O-ring problems with Burke Session Pro

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

This morning I noticed that the O-ring seal on my Burke D had become dislodged. I was having trouble persuading it to go back into place, and then it broke.

Any of you Burke fans know what to do? Can I find a replacement easily and fit it? Where does it go, and just how do you get the damned thing in there? I'd prefer not to go through Mike, who seems very busy just now.

I always suspected that this O-ring idea might cause trouble down the road. In fact, amusingly, I think the dislodging must have happened when I showed the whistle to John Sindt at East Durham. Out of curiosity he immediately pulled the head joint apart, which I think you're not supposed to do. I rarely play the whistle, so I only noticed the problem today.

Anyway, all offers of help gratefully received.
sbruyette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sbruyette »

Don't hesitate to send it in for repairs. I sent my WBB to Mike because the little metal piece inside the tube came out. The whole process took less than 2 weeks and he wouldn't accept anything for the repair and the whistle was all shined up.
Susan
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

You can get o-rings at any hardware store. You need to buy one that is smaller than the size of the tube but big enough that it can be stretch to go on the tube (this will give it a tight fit). Then use some silicon or other lube to make it easier to put the head over the tube.

Joe
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2001-08-17 10:31, jmssmh wrote:
You need to buy one that is smaller than the size of the tube but big enough that it can be stretch to go on the tube (this will give it a tight fit). Then use some silicon or other lube to make it easier to put the head over the tube.
Thanks Joe. I take it you are saying to put the ring on the bottom (narrowest) section of the head joint and then slide it into the barrel with the ring in place, am I right?

I was trying to get it to sit against the flange inside the barrel and then insert the head joint. On reflection this seems pretty dumb. A bit like putting a condom... well, never mind. I guess I'm mechanically challenged.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

A bit like putting a condom... well, never mind.
Hee hee!

:smile:
Constance

Post by Constance »

Stephen, Your are correct in that you must first install the o-ring into the recess that is made for it and then gently install the tube into the o-ring. I recently instpected one of Mike's c whistles and this is how it was done. As to where to get the o-ring I think it is best to have Mike send you one for it is very important to have the size exact.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Judging by the O-rings on the Burkes I have (Low D AL PRO and Brass C) I'd agree with Constance - You're going to have to find a way to press the O-ring into it's "Seat", the groove in the headjoint that holds it in place. Only then will you be able to place the body tube into the headjoint.

Better order the part from Mike and ask him how to install it so you don't damage the new O-ring.

BTW Steve, I've pulled both my "O-Ringed" Burkes apart on several occasions with no problems. If the O-ring is seated properly it shouldn't pop out, seems you just got unlucky. Either that or John sabatoged your Burke in an effort to get you to order some Sindts :smile:

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2001-08-17 11:48 ]</font>
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Rubber O-rings come in standard SAE or metric sizes. Metric is standard in most of the world except the USA (for some silly reason). If it were me, I'd just e-mail Mike and ask what size he used and then pick up a few replacements at a hardware or plumbing supply store. Like condoms, be careful with your selection of lubricant as some will attack the rubber and turn it into a gooey mess :wink: Silicone is usually safe for rubber. Maybe ask Mike for his recommendation.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

My O-ring displaces fairly easily, and replaces just as easily. I would NOT recommend sending the whistle back! That is a MINIMUM of 5 days whistleless, for something that can be dealt with very easily. O-rings are cheap cheap cheap and easy to get at a hardware store, bring the broken one, or Michael may be able to tell you in email what size to look for, or wait 3 days and I'll take my oring in and figure out what size it is for you!.

Inside the bore of the main shaft is a little recessed groove. Use your narrowest finger to shift the ring so it sits in the groove all the way around. A dab of silicone or vaseline smeared on the ring lets the headpiece shift without displacing the oring.

best o luck!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

The o-ring came out of my Burke once, but it was undamaged. I e-mailed Mike and he told me to use a pencil to push the o-ring back down the tube until it fit into its groove. The groove is hard to see, but just trust that it's there. The o-ring will pop in when it gets there.

Later I met Mike in St. Louis and asked him what size o-rings he used (for a wide bore D). He told me but, darn it, I forgot before I could get to a hardware store. I think they are designated by a number -- no. 13 or no. 15 -- something like that. If anyone finds out the size, please post it. I would like to pick up a few to keep as spares.

--Jay
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Ohhh... I'd be careful with that Vaseline. Silicone is one thing, petroleum jelly loves to eat away at rubber...
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Interesting. . .the oring isn't rubber, it's some plasticky thing. And if I'm not mistaken, the paper that came with my whistle stated specifically that Vaseline was appropriate for the slide betwixt head and body. I usually use cork grease, but Vaseline is so much cheaper! If anyone has any input on this, I'd appreciate.

Does anyone have that little piece of paper handy? It also mentioned cleaning with a small amount of brass cleaner. I really like my whistle shiny, so I use Brasso on it before session, about twice a week. My husband thinks I'm going to get Brasso toxicity.

In regard to wearing out the composite whistle, would cork grease/vaseline/silicone have made it last longer?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2001-08-17 13:32 ]</font>
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

If the O-ring is synthetic, you're probably safe. I know for certain that if it's natural rubber, Valeline will eat away at it in no time... (Which is why you use KY jelly instead of Valeline when using a condom... tmi? I think so...)

Dr "Ruth" Gigglesheimer... :lol:
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

Didn't they rename it Y2K jelly last year?
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I heard they are comming out with a jam also