A "tip" for beginners/intermediate players

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Whitmores75087 wrote:Talbert, I have to assume you're not aware of what a metronome is. Look it up on Google or E-bay. Handy dandy little things. Does what the clock will do, but you can vary the timing of the beat.
Of course Talbert knows what a metronome is. That's silly. He's suggesting a visual alternative. Obviously, it only counts at a certain speed. But the point is to develop your internal sense of rhythm if it isn't inborn.
boomerang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boomerang »

See what an education a person is able to get from intelligent discussion,
clocks to help learners,
an in depth discussion on kudos......see no apostrophe
the benefits of nose grease
davy spillane clocks....i gotta get me one of those, i hope it comes in brass,
still waiting on the recipies on how to cook those kudos,
while steve has invented a new place to store em,
i never knew learning could be so much fun
kudos all
DOH..... :lol:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Someone on a past thread mentioned that s/he had a metronome with a flashing light on it which was easier for that person to follow than the ticking sound. If someone does better visually but might have trouble seeing the second hand on a clock (I would probably have to squint), there might be metronomes with lights on them. The speed could then be altered as well.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Cynth wrote:Someone on a past thread mentioned that s/he had a metronome with a flashing light on it which was easier for that person to follow than the ticking sound. If someone does better visually but might have trouble seeing the second hand on a clock (I would probably have to squint), there might be metronomes with lights on them. The speed could then be altered as well.
There are even metronomes with a little waving arm that moves at the same rate as the ticking. Had 'em even before that new-fangled electronic stuff.

What is this traditional stuff I keep hearing about? Am I playing the wrong kind of music on my whistle?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Uh, well now that you mention it. That's the kind of metronome I use. I'm not sure watching the arm would help---I wouldn't know when it had come to the end of its swing or something. But then I listen to the tick and any visual method would be harder for me.
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

metronome

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Metronomes are really decent & very handy to use. But, everything gets so expensive when you start to invest in them. My alternative was to try something that really worked & that was cost effective (free by using the clock method). It's nice for beginners & cost effective for them at the same time.

Rhythm is sometimes hard for some & does not come naturally. It has to be learned over time. Some people are simply gifted & need very little help along the way. I do not consider myself a gifted player. I need to work at the music like most. I still have a really long way to go to get really good at the Low Whistles. But, I am trying different things to solve those problems. As long as I am still alive to learn then I am happy to keep learning because the process never stops. That's the beauty of what we do. We find it really hard to become good players. But there is always that one day when you look up & you see yourself playing & it does not sound like you but rather some other wonderful player! One day maybe I will feel this way. All in time ofcourse. I speak for many who like myself are still trying to reach that goal in life, musically.

P.S. I am all for cost free alternatives to improve at the music if at all possible.

Talbert
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

Word
Denny

Re: metronome

Post by Denny »

talbert st.claire wrote:Metronomes are really decent & very handy to use. But, everything gets so expensive when you start to invest in them.
affordable metronome

is not too tricky, eh?
emmline

Post by emmline »

It is the nature of the chiffbeast to be contrary.
It is the nature of the chiffbeast to razz.
That's just the nature of the chiffbeast.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

What a great site denny
thanks for sharing
regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Denny

Post by Denny »

boomerang wrote:What a great site denny
thanks for sharing
regards
David
It would be better if I could remember who I got it from so that I could credit them...maybe it will come to me.
Sometimes its all I can do to remember that I have a bookmark.

Ah, Jon C. on the Flute Forum this thread
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

there are many free metronomes online...this is just one of them
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Cynth wrote:
Someone on a past thread mentioned that s/he had a metronome with a flashing light on it which was easier for that person to follow than the ticking sound.
Cool! You mean I don't have to go to K-Mart everytime I want to practice the whistle? :lol:

(Sorry, I'll retreat to the "dark side" (uilleann forum) now) :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Tyghress wrote:http://www.metronomeonline.com/

there are many free metronomes online...this is just one of them

And you don't need to sit online for hours to use them. If you right-click and 'save as' on the following link:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/flash/Metronome.swf

you can save the shockwave flash file to your pc. Then, when you're offline (assuming you don't have broadband always-on) you just drag this file into your browser window and bob's yer uncle. Pity it doesn't flash...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Denny wrote: It would be better if I could remember who I got it from so that I could credit them...maybe it will come to me.
Sometimes its all I can do to remember that I have a bookmark.
Thanks for the link Denny!

I used to bookmark stuff like this...especially flash games that my son likes to play.

Then, we ran into the situation where he wanted to play a game on a site that had gone down, and his little 3-year-old (he's 4 now) heart broke.

Now, if the game or utility is in shockwave flash (and this one is), I just copy the .swf file someplace safe on my hard drive. I do it with everything I find interesting....including the BBC's virtual session (which is really a couple-dozen shockwave files).

The first time you double-click a .swf file, your machine will probably say "open with what?" and give you a big list. Choose Internet Explorer (or Firefox, like me), and choose "always open this type file with this application" and you're good to go. :)

Edit to bow down before Gary, who beat me to the idea ;)