, whatever the reason, sounds like a marketing jab to me. So it's all too easy to go around, look nice and spam kerrywhistles.com. Most other makers would never use their website in their posts like he does. Ever wondered why? Now that's some meat to reply to, ohhh horde of Philly's defenders!

Promote whistling at all costs!
Ian
Last edited by Impempe on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Feadin »

Azalin wrote: I would agree with you if his website was whistleplaying.com or something similar, but the url is kerrywhistles.com, and any mention to his website, whatever the reason, sounds like a marketing jab to me. So it's all too easy to go around, look nice and spam kerrywhistles.com. Most other makers would never use their website in their posts like he does. Ever wondered why? Now that's some meat to reply to, ohhh horde of Philly's defenders!
So, are you saying that because he's a whistle maker it shouldn't be allowed to express his opinion? Or review other whistles? Or maybe that he should make a new website with a different name an no references to his whistles (only to other maker's) just because you don't like reading www.kerrywhistles.com ?
Everything is a give and take, doesn't matter if you're aware of that or you are not. I believe that the video is worth a visit to www.kerrywhistles.com (even when I'm not a Susato fan). And if I didn't like Phil, I wouldn't read any posts made by him, is really that simple IMO ;)
Cristian Feldman
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Azalin wrote: I would agree with you if his website was whistleplaying.com or something similar, but the url is kerrywhistles.com, and any mention to his website, whatever the reason, sounds like a marketing jab to me. So it's all too easy to go around, look nice and spam kerrywhistles.com. Most other makers would never use their website in their posts like he does. Ever wondered why? Now that's some meat to reply to, ohhh horde of Philly's defenders!

Who cares :-?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Feadin wrote: So, are you saying that because he's a whistle maker it shouldn't be allowed to express his opinion? Or review other whistles? Or maybe that he should make a new website with a different name an no references to his whistles (only to other maker's) just because you don't like reading www.kerrywhistles.com ?
Everything is a give and take, doesn't matter if you're aware of that or you are not. I believe that the video is worth a visit to www.kerrywhistles.com (even when I'm not a Susato fan). And if I didn't like Phil, I wouldn't read any posts made by him, is really that simple IMO ;)
I think there's a small number of very vocal people who have a "if you're not for me, you're against me" attitude when it comes to Phil. This isn't really constructive, but this kind of zealotry among a small minority is able to be found anywhere people gather to talk about a subject, really. I'm sure that there are people on African Violet growers sites who argure bitterly about points of contention that'd just leave me puzzling in wonderment.

I myself have been on the receiving end of some hard words in here in public, and in my email box in private, simply because I choose a more middle ground and don't profess hate for the guy, and happen to have liked some of his whistles.

Eventually, it'll becomes pretty obvious which posters are likely to stir the pot whenever Phil's name is mentioned, even if it does start to sound a bit like a broken record after a while.
Last edited by Wanderer on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Azalin wrote:
I would agree with you if his website was whistleplaying.com or something similar, but the url is kerrywhistles.com, and any mention to his website, whatever the reason, sounds like a marketing jab to me. So it's all too easy to go around, look nice and spam kerrywhistles.com. Most other makers would never use their website in their posts like he does. Ever wondered why? Now that's some meat to reply to, ohhh horde of Philly's defenders!
As I've already said I've succesfully visited his site many times without giving in to the urge to buy his whisltes. I dont know Phil from Adam, he could be the one person on earth worth knowing or the Anti-Christ, I dont know? But if you expect him to host two sites (commercial and non-comm) just because youre afraid hes trying to sell you something, you must be very open to the power of suggestion. Try this, visit his site, get out of it what you wish, ignore the rest. It wont corrupt you and you wont feel violated. If you cant do this, you've got issues!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wanderer wrote: I myself have been on the receiving end of some hard words in here in public, and in my email box in private, simply because I choose a more middle ground and don't profess hate for the guy, and happen to have liked some of his whistles.
So if you disagree with Phil's posting his url you profess hate for the guy? This thread makes me smile at those "professing" peace, as the first personnal attack in here obviously came from Phil. I think what's wrong is the fact that you can't accuse a whistle maker of using the board as a marketing tool without getting personnal attacks from the maker, or "get a life" comments from some others. At the end of the day, those promoting "peace" are always the ones using insults, personnal attacks, etc. We've got a great example here, in this thread. Keep on the good work, "peacemakers"! :roll:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Azalin wrote:
So if you disagree with Phil's posting his url you profess hate for the guy?
That isn't what I said at all. That's a strawman, and completely contrary to my views on the matter.

On the other hand, exactly what I have said is true: I have been taken to task for not professing dislike for Phil. Perhaps you should look within yourself to find out why you feel defensive about a story that I told solely about myself and my own experience.
Azalin wrote: At the end of the day, those promoting "peace" are always the ones using insults, personnal attacks, etc.
I'm pretty sure my post was free of personal attacks. I did use the word "zealotry", meaning "excessive intolerance of opposing views ". I did not use that word to specifically describe the vocal "anti-phil" crowd, and in fact, intended it to be used to describe certain individuals on both sides of that fence.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Well, that's my absolute favorite K.C (or anyone, for that matter) whistle tune ~ can't imagine how he does it ~ Thanks for that one, Phil.

Az, you are very young. It's not a crime.

Mary
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Az, you are very young. It's not a crime.
The only crime about youth is...

...it's wasted on the young. :D

I'm joking. Cummon, just joking. I can joke, I just turned 45 yesterday. :o

About Phil: Right or not - I've got a lot from his commercial site (movies, tutorials, tips & etc.) and never paid him a dime nor bought one of his whistles. Furthermore, he never even asked me to buy one of his whistles. I may buy one some day - but for now I'll take advantage of the freebies. :roll:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: Az, you are very young. It's not a crime.
Alas, I don't think we can blame this on age. Thanks for trying to help though :D
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I hate to break it to you, but Az is no longer young. I just had a birthday not too long ago and he is 8 years older than I. So you can't use age to throw out his arguments.

My arguements, however, can.
No I'm not returning...
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I concur entirely Phil! I love my Susatos...I bought my first one used through here just to try it out and it was instant love. I've run out and bought ones in C, Bb, A, and G since then and am working at building the rest of the collection. And it certainly helps knowing such a great player chooses them too. :)

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Elmore

SUSATO high D

Post by Elmore »

Do you recommend an "S" series fixed tuning or what?
"Imagination without education is like a bird without feet"
"Feet entangle birds, words...men"
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

On the subject of people making a Susato sound really good, check out Cormac Breatneach - http://www.cormacbreatnach.com/mm_video.asp .
Both on the video clip with Vanessa Williams and on his CD 'Whistle and guitar' he gets a great tone. Shows what you can do when you have the ability and application. In my opinion its the final nail in the 'Susatos dont sound any good' opinion, cause they do if the player can play!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)